B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

& sorry brother Dorrell for not responding to your understanding of my situation, but yeah, it wasn't nor is it fair in any way, what they did to me. At my previous job I was an Award winner ( I'm not saying it to brag, but there are people that have been with the Department 20 years and above, who have never gotten one, meaning, I did my job and I did it well) who showed up to work everyday at least an hour before my start time. I was punctual, respectful to all. Supervision, top brass, my coworkers, as well as the inmates. Which is why I won the award in the first place, cuz the inmates reciprocated the respect that I had given them. I thought I was also respected by the department, but it's obvious that i wasn't, for we can see what has transpired. All I want is to be working again Within the job that I know I would like, that I qualify for. Even if they would allow me to make a lateral move within the city, in terms of a job, but they have taken that opportunity away from me with that 3-in-1 letter.

I have and had a clean license for years. I have a  Class B CDL that I've had over 14 years with no parking tickets. I worked for the city and I don't get tickets, and if I ever did I would pay it then and there. I don't have any moving violations on my license, no accidents and I also drove a bus for the Department full of inmates. It was a probationary, political set of reasons that they give to clear their playing field of anyone. They were very unfair and had no compassion in me losing both my parents in one year's time. And they want to talk " we Bleed Blue." Very false statement...

Curious, what would cause someone who is otherwise qualified,  to not get the job? Granted this is a Bus Operator position, i did not think there would be much requirements besides a CDL, clean drivers license and not having any felonies on your name. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:36 AM, eRod701 said:

Though I was on that very list, and going through the hiring process ( Completed employment packet, urine drug test), they the MTA/City sent me a 4.7.1 letter that states, " You were considered, but not selected " ruining my chances for the job. It also Stated that, " I can only be recertified by this agency upon this agencies request ." This is really messed up...

On 2/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, eRod701 said:

Yes, I have the 1-in-3 letter...

As an interesting FYI, apparently Transit is not the only one who "abuses" the 1-in-3 rule...click here for an interesting article which will probably be of interest, respectively.

As a result of recently restoring my name to the list, with a list number in the 1600's, I got a letter in the mail today inviting me down to Livingston Street on February 21st to begin the pre-employment process. The problem is that, on that particular day, I'm working from 3 PM to either 1 or 2 AM. Therefore, I plan on calling them on Tuesday and I'll see what they say about going in the following week.

Update:

So I made it down yesterday. At about 11:30 AM, I get called up to the front counter in order for the HR Dept. to go over my paperwork. When they go over my paperwork, they tell me that the laboratory to take the drug test is backed up and I would have to come back in 90 minutes to get the drug-test transmittal form. Since I was anxious to go to work, they gave me another paper and I asked if I can come back on Monday at 7:30 AM and they said "yes".

Again, my list number is in the 1600's and I restored my name back to this list, before the list expires this January.

1 hour ago, eRod701 said:

Wow cool, but further procrastination... having to wait more time... but it sounds  a bit positive. Good luck.

Thanks! The procrastination was on my end, I had a choice of either calling out sick (which I didn't want to do) or waiting around, therefore...

On 2/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, +Young+ said:

Update:

So I made it down yesterday. At about 11:30 AM, I get called up to the front counter in order for the HR Dept. to go over my paperwork. When they go over my paperwork, they tell me that the laboratory to take the drug test is backed up and I would have to come back in 90 minutes to get the drug-test transmittal form. Since I was anxious to go to work, they gave me another paper and I asked if I can come back on Monday at 7:30 AM and they said "yes".

Again, my list number is in the 1600's and I restored my name back to this list, before the list expires this January.

HI YOUNG, MIND IF I ASK YOU HOW YOU RESTORED YOUR NAME TO THE LIST?  BECAUSE I CALLED THE 347-643-7413; AND THEY TOLD ME TO CALL CITY WIDE ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE?

On 9/24/2018 at 8:23 PM, +Young+ said:

Instead of physically doing down there, you can try to email them using the information which is in this post.

Hope this helps.

Hi; I WENT DOWN TO LIVINGSTON ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO BUT DID NOT HAVE CDL AND THEY GAVE ME A LETTER WITH A NUMBER TO CALL BACK WHEN READY SO I CALLED AND NOW THEY TOLD ME TO CALL CITY WIDE ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE, IS THAT OK ? WHAT SHOULD I DO? THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, +Young+ said:

Update:

So the "unthinkable" happened today, which I'm still at complete shock over:

I arrive upstairs shortly after 7 AM and get a ticket number of A103. At around 10:45 AM, myself and a bunch of "potential" station agents got called into a small room on the right side. The HR person states that, in order to be fair, he would be calling people by their ticket numbers in numerical order based on who was in the room. I kept track and he called ticket # 107, followed by 112, 117, 121, 122, 132, 135, 136 & 137. Once the room only had four people left, the HR person glanced at my ticket number. He said that it was an "honest mistake" which I personally found to be bu**sh**, especially with the "1-in-3" letter that I got for the Track Worker position, plus this, this & this article. Fortunately I was able to take my paperwork with me so I have a record that I was there, both this past Thursday and earlier today, while they do not!! Nice, right?

