How to use the Express buses

Jsunflyguy

I'm not gonna quote all his posts in here, but to sum it up, QJT is only in this thread to thwart the use of express buses -  Just look at the nature of his posts.

He doesn't support express buses (which generally uses highways) as much as he supports his diversions of local buses that use highways.... Notice how he always brings up the subway (or the RR) whenever some talks of an express bus arise.....

Thanks for the input, I actually live near Rochdale and work in midtown. I was wobdering if the QM21 was worth the money as it only has three trips a day. I work very early so I wasnt confident the 1h 20m ride was believable.

3 trips a day? Since when......

Check the schedule again....

lol... That area of Rochdale Village is a pain to commute and the QM21 really helps out a lot because what QJT keeps forgetting is that the LIRR stations are exactly that easy to get to.  The walk is a big of a schlepp, not to mention more expensive though it is pretty fast, but the LIRR doesn't serve the East Side like the QM21 does nor other areas that the QM21 serves so you really can't compare the two.  When you add up the transfers needed for from the LIRR, you're better off taking the express bus unless you're very close to the LIRR.

To be honest, I'm surprised they don't have weekend QM21 service, but that's because I don't the residents down there can afford the express bus like that because the service would run later otherwise.  I mean the LIRR stations near Rochdale Village aren't that heavily used either even on the weekends with City Ticket.

Another thing to remember with the express buses is that if you use a metrocard, you will get a free transfer to any local bus, subway, or express bus. But if you pay in cash, you will not get a transfer (occassionally express buses have transfers, but are rarely, if ever, given out).

lol... That area of Rochdale Village is a pain to commute and the QM21 really helps out a lot because what QJT keeps forgetting is that the LIRR stations are exactly that easy to get to.  The walk is a big of a schlepp, not to mention more expensive though it is pretty fast, but the LIRR doesn't serve the East Side like the QM21 does nor other areas that the QM21 serves so you really can't compare the two.  When you add up the transfers needed for from the LIRR, you're better off taking the express bus unless you're very close to the LIRR.

To be honest, I'm surprised they don't have weekend QM21 service, but that's because I don't the residents down there can afford the express bus like that because the service would run later otherwise.  I mean the LIRR stations near Rochdale Village aren't that heavily used either even on the weekends with City Ticket.

I'm more surprised that the QM21 doesn't get more usage than what it does (on weekdays).....

I think SE queens in general could benefit from 1 express route on the weekend..... How that route is to be routed, I haven't thought of it yet.... The QM21, x63, x64, x68 by themselves on a weekend would ultimately fail..... Come to think of it, Weekend specific routings should be looked at when it comes to the express bus network anyway.... Instead of cut cut cut all over the place.....

I'm more surprised that the QM21 doesn't get more usage than what it does (on weekdays).....

I think SE queens in general could benefit from 1 express route on the weekend..... How that route is to be routed, I haven't thought of it yet.... The QM21, x63, x64, x68 by themselves on a weekend would ultimately fail..... Come to think of it, Weekend specific routings should be looked at when it comes to the express bus network anyway.... Instead of cut cut cut all over the place.....

I think it's just economics over in Rochdale Village. I mean I don't think some of them can afford it and with the economy tanking, certain communities of color really took a hit.  It's similar to what's going on in the Bronx which is mainly Black and Latino, with the highest unemployment rates in NYC as high as ~16%, but if you look at other neighborhoods, the unemployment rates are much lower.  I too agree that there should be some sort of weekend service because that is a painful commute as it is far out and rather isolated in spots with no local buses.

If it's any route it should be the x63 that's it. However you have a point about weekend routings. I guess I should tell you what I really think one my NYC plan just creates LTD routes similar to Q70 from scratch they are LTDs. The extensions however only allow the locals to connect better with one of the LTDs modified version of brooklynbus's plan. The so called highway extension is so short it's similar to what MTA did with the B83. Only difference is it involves a new bus connection to the Brighton line AFTER redone bridge is finished. The highway component is the least important part I just haven't divulged the rest. Later in a different thread.

