389 MTA Bus Company's Orion VII hybrids to be converted/re-powered to Diesel Fuel

DJ MC

What? I didn't put hybrid electric in my list, I put battery electric. Reading comprehension, it rocks.

Battery electric vehicles are kind of cleanest because they don't have any emissions, so I'm gonna assume you're confused.

Oh yeah, I thought battery electric and hybrid electric were the same thing. I didn't know one was all electric. sorry I miss understood.

Well, wouldn't Hydrogen be the most efficient (even though it costs a shitload of money).

Hydrogen is generally used as a version of battery electric. Take your hydrogen, simple electrolysis, power electric motors, power vehicle. It replaces the fuel, basically, to power the battery. Then, the bus is powered by the battery (whereas our hybrids are powered by battery and gas motor). 

Well, wouldn't Hydrogen be the most efficient (even though it costs a shitload of money).

Too expensive and energy-wasting to produce in the first place. Lower energy density than even CNG, and will be 100000% obsolete in a few years as battery tech continues to improve. Not worthwhile for vehicles. Battery/supercapacitor tech will win out going forward for energy storage for electric drive vehicles.

MTA loves to do things the hard way. Now we know why some call the MTA, Money Thrown Away.

I also don't get why because 'the buses were federally funded' they can't be swapped. Maybe give MTA bus the ngs and some O5s and give those OG buses to the depots that lost their NG/O5s. That seems to be a far cheaper solution than to convert all those OGs to diesels. 

I also don't get why because 'the buses were federally funded' they can't be swapped. Maybe give MTA bus the ngs and some O5s and give those OG buses to the depots that lost their NG/O5s. That seems to be a far cheaper solution than to convert all those OGs to diesels. 

It makes no sense... MTAB nor NYCT would see a decrease in the amount of buses for service out of the deal.

Now if only the TA can implement Bombardier's "Primove" technology onto SBS routes we could then have zero emissions buses on the road.  

That's a pretty f**king good point, actually. They need to look into that.

It makes no sense... MTAB nor NYCT would see a decrease in the amount of buses for service out of the deal.

If I gave a homeless guy $10 to buy food, I'd be pissed if he bought a beer. When the feds subsidize clean transport for MTA Bus (which had a significantly higher fleet age than NYCT at contract time), that money has to be used for MTA Bus. Not that complicated. Anyway, I doubt that's the only reason this is happening. I also don't think this is that bad a waste of money. The MTA spend a lot on rebuilding those GMC RTSes into the 7000s and 7500s when new buses weren't on the horizon, and here they're essentially doing that for the OGs, only at a lower cost as it's a power plant change. 

The CNG tanks on the new C40LFs are rated for 20 years and are thus expected to outlast the buses. CNG is slightly better because the price of CNG has fallen through the cellar. ..that is why some agencies have gone all CNG (such as the Los Angeles County MTA, which has the largest all-CNG fleet in the USA at about 2,700 or so buses).

Well LA country is going to a diesel ban in a few years anyways.

TTC and OC Transpo will be watching this conversion  to see how it turns out.

Well LA country is going to a diesel ban in a few years anyways.

TTC and OC Transpo will be watching this conversion  to see how it turns out.

If this does in fact prove to be efficient TTC will jump on it. The hybrids are nothing short of hell for them, especially on the highway runs.

Archived