The MTA's $1 MetroCard 'green' fee is producing unexpected revenue for the transit agency

Turbo19

Didn't realize my post would cause so much controversy lol...

Ironic true story: there was a Duane Reade in Chinatown that I used to go to. It went out of business. Good thing Duane Reade isn't actually omnipresent. Return Chinatown to the Chinese. I don't ever want to see another Seven Eleven, McDonald's, or and American chain business open in an ethnic place. I don't go to Koreatown for a Slurpee or Little Italy for a hamburger.

I was up in Riverdale just a few days ago. All the friends I was with were Latino or Black, of course.

I actually miss that Chinatown DR... it was a relatively clean establishment that cooled its drinks and other products reliably. I think the Halal stand that opened on Grand and Bowery is much more ironic :lol:. In any case a Duane Reade is probably better than yet another bubble tea joint...

The "green" fee will probably become less and less relevant whenever the MTA decides that it's ready for a systemwide smartcard rollout, and apparently the Metrocard can't stay past 2019.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Halal stand that opened on Grand and Bowery is much more ironic

I completely agree with you on that one... and yeah... I would prefer NOT to see another Quickly's or something else there... they're way too many in the first place

Ironic true story: there was a Duane Reade in Chinatown that I used to go to. It went out of business. Good thing Duane Reade isn't actually omnipresent. Return Chinatown to the Chinese. I don't ever want to see another Seven Eleven, McDonald's, or and American chain business open in an ethnic place. I don't go to Koreatown for a Slurpee or Little Italy for a hamburger.

Actually, if Chinatown should be returned to anyone it would be the Italians. If you knew your New York history, they were there long before the Chinese.

Actually, if Chinatown should be returned to anyone it would be the Italians.

If you knew your New York history, they were there long before the Chinese.

Yup..... Same thing I said to myself when I saw that comment.

"Little" Italy keeps getting smaller & smaller by the decade..... It's surrounded by chinatown on all four sides/borders....

Little Italy today's only like what, a handful of blocks.....

Isn't that the majority there? I went and that was pretty much the composition of the people around there.

LOL... I don't where you were but Riverdale is a white majority.  Maybe you were in Kingsbridge which people often mistake as Riverdale.  A little reading for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale,_NY

Maybe you saw places that said "Riverdale" on them along Broadway by say 231st street, but that is NOT Riverdale but Kingsbridge, which is heavily Black and Latino. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmg&biw=1241&bih=590&q=RIVERDALE,+NY+GOOGLE+MAPS&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c2f3b7724fc755:0xae59c5b9e1bc40d2,Riverdale,+Manhattan,+NY&gl=us&sa=X&ei=C5WXUdPZJNTl4APptYHQBw&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

Actually, if Chinatown should be returned to anyone it would be the Italians. If you knew your New York history, they were there long before the Chinese.

"Little" Italy keeps getting smaller & smaller by the decade..... It's surrounded by chinatown on all four sides/borders....

LMAO!  Years ago me and buddy Angelo went down there to walk around and eat, hopping around from store to store.  We were down there chatting in Italian and the area is so small that we went up and down the same blocks over and over and parts of what used to be Little Italy have been swallowed up by Chinatown. Now Chinatown is being swallowed up by the wealthy... 

LMAO!  Years ago me and buddy Angelo went down there to walk around and eat, hopping around from store to store.  We were down there chatting in Italian and the area is so small that we went up and down the same blocks over and over and parts of what used to be Little Italy have been swallowed up by Chinatown. Now Chinatown is being swallowed up by the wealthy... 

Lmao at this (in bold) !

But yeah, the northern part of chinatown (what I'm assuming you're referring to, regarding the wealthy swallowing up said area), yeah you're right about that... What I believe you're referring to, is this BS out now called NoLita or something another, which is basically a southward extension of NoHo (that area around Spring st (6) ).....

In other words, north of chinatown & south of noho is that nolita area... little italy itself is a couple blocks away from being totally consumed by chinatown.... How is it that I can walk west of mulberry, north of grand, east of bowery, and south of canal & still be in chinatown... Lol....

Lmao at this (in bold) !

But yeah, the northern part of chinatown (what I'm assuming you're referring to, regarding the wealthy swallowing up said area), yeah you're right about that... What I believe you're referring to, is this BS out now called NoLita or something another, which is basically a southward extension of NoHo (that area around Spring st (6) ).....

In other words, north of chinatown & south of noho is that nolita area... little italy itself is a couple blocks away from being totally consumed by chinatown.... How is it that I can walk west of mulberry, north of grand, east of bowery, and south of canal & still be in chinatown... Lol....

