B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Folks I have good news!!

If you look at the Civil Service List Certification page of the NYC Open Data website, you will see that if you type in "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen, you will see that on January 10th, 2020, you will see that the agency requested 3,000 names to fill 100 vacancies. Out of these 3,000 names, the first 94 names come from this list!!

Best of luck to those who will be reporting for pre-employment processing within the next couple of weeks.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Folks I have good news!!

If you look at the Civil Service List Certification page of the NYC Open Data website, you will see that if you type in "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen, you will see that on January 10th, 2020, you will see that the agency requested 3,000 names to fill 100 vacancies. Out of these 3,000 names, the first 94 names come from this list!!

Best of luck to those who will be reporting for pre-employment processing within the next couple of weeks.

My name is on that list, I thought about switching over just so I can take the SLD promotion test, But I would hate to lose 3 years of seniority. I regret that I did not switch over when I was on my 7th month on probation back in 2017 when they called me to switch over from OA to TA but I was afraid I would start all over with probation and etc. If I switch over today I will keep the same pay and benefits, but would lose 3 years of seniority which is a big lost. So I guess I'll probably wait till the OA promotional test comes out..... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 4:49 AM, Uptowndude said:

i took and passed test 4600 and i got called back February 2017 i didn't have my cdl yet and my dumb ass got a 6 point speeding ticket in may 2017......i went down to 180 Livingston 19 months after the ticket (January 2019) and they said defensive driving class means nothing and i have to be 3 years removed from the ticket which would be may 2020 and the test expires January 2020.....so does this mean im 100% done for 4600 ? is there anything i could do ?  

i post this and get some good info...i get convicted of a improper turn on (violation date 1/3/18) and conviction date 10/11/19......by this time yall already posting test 4600 may be extended (i didn't see it until jan 2020).....so based off this info just restore my name and go down there to 180 Livington in june 2020 when the speeding ticket is gone.....but no i get a legit bogus failed to yield pedestrian ticket  (3 points if convicted) by the SAME cop who gave me the improper turn ticket on 11/01/19 smh......i was turning on to 5th ave from 119th st and i was in the closest left lane and the pedestrian had ONE foot in the crosswalk 4 lanes away....and now that may cost me smh.....sidebar i took BO test 9309 in october 2019......so here me out what are the chances i can get mta to put me in a class between 1/4/21 (when ill be under 4 points) and 1/6/21 (when the test expires) ?????   

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Yankeeman said:

I put my name back on this list and still haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know when I will? Any help would be appreciated

If I was you, I would keep an eye on the Civil Service List Certification page. The easiest way to do this is to simply type "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

However, according to the Certification webpage, if you compare the last certification dated January 14th, 2020 with the last couple of pages of the B/O 7612 Hiring Process thread, it seems, from my perspective, that they are calling candidates in for processing even though the last certification expired 2 & 1/2 weeks ago.

Therefore, mind I ask how long ago you did this? Normally, when this happens, DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services) will either give you a receipt (in person) or mail it to the address that they have on file. Once you get that receipt, I would get in contact with the Human Resources office at NYC Transit (347-643-8229/30/31/32) and see what they have to say.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, MTAdude said:

Has MTA been hiring off 4600 lately? Any word on a possible extention of this list due to Covid?

List extended until 1/6/21...

There may be a possibility for another extension..  (Don't take my word for it as of yet)... It's up to the (MTA)  and DCAS on how things will proceed.

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

According to this webpage, as of this typing, no. By the end of this week we'll know for sure what's going on.

Too add on @+Young+ is saying.. If the operating agency does not approach DCAS in this case MTA, this list will be closed on 1/6/21 at close of business.  Again, SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

So to everyone here for list 4600, be on the lookout this week if you get an acceptance email from Downtown letting you know if you have to report and bring paperwork.

37 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Just a brief update:

As of approximately 12:30 PM today (January 7th, 2021), the list is off of the Active Civil Service List webpage, however the list is not on the Terminated Civil Service List webpage.

We'll see what happens as time progresses...

Very good update..  Based on my past experiences working with DCAS this list is pending to close (again, this is my opinion and past experiences at DCAS). I don't think the MTA exercised the agency to extend for another year. 

Hopefully, they are in talks today and by close of business either today or tomorrow we will know more.

I got an email from MTA of them canvassing for this exam. My list is in the low 200's. I could have gotten hired years ago. I let them pass my list #, and now I'm thinking of filling out the preemployement application.

The only issue - I do not have a class B  permit. I have to send this application in before 01/18/2021.

