MTA Looking at bringing back (F) Culver Express (NY Post)

Wallyhorse

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the three trains per hour for the express service?

Because you can't really do any more than that. What, send half of (F) trains express? Do that and see what Carroll Gardens and Park Slope say.

Because you can't really do any more than that. What, send half of (F) trains express? Do that and see what Carroll Gardens and Park Slope say.

Dont make sense RTO Wise thats why..

Dont matter Now RTO came to their senses(like most of us who work for them knew) they would.

In theory, they could go back to the old 18 (F) /12 (E) balance to achieve express service with current rolling stock. That would let them send a few (F) per hour as express.

Bingo.

But as Culver said, and it makes sense to me, this could cause major problems with headways and congestion on the (E) as far as the QBL but CBTC should fix that. Indirectly it can even cause problems on 8th Ave with a sudden lack of local service because of congestion on the QBL because of the increase in frequency on the (F). ( and the proposed (V) ) And if the MTA planners decide to reactivate the (V)? They have a major challenge on their hands. Yep we need CBTC on the QBL for all this to work.

Wow this is getting complicated really fast.

But Culver also said they could go back to a 12 (E)/18 (F) split (which existed prior to the creation of the original (V) service), then just send a few (F) trains (possibly designated as (V) ) express. That might not be so bad, because Jamaica Center can only handle up to 12 tph as it is and there is almost always a wait to get into WTC during the rush. Then split the 18 (F) 's into 12 locals and six expresses. It seems pretty doable to me and it doesn't require rearranging the whole alphabet to accommodate an unneeded (C) train on the Culver Line.

Perhaps they can do six trains per hour express between Church and Jay? Will Carroll Gardens and Park Slope riders really notice if the (F) local trains come every four minutes instead of every five?

DISCLAIMER: Not really a super serious idea. Just being super optimistic here.

I'll make one super sunny attempt at this:

(E) back to 12 tph

(F) back to 18 tph

During Rush Hours:

<F> runs b/w Coney Island and Jamaica

Express b/w Jay St and Church Ave

Runs at 6 tph*

(F) runs b/w Kings Highway and Jamaica

All local

Runs at 12 tph

All other times:

(F) local b/w Kings Highway**/Coney Island and Jamaica

^This is already too extreme. Why? Skipping Bergen, Carroll and 4 Ave/9 St is sub-optimal due to ridership there.

2011 annual ridership

Bergen 3,452,452

Carroll 3,598,477

4 Av/9 St 4,020,665

7 Av 3,934,545

Conclusion: Not really worth it.

*Too lazy to check on exact tph to Coney Island to rush hour as of current service levels; but this is likely still a cut. And as someone who uses the (F) as my home line, I can honestly say nobody would notice. Ridership south of Ditmas isn't exactly sky high in general.

**Still a couple of midday trains terminate there on the schedule.

Perhaps they can do six trains per hour express between Church and Jay? Will Carroll Gardens and Park Slope riders really notice if the (F) local trains come every four minutes instead of every five?

15 tph local = ~4 minute wait

9 tph local = ~6 2/3 minute wait

During rush hour, that makes a big difference.

Back to the back burner with this,

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39995-mta-unlikely-to-restore-f-train-express-service-in-brooklyn/?do=findComment&comment=654303

and now we do the dance of 1000 locks

:Lock:  :Lock:  :Lock: :Lock: :Lock:  :Lock:

Let the conversation continue. Reread the articles and see why we are discussing the deal behing the MTA Capital Capital Construction Comittee and their musings over such a proposal for the future. This is not a foamfest. This is a straight discusion based on speculation from factual information as per the MTA. Feel free to actually look at the articles and pdf's provided. It helps. Thanks.

Agreed. It is only Wallyhorse's needlessly complicated plan to reroute the (C) to the Culver Line and have the (E) take its place in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan that is a foam fest. Almost everything else in this thread is a legitimate discussion about a service that actually is possible.

There are about 5 tph on the Brighton Local in PM rush hour (about 12 minute wait) and the MTA doesn't care about it. That's a much bigger difference that what would be on the F Train..

I didn't say anything about running the (F) local at 9 tph. Running on five-minute headways would assume 12 tph, not nine. My suggestion (which first I made a long time ago in a past thread) was to run local (F) service at 10-12 tph and (V) express service at 6-8 tph. Combined (F)/(V) service would be at 18 tph, which in turn would require the (E) to run 12 tph.

I think the new < (F) > trains should terminate or originate at Kings Highway during rush hours so they can either become local (F) trains or deadhead into the Coney Island-Avenue X Yard.

If I'm correct I believe that's exactly how they arranged for turnarounds when the <F> was active.

Agreed. It is only Wallyhorse's needlessly complicated plan to reroute the (C) to the Culver Line and have the (E) take its place in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan that is a foam fest. Almost everything else in this thread is a legitimate discussion about a service that actually is possible.

Yeah straight dope he made a mess of things. If the mods see this my suggestion is that the thread RTOMan started and most of the comments here should be merged. Wallyhorse really f**ked up the thread.

Let me clarify things here with this thread starter recently made: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39995-mta-unlikely-to-restore-f-train-express-service-in-brooklyn/

The point of the other thread on this subject: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39985-mta-looking-at-bringing-back-f-culver-express-ny-post/ is based on the MTA Capital Construction Comittee and their fututre proposals regarding changes in Culver Viaduct service, not now. The sources provided from the MTA site confirms this.

Obviously the (F) express is a no go for now for reasons that we already know (Not enough rolling stock, no CBTC on QBL yet to conpensate for possible congestion with increases in (F) service, the dillemna with reactivating (V) service for the previous reason stated, the adverse effects on (G) service and comunity demand for local service) As far as i see it from the pdf documents I read and posted alludes to a plan that will be implemted in the future.

I think there's a mixup here. I'll leave it up to the mods. The two threads should be merged IMHO.

Let me clarify things here with this thread starter recently made: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39995-mta-unlikely-to-restore-f-train-express-service-in-brooklyn/

The point of the other thread on this subject: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39985-mta-looking-at-bringing-back-f-culver-express-ny-post/ is based on the MTA Capital Construction Comittee and their fututre proposals regarding changes in Culver Viaduct service, not now. The sources provided from the MTA site confirms this.

Obviously the (F) express is a no go for now for reasons that we already know (Not enough rolling stock, no CBTC on QBL yet to conpensate for possible congestion with increases in (F) service, the dillemna with reactivating (V) service for the previous reason stated, the adverse effects on (G) service and comunity demand for local service.) As far as I see it from the pdf documents I read and posted alludes to a plan that will be implemted in the future.

I think there's a mixup here. I'll leave it up to the mods. The two threads should be merged IMHO.

I didn't say anything about running the (F) local at 9 tph. Running on five-minute headways would assume 12 tph, not nine. My suggestion (which first I made a long time ago in a past thread) was to run local (F) service at 10-12 tph and (V) express service at 6-8 tph. Combined (F)/(V) service would be at 18 tph, which in turn would require the (E) to run 12 tph.

12/6 can work. Any less local service and it makes no sense. Again, as has been stated in the other thread, it requires the old E/F balance to return.

What am I reading?

To further sum it all up, BS. I would rather bring < (F)> back then do something as insane as what Wally is proposing. This is the real world not some fantasy wonderworld.

Archived