How Safe Are You in the Subways?

BrooklynBus

I don't really have a fear of riding trains since i love them....if the conditions around me look fine, then 9/10 times nothing will happen, only thing im scared of with subways are the very old trains, and some hideous looking stations. My man fear is old subway cars (R32, R40, R46) having problems in the tunnels. 

From your article, I'd say station integrity gets me sometimes, especially if I can see the damage and such.  Derailments doesn't really get to me, but every time I'm on the (R) near Whitehall Street and we hit that jerk motion, I may feel uneasy at times.

I would consider 9 Street and Lawrence-MetroTech (R) as very unsafe due to the small platforms...

Remember the north end of the northbound Ave H Station before it was rebuilt? That platform was only about two feet wide.  The warning strip took up half the width of the platform!

Also, Dekalb Avenue was very dangerous when they were putting in the elevator.  The platform which everyone had to pass to exit the station was also only about two feet wide.  God forbid if there was a emergency and everyone had to exit at once.

If anything happens (structurally), it would be along Sea Beach....that Fort Hamilton pkwy station a candidate for something collapsing. Literally, you can see cracks in the concrete slabs that support the station walkways overhead.

If anything happens (structurally), it would be along Sea Beach....that Fort Hamilton pkwy station a candidate for something collapsing. Literally, you can see cracks in the concrete slabs that support the station walkways overhead.

Totally. They have plans to rehabilitate - not renew, rehabilitate (which usually means a closure) literally EVERY station on the sea beach line in 2014. (See page 10 of this pdf http://web.mta.info/news/pdf/CapitalConstruction_1014.pdf)

I wonder if they can hold up that long without a more severe incident....

EDIT: After digging deeper, it looks like construction on Sea Beach is supposed to start in 2014 but will not complete until 2018. (http://mta.info/capitaldashboard/10_14/agencies/t/t6041216_all_data.htm)

Damn... Not to say the Rockaways didn't need some fixing up (way before sandy hit, like 2010), but for an area that has a small ridership amount, they should've made sea beach a priority over that area. n trains have been running on the west end line for 'a while'. With all that, you'd think they were at least doing some work on that line...

I kid anyone not - I stopped reading after the very first sentence of the article..... Reading the thread title here, I thought that this was gonna lead to an article regarding subway safety as it relates to crime.... Glad things were made very clear in the very first sentence of the article.

Quite frankly (although legitimate) I don't want to get into a discussion about decrepitating subway stations.... It's only gonna turn into a discussion of *which stations along which line needs reconstructing first*....

Archived