1.http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm21cur.pdf

Oh and the 21 still gets to 23 st areas faster then the 63/64/68 from Briarwood

Get back to me afterward

2. I'd like to know what a "valid argument" is for you. The LIRR isn't a solution for everything. The LIRR is catered for outer Long Island more than for Queens to Manhattan travel.

I thought you said buses were an afterthought in Manhattan, now you actually suggest the M4LTD.

Please..

How is it in danger of elimination.

QM21 headways were always like this, only thing they did was cut reverse peak service which didn't garner much, and those last 2 outbound trips.

It's all because of speed.

From Two lines that runs to the same general areas, you say the one that takes longer is redundant.

By this case, the QM3, which actually garners riders should be killed off, and every single express route in the System along with it is redundant.

Same the express routes on SI.

Give me one example where the LIRR Saves a substantial amount of time compared to the QM21, I mean like 13 minutes and beyond, because if its 12 or less, it isn't worth it to take the LIRR.

You do realize QM21 sits in van wyck traffic right? LIRR saves a good 20+ minutes easily. Express routes in SI have ZERO COMPETITION nothing the SIR only serves a few on the island and local buses to the ferry are slow try again you can't compare QM21 to any SI express bus as unlike QM21 those SI buses are packed. Every express route would be killed off try again in the Bronx all but 1 are vastly quicker than their subway to local bus counterparts. And only one directly competes with metro-north and it's the worst performing express line with off-peak service. The X27&28 are actually fast and aren't redundant at all they are quicker than the subway too. Most BMs are quite fast from their areas the BM1 the 2 due to ridership. The BM3 not so much. The BM4 however is on life support but can be revitalized. You can't compare QM21 to the rest of the express buses at all as they are vastly different remember QM21 is in the bottom 5 in ridership try again. You only boosted my argument. If LIRR monthly pass worked on subways or express bus plus worked on LIRR then QM3 would lose ridership real fast. Sad thing is I've done both methods and due to frequency M23 (E)(1) to LIRR wins  or (7) to (6) wins out as QM21 only has one stop at 23rd it's at park ave. With the subway and LIRR a train is just there. QM21 you have to wait and only the late evening trips are quick. Interesting thing B35 mentioned about x63 though. LIRR over in SE & NE queens are still more frequent than the QM3&21. And those trains DO NOT GO PAST great neck not go deep into Nassau let alone LI as they are branch trains. As in short lines. Far rockaway line ring a bell.

You mean easy to get to. Ohh the ESA would make that a nonissue thus rendering QM21 useless. Cause at grand central the (6) train is there. So the future of this line is already grim. But somehow other variables are at play.

You do realize QM21 sits in van wyck traffic right? LIRR saves a good 20+ minutes easily. Express routes in SI have ZERO COMPETITION nothing the SIR only serves a few on the island and local buses to the ferry are slow try again you can't compare QM21 to any SI express bus as unlike QM21 those SI buses are packed. Every express route would be killed off try again in the Bronx all but 1 are vastly quicker than their subway to local bus counterparts. And only one directly competes with metro-north and it's the worst performing express line with off-peak service. The X27&28 are actually fast and aren't redundant at all they are quicker than the subway too. Most BMs are quite fast from their areas the BM1 the 2 due to ridership. The BM3 not so much. The BM4 however is on life support but can be revitalized. You can't compare QM21 to the rest of the express buses at all as they are vastly different remember QM21 is in the bottom 5 in ridership try again. You only boosted my argument. If LIRR monthly pass worked on subways or express bus plus worked on LIRR then QM3 would lose ridership real fast. Sad thing is I've done both methods and due to frequency M23 (E)(1) to LIRR wins or (7) to (6) wins out as QM21 only has one stop at 23rd it's at park ave. With the subway and LIRR a train is just there. QM21 you have to wait and only the late evening trips are quick. Interesting thing B35 mentioned about x63 though. LIRR over in SE & NE queens are still more frequent than the QM3&21. And those trains DO NOT GO PAST great neck not go deep into Nassau let alone LI as they are branch trains. As in short lines. Far rockaway line ring a bell.