Yep that's the area in question that's being swallowed up... Knocking down and building like crazy...

Yeah, the area on the north end has been gentrifying. It's good and bad: good being the buildings look much nicer, bad being the character of the area is going away. If this keeps up the chinatowns remaining will be queens and brooklyn.

As for little italy, yup seems pretty sad how small it has shrunked down to. It's a vicious cycle there especially with manhattan being very desirable and people choosing to take the money and sell or leave because they can't afford the rent.

The MTA already has your money, regardless if a card is discarded or kept & utilized....

What the MTA won't implement (which is something I always thought about since day one of the MC) is a way for you to cash your card(s) out on the MVM's......

It sounded to me like he was implying that the money disappeared or something when the card loses value (which obviously isn't the case)

Maybe you saw places that said "Riverdale" on them along Broadway by say 231st street, but that is NOT Riverdale but Kingsbridge, which is heavily Black and Latino.

The black population in Kingsbridge is roughly comparable to the black population in Riverdale. It's only the Latino population that Kingsbridge is "heavy" on. That would be like saying Sunset Park or Inwood are "heavily black and Latino", when there's relatively few blacks there. (Matter of fact, there's a lot more whites than blacks in Kingsbridge).

The black population in Kingsbridge is roughly comparable to the black population in Riverdale. It's only the Latino population that Kingsbridge is "heavy" on. That would be like saying Sunset Park or Inwood are "heavily black and Latino", when there's relatively few blacks there. (Matter of fact, there's a lot more whites than blacks in Kingsbridge).

And what would you consider "comparable"? The black population in Riverdale is below 10% at around 7%.  In Kingsbridge it's above 10%, almost double that of Riverdale, so while it isn't high in either, it's certainly higher in Kingsbridge and even that is high for Riverdale which has generally had a very low black population, which at one time was just 4%, which was mainly due to the affluence of the area.

Kingsbridge also has a much smaller population than Riverdale, so taking that into consideration, comparing some 47,000 residents here in Riverdale to about 10,000 in Kingsbridge, even at 7% the black population is quite small in Riverdale in comparison to Kingsbridge.

You mean with a group of us since several of us have been talking about various neighborhoods and demographics...

Whatever you say man.

Just try to keep my this thread civil. :D

And what would you consider "comparable"? The black population in Riverdale is below 10% at around 7%.  In Kingsbridge it's above 10%, almost double that of Riverdale, so while it isn't high in either, it's certainly higher in Kingsbridge and even that is high for Riverdale which has generally had a very low black population, which at one time was just 4%, which was mainly due to the affluence of the area.

Kingsbridge also has a much smaller population than Riverdale, so taking that into consideration, comparing some 47,000 residents here in Riverdale to about 10,000 in Kingsbridge, even at 7% the black population is quite small in Riverdale in comparison to Kingsbridge.

What source are you using that tells you it's above 10 percent? Doing some rough calculations, I get about 7 percent for both neighborhoods. There's only 2 block groups in the entire neighborhood with a black population above 10 percent (11.1 and 13.6 percent respectively), and there's about 9 block groups total in the neighborhood. The rest are generally in the 4-6 percent range.

As for that second comment, I see somebody doesn't know basic math. If Riverdale's population was 5 times higher, and let's say the percentage of blacks was half that of Kingsbridge (say Riverdale was 7 percent and Kingsbridge was 14 percent) that still means Riverdale has more blacks in terms of sheer numbers. You reversed it.

In any case, you already conceded to my original point, which is that Kingsbridge doesn't have a "heavy" black population. You're getting all defensive about something that wasn't my primary point.

An honest question, is racial and/or ethnic composition of certain neighborhoods relevant to the topic at hand?

Eh, you can blame CenSIn for bringing it up originally.

What source are you using that tells you it's above 10 percent? Doing some rough calculations, I get about 7 percent for both neighborhoods. There's only 2 block groups in the entire neighborhood with a black population above 10 percent (11.1 and 13.6 percent respectively), and there's about 9 block groups total in the neighborhood. The rest are generally in the 4-6 percent range.

As for that second comment, I see somebody doesn't know basic math. If Riverdale's population was 5 times higher, and let's say the percentage of blacks was half that of Kingsbridge (say Riverdale was 7 percent and Kingsbridge was 14 percent) that still means Riverdale has more blacks in terms of sheer numbers. You reversed it.

In any case, you already conceded to my original point, which is that Kingsbridge doesn't have a "heavy" black population. You're getting all defensive about something that wasn't my primary point.