Therefore, my next step is to type a letter to President Byford and Cuomo about what happened. Afterwards, I plan on restoring my name to the list again, but not in the immediate future. As a result, although I've helped a huge number of you, if I'm quiet or inactive for a long period of time, you'll know why...

On 2/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, Antony said:

HI YOUNG, MIND IF I ASK YOU HOW YOU RESTORED YOUR NAME TO THE LIST?  BECAUSE I CALLED THE 347-643-7413; AND THEY TOLD ME TO CALL CITY WIDE ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE?

To restore your name to the list follow the instructions in this post. Should be self-explanatory. If you still need help, I can put together a "sample" e-mail for you.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:47 PM, Antony said:

Hi; I WENT DOWN TO LIVINGSTON ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO BUT DID NOT HAVE CDL AND THEY GAVE ME A LETTER WITH A NUMBER TO CALL BACK WHEN READY SO I CALLED AND NOW THEY TOLD ME TO CALL CITY WIDE ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE, IS THAT OK ? WHAT SHOULD I DO? THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER

First, please be careful with the CAPITAL LETTERS as per the guidelines of the website under "Forum Etiquette." It would be easier for all of us to read your posts if you do not use CAPITAL LETTERS like you did.

Second, to restore my name to the list, I also had to go through DCAS (aka Citywide Administrative Services). Once you email them, which I would recommend you do ASAP, you will receive something in the mail shortly after confirming that your name has been restored to the list.

Third, keep an eye out on this website by either typing your last name or "04600" in the search box on the top right. When the HR office requests a list of names from DCAS, the webpage will be updated a few days later. Shortly after you'll get a letter in the mail inviting you to report for pre-employment processing.

Edited by +Young+

Wow.... I can't believe they did that to you. If i were u while sitting there & seeing that they are calling numbers above yours i wldve gotten up aftr hearing just 2 or 3 numbers later, not like 7 or 8 as i did. Im sorry to hear that. That sounds exactly like my luck. You at least are working where as i'm trying to get re-employed. Try to stay strong and yes, do contact those individuals u stated u wld. Good luck buddy & keep strong.

9 hours ago, +Young+ said:

So the "unthinkable" happened today, which I'm still at complete shock over:

I arrive upstairs shortly after 7 AM and get a ticket number of A103. At around 10:45 AM, myself and a bunch of "potential" station agents got called into a small room on the right side. The HR person states that, in order to be fair, he would be calling people by their ticket numbers in numerical order based on who was in the room. I kept track and he called ticket # 107, followed by 112, 117, 121, 122, 132, 135, 136 & 137. Once the room only had four people left, the HR person glanced at my ticket number. He said that it was an "honest mistake" which I personally found to be bu**sh**, especially with the "1-in-3" letter that I got for the Track Worker position, plus this, this & this article. Fortunately I was able to take my paperwork with me so I have a record that I was there, both this past Thursday and earlier today, while they do not!! Nice, right?

Therefore, my next step is to type a letter to President Byford and Cuomo about what happened. Afterwards, I plan on restoring my name to the list again, but not in the immediate future. As a result, although I've helped a huge number of you, if I'm quiet or inactive for a long period of time, you'll know why...

(And I'm crying as I type this. I can't believe this happened to me.)

To restore your name to the list follow the instructions in this post. Should be self-explanatory. If you still need help, I can put together a "sample" e-mail for you.

First, please be careful with the CAPITAL LETTERS as per the guidelines of the website under "Forum Etiquette." It would be easier for all of us to read your posts if you do not use CAPITAL LETTERS like you did.

Second, to restore my name to the list, I also had to go through DCAS (aka Citywide Administrative Services). Once you email them, which I would recommend you do ASAP, you will receive something in the mail shortly after confirming that your name has been restored to the list.

Third, keep an eye out on this website by either typing your last name or "04600" in the search box on the top right. When the HR office requests a list of names from DCAS, the webpage will be updated a few days later. Shortly after you'll get a letter in the mail inviting you to report for pre-employment processing.

Thank you so much Young for your answer,  when I call the DCAS number they tell me that my name has being marked as not qualified for certification from this list , is it because I wasn’t ready at that time?

2 hours ago, eRod701 said:

Wow.... I can't believe they did that to you. If i were u while sitting there & seeing that they are calling numbers above yours i wldve gotten up aftr hearing just 2 or 3 numbers later, not like 7 or 8 as i did. Im sorry to hear that. That sounds exactly like my luck. You at least are working where as i'm trying to get re-employed. Try to stay strong and yes, do contact those individuals u stated u wld. Good luck buddy & keep strong.

Thank you...this is just so depressing for me...

11 minutes ago, Antony said:

Thank you so much Young for your answer,  when I call the DCAS number they tell me that my name has being marked as not qualified for certification from this list , is it because I wasn’t ready at that time?

Probably and most likely yes.