How to use the Express buses

Jsunflyguy

The best person to my knowledge to answer this is VG8.

Anyways, in my opinion, express buses should be fast than the train in some (if not all) cases. Express buses utilize HOV lanes and usually means no traffic, on top of that they take the Brooklyn Battery tunnel or whatever the new name is.  That tunnel is virtually traffic-less to my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure I can save time heading into Manhattan taking the BM3 over the subway any day, plus it's more comfortable with the coach style rather either standing on the crowded subway.  I would assume there would be less problems as well compared to the subway.

A rather straight forward question. What are the advantages of taking the express bus? how would you utilize them effectively? And isnt it much more simple to take the train?

There are many advantages factored into using express routes, such as a faster commute in comparison to local service alternatives (local bus/subway), eliminated/reduced need to transfer, and almost certain guarantee of a seat. Furthermore the motorcoach fleet used on the express routes are designed to be accommodating to longer commutes and as such feature cushioned recliners, personal HVAC vents, reading lights, and power outlets in select seating rows.

In regard to efficiency, that varies on a case to case basis but as mentioned above commute time savings are usually greater in comparison to other modes.  And simplicity likewise varies on a case to case basis, but again most times the express bus reigns supreme against comparable alternatives.

Example, if I were to leave Coney Island now via the (D) I wouldn't reach Lower Manhattan for a good hour. The :bus_bullet_x28: on the other hand would nearly cut travel time to a half hour, or nearly in half, which in turns makes it much more comparable to a taxi or even a personal vehicle.

Ultimately it's up to you to make the decision as you know your commute better than I do, but if an express route were available as an alternative I'd highly recommend it.

P.S. Welcome to NYCTF. Enjoy your stay.

It also depends on where you're leaving from. I'm not entirely sure how the Queens Blvd buses stack up against the subway, because QBL's express is as fast as it gets, but you're also paying for comfort and no transferring (or minimal transferring), in the case of the Queens expresses.

Queens has a very expanded network, only a few them though operates off peak.

Brooklyn express bus don't operate on Sundays except the X27, and the X28 doesn't operate at all on weekends.

In the Bronx only the BxM18 doesn't operate daily ( All the other Bronx express buses have daily service), so that clearly has the most express bus service besides Staten Island.

On Staten Island, the X1,X10, and X17 are the only buses operating daily, although almost the express bus network on the island is situated around these three routes.

They don't operate as much as the subway....

However, It's a good idea to use them if you're going to the city compared to the bus to subway, because there are less delays, so when you can, use them AMAP (so they don't get cut).

During off peak hours, you are always guaranteed a seat (the only exception is some Saturday QM2's and some X1's.

A rather straight forward question. What are the advantages of taking the express bus? how would you utilize them effectively? And isnt it much more simple to take the train?

For starters, the subway does not run everywhere.  Express buses are generally found in areas that are either far away from the subway or require tedious and time consuming transfers in order to get to one and for those who want a faster and less stressful commute, it makes much more sense to take the express bus.  They function like mobile subways in a way in that in Manhattan, most lines tend to make a stops with similar distances to say a local or express subway.

I live in a neighborhood that doesn't have a subway and have lived in other areas as well that didn't have them and the express bus is truly a life saver.  A few examples are below:

-On Staten Island, without the express bus, when I worked in Chelsea, I had to take a local bus to the ferry, then the ferry to the subway and then another subway at times if I wanted a shorter walk.  When I started taking the X16, my commute cut out two transfers and a ton of commute time.  My commute went from about 1:30 to almost two hours at times when things were messed up to about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how early I left to go to the office which was fantastic.