You mean easy to get to. Ohh the ESA would make that a nonissue thus rendering QM21 useless. Cause at grand central the (6) train is there. So the future of this line is already grim. But somehow other variables are at play.

So because the BxM2 gets delayed on the Major Deegan, everyone should take the overcrowded MNRR.

So because the BxM2 gets delayed on the Major Deegan, everyone should take the overcrowded MNRR.

lol... This guy doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about.  I got home in about 40 minutes (including the walk to my place) last night taking the BxM2.  In comparison the subway to the bus would've been over an hour and even with MetroNorth being a short commute, I would've had to have walked to get to it which was out of the way, then find a way to get from the station to my place, so that would've been over an hour as well.

It's called the (6) train try again.

Because the Lexington Av Line doesn't carry more people than the entire DC Metro system, is extremely comfortable and clean, and is completely roomy and climate-controlled, right?

People pay for an express bus for comfort and ease as well. Rail is not good for every trip.

Bxm2 goes west side not east side try again. The fact you had to use such a horrible example means you have no clue what you're talking about. Fail example. Don't compare a full time line to one that barely runs.

lol... This guy doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about.  I got home in about 40 minutes (including the walk to my place) last night taking the BxM2.  In comparison the subway to the bus would've been over an hour and even with MetroNorth being a short commute, I would've had to have walked to get to it which was out of the way, then find a way to get from the station to my place, so that would've been over an hour as well.

Fool bxm2 serves a different part of Manhattan than metro-north. Keyword NIGHT!!!!!

Okay, lets discontinue the BxM18, QM21, QM18, QM3, and X38.

Fool bxm18 is a variation of the Bxm1 which has HIGH ridership. X38 is a branch of the X28 also a high ridership route. Qm18 has abysmal service levels and the dairy isn't worth it another bottom 5 route. Qm3 only exists because the LIRR is expensive for those not near Penn station try again. Come back to me with a VALID argument.

Fool, MetroNorth only serves two stops in Manhattan... Grand Central and 125th street in Harlem.  <_<  Of course the BxM2 serves different parts of Manhattan, which also include the East Side BTW.

Most bxm2 stops are not near metro-north the east side ones require a link to the M1 which is questionable. Bxm2 unlike qm21 is used very well.

Actually the BxM2 does serve the East Side via Madison Avenue (on the Upper East Side).

I know 3 stops about.

Fool bxm18 is a variation of the Bxm1 which has HIGH ridership. X38 is a branch of the X28 also a high ridership route. Qm18 has abysmal service levels and the dairy isn't worth it another bottom 5 route. Qm3 only exists because the LIRR is expensive for those not near Penn station try again. Come back to me with a VALID argument.

Most bxm2 stops are not near metro-north the east side ones require a link to the M1 which is questionable. Bxm2 unlike qm21 is used very well.

I know 3 stops about.

-Fool, the BxM18 is not a variation of the BxM1.  If anything it's more aligned with the BxM2 seeing that it runs down Madison with the BxM2.

-Most BxM1 stops are not near Metro-North either, save the 41st and Lex stop.

-The BxM2 only makes 8 drop-off stops and three of them are on the East Side so I wouldn't call that a true West Side bus.  Coming back it makes 11 stops, three on the East Side, but the there's really only 3 made on the West Side if you don't consider the ones made in Midtown along 6th Avenue and Central Park West.

The BxM18 is a variation of NOTHING, get that straight. It's you and speed, same reason why you despise of the BxM4 and BxM4C. 

If the Q70 didn't use the BQE, you sure as hell would be against that line (you know that's a fact).

The LIRR doesnt even serve Penn Station. 

Bottom 5 doesnt have to do with anything.