Just based on stats that are out there... Of course we have more blacks.. Our population is almost 5 times that (~47,000) of Kingsbridge (~10,000) genius... <_<  However, my point was that considering that our population is almost 5x bigger than that of Kingsbridge, 7% really is very small in the overall scheme of things. From personal experiences, I tend to see more blacks in Kingsbridge than I do in Riverdale.  Could just be due to the (1) train stations being there.  These days I see a bit more Asians around than blacks in Riverdale.

There's nothing to be defensive about because I live here and know that the white population here is alive and well esp. in comparison to the black population and it's always been that way esp. with the Jews and Irish-Americans in particular here whose numbers continue to grow along with the elderly, but with more white young Manhattanites moving here (singles and families) as well of various ethnicities.  The Latino population esp. is growing but still small in the overall scheme of things at maybe 15%... I would say that the Asian population may grow to surpass the black population as I see more upper middle class Koreans and esp. Japanese move here.  

In speaking with CenSin via PM he was not in Riverdale at all.  He was in Marble Hill and Kingsbridge from Broadway and 225th up to 233rd... Hardly Riverdale... What I get annoyed with is everyone thinking they're in "Riverdale" <_< when they aren't despite what the stores may say. Hell even the Bronxities like saying that area is "Riverdale".  I guess it makes them feel safer.  :lol:  

----

Now that that's been clarified, back to the $1 surcharge discussion.  This $1 surcharge is going to rake in some serious cash for the (MTA) because of the exploding tourist population.  It was insane how many tourists were out yesterday in the city.  I felt like a foreigner in my own damn city.  I'm all for the surcharge because if we have to deal with those obnoxious tourists blocking the way and taking up precious time at the MVM's then charge them for it!!  :D They should charge them for riding the ferry too since I'm sure they're the cause of a lot of SI ferries being late...

I think it's now one or two blocks on Mulberry St.

Wasn't Chinatown mostly Jewish at some point in the early 1900s?

Just based on stats that are out there... Of course we have more blacks.. Our population is almost 5 times that (~47,000) of Kingsbridge (~10,000) genius... <_<  However, my point was that considering that our population is almost 5x bigger than that of Kingsbridge, 7% really is very small in the overall scheme of things. From personal experiences, I tend to see more blacks in Kingsbridge than I do in Riverdale.  Could just be due to the (1) train stations being there.  These days I see a bit more Asians around than blacks in Riverdale.

There's nothing to be defensive about because I live here and know that the white population here is alive and well esp. in comparison to the black population and it's always been that way esp. with the Jews and Irish-Americans in particular here whose numbers continue to grow along with the elderly, but with more white young Manhattanites moving here (singles and families) as well of various ethnicities.  The Latino population esp. is growing but still small in the overall scheme of things at maybe 15%... I would say that the Asian population may grow to surpass the black population as I see more upper middle class Koreans and esp. Japanese move here.  

In speaking with CenSin via PM he was not in Riverdale at all.  He was in Marble Hill and Kingsbridge from Broadway and 225th up to 233rd... Hardly Riverdale... What I get annoyed with is everyone thinking they're in "Riverdale" <_< when they aren't despite what the stores may say. Hell even the Bronxities like saying that area is "Riverdale".  I guess it makes them feel safer.  :lol:  

----

Now that that's been clarified, back to the $1 surcharge discussion.  This $1 surcharge is going to rake in some serious cash for the (MTA) because of the exploding tourist population.  It was insane how many tourists were out yesterday in the city.  I felt like a foreigner in my own damn city.  I'm all for the surcharge because if we have to deal with those obnoxious tourists blocking the way and taking up precious time at the MVM's then charge them for it!!  :D They should charge them for riding the ferry too since I'm sure they're the cause of a lot of SI ferries being late...

"Stats that are out there". Yeah, that's real specfic. :rolleyes:

Yeah, 7% is small "in the overall scheme of things" for both of those areas. Whether it's 700 out of ~10,000 or 3,300 out of ~47,000.

You say "It's alive and well", like I was somehow denying that or something, and like it somehow makes it better just because it's mostly white.

Funny how you're saying that the Japanese population is growing, and yet on city-data (Yes, I know you're Grosvenor. Let's not beat around the bush) says it isn't.

As for the tourists on the ferry, I know you're only throwing it out there, but the major issue would be the fact that it would take a lot of time to check to see who has some kind of NYC-resident ID. Of course, you could program extra transfers into the MetroCard, but then you have people coming off the subway, SIR, or bus, running to catch their ferry and all having to swipe at the same time, which is either going to cause the ferry to depart late, or cause some people to miss their connections.