-When I worked in Midtown, I had one bus to take with no transfers versus the local bus to the ferry to the subway, so that saved me on transfers and provided a slightly quicker commute.  The thing is when you have to make so many transfers, it increases your chances of something getting screwed up and thus screwing up your whole commute.  In theory my bus ride to the ferry was supposed to be short via the limited stop bus, but that often times caused me to miss my ferry and elongated my commute by an additional 30 minutes by the time the bus actually came and I got the next ferry, so there were times where my commute was over 2 hours one way.  It can happen with the express bus too, but at least you can relax on the bus and get a nap.  Then there's also the stress of making each connection, running frantically from the bus to the ferry and so on.  In fact it was the constant problems with the local bus to the ferry that literally forced me to start taking the express bus because it was unreliable and I kept leaving earlier and earlier and spending more and more time commuting to work and lateness is something that can get you fired so I tried out the express bus as an experiment for a week, realized how much more convenient and reliable it was (not to mention less stressful) and switched to it permanently.  

In my current location I would have to take a local bus from Riverdale to the (1) train in the Bronx which is local all the way to 96th street, then transfer to the express to save some time, then transfer again and then walk from there.  I tried that commute as a test and it is brutal.  I was exhausted by the time I got to the office, so in short, when you get a job that commands a lot of time and is stressful, having a stressful commute can really take a toll on you mentally and physically and if you have a family to go home to, you want to spend more time with them so there are many reasons why people take the express bus.  Some also are disabled or have mobility problems in addition to long commutes that are cut down by the express bus.

If you live in Staten island the benefits are obvious it's way faster than the ferry if you're not in northeastern Staten island that is. X17/10 are excellent and if heading to the Bronx have timed links with bxm lines. The best ones are BXM7-11 7,8,9,10&11 all serve distant areas that are very far from the nearest subway station or the subway line there is too slow. These get on the bruckner and bolt down to Manhattan really fast and the subway to bus transfers are embarrassingly slow compared to those lines. The QM5/6 are much better than their alternatives. However lines like QM21 or bxm4 and Qm18&3 not even close to beneficial as they either are duplicative of much faster and more frequent services. In bayside just take LIRR. On lefferts your better off with Q10 LTD to the (E)(F) instead. On the grand concorse your wasting $$$ on a line that is not much faster than the (4)(D) . But in areas like bay ridge they are a life saver x27/37 are way better than putting up with the (R).

I take the QM21 from Rochdale. Going to the city no problem. Coming back you have to deal with traffic on Queens Blvd and the LIE. When it rains it's worse. The subway and bus transfer to where I live is faster.

Then do the subway and bus transfer end of discussion. QM21 is one of those redundant express lines therefore it is not fair to judge express buses based on QM21 or even compare it to others that are actually faster than the subway.

I take the QM21 from Rochdale. Going to the city no problem. Coming back you have to deal with traffic on Queens Blvd and the LIE. When it rains it's worse. The subway and bus transfer to where I live is faster.

If there's no problem to the city, then stick with the QM21

Going back could be a hit or a miss

I remember my first bus ride on an express, last year on the QM18, was really comfortable (with a convenient transfer to the Q38), some traffic but that's the least of problems.

I would've taken the QM18 every day over the (R) when I worked in Manhattan, if only it stopped at Woodhaven Blvd.

The QM21 isn't so bad going back. However, if you do feel like doing it, the M23 to the (4)(5)(6) to the (R) to the (F) to the Q111 does also, although they are crowded as they are.

If you live in Staten island the benefits are obvious it's way faster than the ferry if you're not in northeastern Staten island that is. X17/10 are excellent and if heading to the Bronx have timed links with bxm lines. The best ones are BXM7-11 7,8,9,10&11 all serve distant areas that are very far from the nearest subway station or the subway line there is too slow. These get on the bruckner and bolt down to Manhattan really fast and the subway to bus transfers are embarrassingly slow compared to those lines. The QM5/6 are much better than their alternatives. However lines like QM21 or bxm4 and Qm18&3 not even close to beneficial as they either are duplicative of much faster and more frequent services. In bayside just take LIRR. On lefferts your better off with Q10 LTD to the (E)(F) instead. On the grand concorse your wasting $$$ on a line that is not much faster than the (4)(D) . But in areas like bay ridge they are a life saver x27/37 are way better than putting up with the (R).

