R62a #2211 had a rough night

poughkipsee

LOL at mtattrain's reactions. sounds like someone saying silly rabbit tricks are for kids.

yes it is 242-VCP. although that is not necessarily where the smashing occurred. poughkipsee, do you know where it occurred? did it happen while the train was in customer service? was anybody in the car injured?

The pic was taken at Van Cortlandt, and it happened during customer service. Shorter trips to just 14th st. There were no reports of injuries but whomever did that may have gotten into the cab since the train crew and passengers heard music playing over the PA.

@Quill- any broken glass requires the train be taken out of service immediately. Slightly messed up the overnight since we were a train down, had to get an extra board stripey to get a replacement from the yard

interesting. do you know what kind of music? two youths boarded my car at about 96 or 103 I think on an uptown (1) Saturday night. I got off at 137 at around 20:00. they rode past 137 to I do not know where. they had a boombox and had the song "Started from the Bottom" by Drake blasting. they were in the passenger area though; I never saw them in a cab. they blasted that music with all the explicit lyrics. one of the youths would get up at every station and look out to see if a cop or somebody else who could be a threat to their shenanigans was walking towards our car.

I thought about saying something but decided not to since I got off quick and did not feel like going all the way to the conductor to say anything (was in car #7 or 8). if it had been a NTT I may have gone to the next car ASAP (without going thru storm doors) and used the emergency intercom. definitely would have done so for something more serious (had a weed smoker on a northbound (2) at Bergen once and did just that; walked to the next car at Atlantic then used IC after Atlantic then the conductor went to deal with the weed smoker at Nevins) but in the case of Saturday I had misgivings about reporting since it was a less severe offense and I was thinking about the plight of the inner city youth who were not taught how to act in public and may have been undeservedly bothered by the police in the past.

yes there is the whole broken windows theory (no pun intended) but then there is also the thing about repression and whatnot (the book Sidewalk by Mitchell Duneier speaks out against the broken windows theory) etc etc sorry about this long digression.

I may have been soft but put it this way, if I had been on a NTT with a youth and responsible for the welfare of the youth I definitely would have reported (no need to run to the C/R, just use emergency IC). at the very least walk to the next car, whether the train has an emergency IC or not. a couple of the people in that car were jamming to the music which also made me think twice about reporting. but if I am responsible for the welfare of a youth I would not want the youth hearing the coarse language and stupidity emanating from the boombox. stupid Drake and all the other head case 'musicians'.

and the other thing was that, again, I was getting off soon and it is not convenient to get the crew's ATTN if you are on a non-NTT and not in an employee's car.

were any cab doors or cab windows broken such that they could get into a cab? was any cab door unlocked?

Please ignore post #13. I wanted to edit it but could not b/c I ran out of time and it would have taken too long to explain edits. So I pasted the edited version below.

interesting. do you know what kind of music? two youths boarded my car at about 96 or 103 I think on an uptown  (1) Saturday night. I got off at 137 at around 20:00. they rode past 137 to I do not know where. they had a boombox and had the song "Started from the Bottom" by Drake blasting. they were in the passenger area though; I never saw them in a cab. they blasted that music with all the explicit lyrics. one of the youths would get up at every station and look out to see if a cop or somebody else who could be a threat to their shenanigans was walking towards our car.

I thought about saying something but decided not to since I got off quick and did not feel like going all the way to the conductor to say anything (was in car #7 or 8). if it had been a NTT I may have gone to the next car ASAP (without going thru storm doors) and used the emergency intercom. definitely would have done so for something more serious (had a weed smoker on a northbound  (2) at Bergen once and did just that; walked to the next car at Atlantic then used IC after Atlantic then the conductor went to deal with the weed smoker at Nevins) but in the case of Saturday I had misgivings about reporting since it was a less severe offense and I was thinking about the plight of the inner city youth who were not taught how to act in public and may have been undeservedly bothered by the police in the past.

yes there is the whole broken windows theory (no pun intended) but then there is also the thing about repression and whatnot (the book Sidewalk by Mitchell Duneier speaks out against the broken windows theory) etc etc sorry about this long digression.

I may have been soft but put it this way, if I had been on a NTT with a youth and responsible for the welfare of the youth I definitely would have reported (no need to run to the C/R, just use emergency IC). at the very least walk to the next car, whether the train has an emergency IC or not. a couple of the people in that car were jamming to the music which also made me think twice about reporting. but if I am responsible for the welfare of a youth I would not want the youth hearing the coarse language and stupidity emanating from the boombox. stupid Drake and all the other head case 'musicians'.

and the other thing was that, again, I was getting off soon and it is not convenient to get the crew's ATTN if you are on a non-NTT and not in an employee's car. if it happens again I will most likely report it whether I am with a youth or not or on a NTT or not b/c the more I think about it the more I think I was being too soft in using the plight of the inner city youth as a reason not to report. it is an annoying ass subject tho since it is so effing controversial (stop and frisk comes to mind) plus you have the issue with kids' personalities being shaped before they become set in their ways and the possibility of increased aggression and hostility towards 'the man'

were any cab doors or cab windows broken such that they could get into a cab? was any cab door unlocked?

lol @ the cheap locking mechanism on those doors. I have some idea as to what it is from looking thru the door crack but have not been able to fully analyze the thing since I have never been able to look at it dead on since a cab door has never been open in my presence such that I could analyze for any significant period of time without arousing suspicion. do NTTs have better locks?

lol @ the cheap locking mechanism on those doors. I have some idea as to what it is from looking thru the door crack but have not been able to fully analyze the thing since I have never been able to look at it dead on since a cab door has never been open in my presence such that I could analyze for any significant period of time without arousing suspicion. do NTTs have better locks?

I know the same key is used, but I can't say for certain i'm not around the NTTs. I would think they lock better since those cabs were made full width. Whereas on the r62a they were originally single cabs that were later extended.

Archived