Which Bus route is best into LGA ...

sonnyinmiami

My starting point is GCT , taking the 7 train to which Queens Bus to get to LGA Terminal B by 8am on a Monday ... Google Maps has several different Bus Route options which is confusing. .. So , here I am asking the assistance of the good people of this forum to guide me. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Also... I bought a Metrocard back in December ... can I just reload it with Cash in order to avoid the $1.00 service fee ? I mentioned cash instead of Credit Card because in the past every time I try to use my Florida credit/debit/ATM cards the MTA machines won't complete the transaction. However I never have a problem when purchasing MNRR tickets ... strange but true...

My starting point is GCT , taking the 7 train to which Queens Bus to get to LGA Terminal B by 8am on a Monday ... Google Maps has several different Bus Route options which is confusing. .. So , here I am asking the assistance of the good people of this forum to guide me. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Take the (7) to 82nd Street/Jackson Heights, then take the Q33 to LGA Terminal B.

The best way of getting to LGA airport from Grand Central as follows:

Take the (7) from Grand Central (Fare has been raised to $2.50, so refill your card with at least $2.50 on it (only put $2.50 on there If you know your not going to use it again in the near future))

Take the (7) (LOCAL) to 74 Street-Broadway. Go to the front-middle of the platform or middle of the platform (Front-middle has an elevator if you have luggage), and go down to street level. Exit through the turnstiles, and walk straight forward. Once you go through those doors, you will be at the bus stop for the Q33 to LGA Airport (74 Street bus terminal).

Take the Q33 to LaGuardia airport (you should have a free transfer to the bus using your metrocard), I suggest you ask the driver what stop terminal B is at as the bus stops at different terminals for different airlines. He should tell you where to get off, once you get to the terminals (you will see all the terminals on your left, then the bus will enter the roadways serving the terminals), listen for the Bus Driver's announcements. 

You can use trip planner (go to mta.info , it should be on the homepage. If you get the weekender when going to mta.info, just go to the top and click on "MTA Home". like I said, it should be on the homepage) for specific times of what (7) to take and when the bus will be there / stop at the terminal. I suggest you travel a little early as a delay in service can happen at any time.

I'll reitterate here with some extra info.

Take the (7) local to 74th Street-Broadway, and take the exit out to the bus terminal. There, get the Q33 to LGA, and be prepared to maybe struggle with your luggage because there will be normal non-airport riders on the bus as well. I would actually recommend taking a taxi from GCT, but if you must rely on public transit this is the best way. Avoid the M60, not just because of bridge traffic but because of the route's unreliability.

As for your MetroCard question, the $1.00 fee only applies to new card purchases, not refills. I'd recommend putting at least $10 on your card, unless you don't plan to use it for a while, which in that case just put $2.50 on it. As for your credit/debit card issues, it may be worth it to contact the (MTA) about that, as you may not be the only one having those issues.

Take the (7) local to 74th Street-Broadway, and take the exit out to the bus terminal. There, get the Q33 to LGA, and be prepared to maybe struggle with your luggage because there will be normal non-airport riders on the bus as well. I would actually recommend taking a taxi from GCT, but if you must rely on public transit this is the best way. Avoid the M60, not just because of bridge traffic but because of the route's unreliability.

For simplicity's sake, 74th Street is better, since it's the starting point for the Q33. However, if he's concerned with the quickest way, I'd recommend going to 82nd Street (assuming he doesn't have too much luggage and needs an elevator), and then taking the Q33 there, to avoid the traffic on Roosevelt Avenue.

Out of curiosity, how reliable is the Q72 (say, the <7> pulled in first and he took it to Junction Blvd)?

take the (6) to 51st then use the (E) to jackson heights then use Q33. Soon later this year you will be able to use Q70.

Archived