You could have two express with the same distance and run time as well as cost.

If it had 40 riders and only 2 buses, or 1564 riders and 118 buses, which would have the best riders per bus?

-Fool, the BxM18 is not a variation of the BxM1.  If anything it's more aligned with the BxM2 seeing that it runs down Madison with the BxM2.

-Most BxM1 stops are not near Metro-North either, save the 41st and Lex stop.

-The BxM2 only makes 8 drop-off stops and three of them are on the East Side so I wouldn't call that a true West Side bus.  Coming back it makes 11 stops, three on the East Side, but the there's really only 3 made on the West Side if you don't consider the ones made in Midtown along 6th Avenue and Central Park West.

Ahem bxm18&1 have the same outerborough stops therefore bxm18 is just a downtown bxm1 try again.

The BxM18 is a variation of NOTHING, get that straight. It's you and speed, same reason why you despise of the BxM4 and BxM4C. 

If the Q70 didn't use the BQE, you sure as hell would be against that line (you know that's a fact).

The LIRR doesnt even serve Penn Station. 

Bottom 5 doesnt have to do with anything.

You could have two express with the same distance and run time as well as cost.

If it had 40 riders and only 2 buses, or 1564 riders and 118 buses, which would have the best riders per bus?

your joking right they have the same Bronx routing how can it not be a variation. That's like saying QM7 isn't a branch of the QM1. Any 2 express lines who share their entire outerborough routings and have different manhattan routes are variants if you think otherwise then you made yourself look very stupid. Still using terrible examples to boost your weak argument. There is a reason they are called EXPRESS buses they are supposed to be faster than their alternatives if they aren't they defeat the purpose. Just stop already. Q70 is supposed to be a fast link otherwise it is just dumb like your argument. 

LIRR ends at Penn dude you can't even use proper facts.

Ahem bxm18&1 have the same outerborough stops therefore bxm18 is just a downtown bxm1 try again.

your joking right they have the same Bronx routing how can it not be a variation. That's like saying QM7 isn't a branch of the QM1. Any 2 express lines who share their entire outerborough routings and have different manhattan routes are variants if you think otherwise then you made yourself look very stupid. Still using terrible examples to boost your weak argument. There is a reason they are called EXPRESS buses they are supposed to be faster than their alternatives if they aren't they defeat the purpose. Just stop already. Q70 is supposed to be a fast link otherwise it is just dumb like your argument.

LIRR ends at Penn dude you can't even use proper facts.

It's called express because it makes less stops then other modes, neer said they had to faster them the subway.

That's what I said the whole time about the LIRR, it ends at Penn Station. I never knew the QM21 stopped at Penn Station.

Ill stop when you stop your speed biasism.

Ahem the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 all have the same exact stops in the Bronx and in Riverdale for drop-off and for pick up.  Try again.

I know that was what I meant captain obvious

It's called express because it makes less stops then other modes, neer said they had to faster them the subway.

That's what I said the whole time about the LIRR, it ends at Penn Station. I never knew the QM21 stopped at Penn Station.

Ill stop when you stop your speed biasism.

What do you think the purpose of making less stops is? Simple to cut travel time and be faster than other modes hence why they are called EXPRESS buses not overpriced LTDs. This makes your argument even less credible.

I know that was what I meant captain obvious

What do you think the purpose of making less stops is? Simple to cut travel time and be faster than other modes hence why they are called EXPRESS buses not overpriced LTDs. This makes your argument even less credible.

Yeah , what about the (A) AND (C) in Manhattan. The (C) is faster than the (A) and vice versa a lot. 

Yeah , what about the (A) AND (C) in Manhattan. The (C) is faster than the (A) and vice versa a lot. 

Keep telling yourself that now you're just spouting nonsense. (A) goes all the way to the rockaways (C) ends at Euclid many switch between them another argument of sheer stupidity your making yourself look real bad. This is entertainment at this point reading your fail arguments. You forget what they are used for.

Archived