I made an apt with the NYS DMV to get my class B permit with passenger endorsement on 01/21/2021 because thats the earliest date I can get in the DMV. 

Do you think I will loose this opportunity because I won't have my permit by 01/18/2021??????

Also - do we need a med certification for the class B permit or is it A3 Exempt?

Thanks.

You'll need the Class B permit with the passenger endorsement and no air brake restriction. (So make sure you take the test for air brakes too)

A3 restriction is fine for bus operator.

Get in contact with them and see what they can do for you. Might be as simple as pushing you to the class after. 

What a minute? We are still able to get hired off this expired list? I too do not have the CDL requirement...am I still able to possibly get hired still?

I but this exam off to the last minute...just curious if i can still make a move and get hired now

1 minute ago, MTAdude said:

What a minute? We are still able to get hired off this expired list? I too do not have the CDL requirement...am I still able to possibly get hired still?

I but this exam off to the last minute...just curious if i can still make a move and get hired now

Yes you can get hired off of this list. According to the Active Civil Service List webpage, the list has been extended until January 6th, 2022.

Although I will be posting an announcement at the top of the webpage in regards to this soon, if you want to restore your name to the list, you can send an email to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. When you email them, you must state your full name, exam number, list number, last four of social security number, and the reason why you are restoring your name to the list, which can be brief.

Good luck!!

3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Yes you can get hired off of this list. According to the Active Civil Service List webpage, the list has been extended until January 6th, 2022.

Although I will be posting an announcement at the top of the webpage in regards to this soon, if you want to restore your name to the list, you can send an email to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. When you email them, you must state your full name, exam number, list number, last four of social security number, and the reason why you are restoring your name to the list, which can be brief.

Good luck!!

you think if I go on,  cristcdl.com  and take all the knowledge, airbrake, and passenger exams, understand the correct answer and all i should be fine? Have an apt at the DMV tomorrow.

I remember years ago I did a bunch of exams online and passed my motorcycle test... but yeah I understand its not the same, lol. But are the practice test questions, similar? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Lekith said:

you think if I go on,  cristcdl.com  and take all the knowledge, airbrake, and passenger exams, understand the correct answer and all i should be fine? Have an apt at the DMV tomorrow.

I remember years ago I did a bunch of exams online and passed my motorcycle test... but yeah I understand its not the same, lol. But are the practice test questions, similar? Thanks.

They're similar but it's not just about memorizing what the answer is to whatever question they ask. You have to understand the concepts of it too.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

They're similar but it's not just about memorizing what the answer is to whatever question they ask. You have to understand the concepts of it too.

When I took my multiple-choice permit exams a little over 5 years ago, I made index cards with the questions from the website. I used them to study 75 to 80% of the time, and I read the manual the other 20 to 25% of the time. I used a similar format for going for all of the endorsements (with the exception of Metal Coil and Tow Truck which is not offered on the website) and I passed all of my exams on the first try. Therefore, I recommend this format to other people, however I realize that we all learn differently. Therefore, as long as you use both the website and the manual in one capacity or another, you should be fine.

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

6 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Good luck!!

Excellent update that this exam is extended for another year. This was a perfect a wait and see progress. Eventually that the TA was going to approach DCAS for list extension.

22 hours ago, +Young+ said:

When I took my multiple-choice permit exams a little over 5 years ago, I made index cards with the questions from the website. I used them to study 75 to 80% of the time, and I read the manual the other 20 to 25% of the time. I used a similar format for going for all of the endorsements (with the exception of Metal Coil and Tow Truck which is not offered on the website) and I passed all of my exams on the first try. Therefore, I recommend this format to other people, however I realize that we all learn differently. Therefore, as long as you use both the website and the manual in one capacity or another, you should be fine.

So I received the canvass letter for bus operator exam 4600 on wednesday.

Today I got my permit class B and passed the general knowledge exam, passenger exam, and air brake exam.

My permit reads, 

Class: B, 

Restrictions: A3 *  M* P 

Endorsements: P 

Is that correct????  I thought there was suppose to be an endorsement for air brakes, but I see there is no such thing. Just want to make sure the DMV got it right. 

This should be sufficient enough to get hired in the event I got hired right?  The permit?

Thanks. 

That's fine. "[No] Airbrakes" is actually a restriction, so if you would had failed that part, then you would have a letter for that.

The M restriction is "No Passengers in Class A vehicles", which doesn't apply to you since buses are Class B vehicles.

The P restriction is "No Passengers in CMV", which will be removed once you pass your road test.

See https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/driver-license-endorsement-and-restriction-codes for more info.