I think it's now one or two blocks on Mulberry St.

Wasn't Chinatown mostly Jewish at some point in the early 1900s?

I found a 1919 map of the various ethnic groups in NYC (made by some racist nationalist who thought all non-WASPs couldn't be trusted during WWI): http://www.copinthehood.com/2011/02/1919-map-of-ethnics-and-other-seditious.html

At the time, the area was Little Italy, and of course, the LES was a large Jewish (from Eastern Europe) neighborhood. (And Chinatown was a small pocket by City Hall). I think the Italians might've came a little bit after the Jews, so it's possible that it was a Jewish neighborhood before that. (Or, it could've been a mix of Jews & Italians, but with more Italians, so they labeled it as an Italian neighborhood).

"Stats that are out there". Yeah, that's real specfic. :rolleyes:

Yeah, 7% is small "in the overall scheme of things" for both of those areas. Whether it's 700 out of ~10,000 or 3,300 out of ~47,000.

You say "It's alive and well", like I was somehow denying that or something, and like it somehow makes it better just because it's mostly white.

Funny how you're saying that the Japanese population is growing, and yet on city-data (Yes, I know you're Grosvenor. Let's not beat around the bush) says it isn't.

As for the tourists on the ferry, I know you're only throwing it out there, but the major issue would be the fact that it would take a lot of time to check to see who has some kind of NYC-resident ID. Of course, you could program extra transfers into the MetroCard, but then you have people coming off the subway, SIR, or bus, running to catch their ferry and all having to swipe at the same time, which is either going to cause the ferry to depart late, or cause some people to miss their connections.

Well how else am I supposed to say it?  I asked CenSin what he meant, he clarified himself and then I provided stats on the neighborhood and my personal observations as a resident to clarify his assumptions.  Not much more there to interpret.  I said it's alive and well because the Jewish population in particular has exploded as they buy up more property in the area.  Yes, their presence has always been here but it's been growing substantially over the last few years in particular.

Also, this thing of yours with "discovering" where or what I'm posting, it's really getting old already.  I don't need to consult with you or anyone else if I decide to post somewhere.  I frequent plenty of different websites as do other people and quite frankly I don't see what the big deal is, so whoever I'm supposed to be on whatever website, great.  It's my prerogative.

As for the last point, then if you know I'm just throwing it out there, then leave it alone then.  You take everything so literal and clearly don't understand a figure of speech.

Well how else am I supposed to say it?  I asked CenSin what he meant, he clarified himself and then I provided stats on the neighborhood and my personal observations as a resident to clarify his assumptions.  Not much more there to interpret.  I said it's alive and well because the Jewish population in particular has exploded as they buy up more property in the area.

Also, this thing of yours with "discovering" where I'm posting at is really getting old already.  I don't need to consult with anyone if I decide to post somewhere.  I frequent plenty of different websites as do other people and quite frankly I don't see what the big deal is, so whoever I'm supposed to be on whatever website, great.

As for the last point, then if you know I'm just throwing it out there, then leave it alone then.  You take everything so literal and clearly don't understand a figure of speech.

Yeah, stats without a source. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying that in case you decided to deny that you're a member there, the same way you did with SILive. But I guess while we're at it, it's against the terms of service over there to create two seperate accounts, and that first one (3068) did look a little trollish.

(**sigh**) You do realize that there are other people who read these forums besides the members here, right? I'm sure there are people out there who are interested in seeing the points for and against implementing a fare on the ferry (whether it's for tourists or for everybody or whatever). Besides, I wanted to make a point that was somewhat relevant to the discussion, and talking about the ferry fare is an easy way to get back on track.

Yeah, stats without a source. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying that in case you decided to deny that you're a member there, the same way you did with SILive. But I guess while we're at it, it's against the terms of service over there to create two seperate accounts, and that first one (3068) did look a little trollish.

(**sigh**) You do realize that there are other people who read these forums besides the members here, right? I'm sure there are people out there who are interested in seeing the points for and against implementing a fare on the ferry (whether it's for tourists or for everybody or whatever). Besides, I wanted to make a point that was somewhat relevant to the discussion, and talking about the ferry fare is an easy way to get back on track.

1. With the amount of searching you do, you can find the stats easily. 

2. And I'm just saying that either way it's none of your damn business, period. It's funny how much you care about where I supposedly post and what I post.  Oh he posted this here.  I should send you my daily events since you're so interested in them. Smh

3. And you don't realize when comments are made for the hell of it that don't need further discussion... 

Archived