Then do the subway and bus transfer end of discussion. QM21 is one of those redundant express lines therefore it is not fair to judge express buses based on QM21 or even compare it to others that are actually faster than the subway.

It is not redundant.  It's actually very convenient for those who live in Rochdale Village as it is the only bus that goes into the neighborhood.  None of the local buses do that and your other option is a PITA walk to the LIRR or the local bus to the subway which is also a PITA.  The QM21 serves Madison Avenue, which has no subways aside from the (4)(5)(6) but that's at Grand Central.

Thanks for the input, I actually live near Rochdale and work in midtown. I was wobdering if the QM21 was worth the money as it only has three trips a day. I work very early so I wasnt confident the 1h 20m ride was believable.

The QM21 has 7 trips alone to Midtown, spaced out every 30 minutes from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM

It has 7 buses spaced out every 30 minutes, between Midtown and Rochdale Village between 4:10 PM and 7:10 PM, then trips leaving at 8:10 and 9:10 PM afterward.

Thanks for the input, I actually live near Rochdale and work in midtown. I was wobdering if the QM21 was worth the money as it only has three trips a day. I work very early so I wasnt confident the 1h 20m ride was believable.

You live almost near the Long Island border and you have to ask yourself that question? I had to go out in Eastern Queens for a tutoring session and there was no way that I was using the subway. I mean you have to ask yourself if you would prefer a nice and quiet commute, or do you want to make a ton of transfers with panhandlers and other obnoxious rude people on the subway?  It's not only a question of time and comfort but also about getting a piece of mind.  For me, having personal time to myself after a long day in the office is an important priority, so spending more to take the express bus or MetroNorth is certainly worth it IMO.  You also have the LIRR in your case.

It is not redundant. It's actually very convenient for those who live in Rochdale Village as it is the only bus that goes into the neighborhood. None of the local buses do that and your other option is a PITA walk to the LIRR or the local bus to the subway which is also a PITA. The QM21 serves Madison Avenue, which has no subways aside from the (4)(5)(6) but that's at Grand Central.

THE QM21 is the ONLY BUS that ACTUALLY ENTERS Rochdale Village. The rest require a walk, especially the 140 Avenue section, to the Q85 and Q111/Q113 which might not have a seat.

The QM21 end to end is 78 minutes

The Q111/Q113 is about 15 minutes on a good day to the (E) from that area.

Lets say it only takes 2 minutes to make the transfer to the (E).

The (E) to Lexington takes about 35 minutes at rush hour from Jamaica.

Lets say the transfer to the (6) is 3 minutes

The (6) ride is about another 15 minutes.

Walking is 6 minutes.

The subway and bus thing is 77 minutes.

The express bus is 78 minutes.

Not much of a difference.

This doesn't even include the walking distance to the Q111 and waiting time.

All this on a good day.

THE QM21 is the ONLY BUS that ACTUALLY ENTERS Rochdale Village. The rest require a walk, especially the 140 Avenue section, to the Q85 and Q111/Q113 which might not have a seat.

The QM21 end to end is 78 minutes

The Q111/Q113 is about 20 minutes on a good day to the (E) from that area.

Lets say it only takes 1 minute to make the transfer to the (E).

The (E) to Lexington

lol... That's my point... I don't know why anyone would go through such a hassle when you've got a bus right by you that you can get on and take to Manhattan unless you can't afford it. It is much more convenient.  

It is not redundant.  It's actually very convenient for those who live in Rochdale Village as it is the only bus that goes into the neighborhood.  None of the local buses do that and your other option is a PITA walk to the LIRR or the local bus to the subway which is also a PITA.  The QM21 serves Madison Avenue, which has no subways aside from the (4)(5)(6) but that's at Grand Central.

You forgot that the (E) connects to the (6) right? Try again. And with 30 min service it's easier to make your way to the more frequent x63. If the QM21 is truly that slow at 90 to 70 mins why even bother when the LIRR station is less than 5 mins away on foot yet almost 2 times faster.

Just do LIRR to M34 or M4/q32. If the express bus is not faster it's a waste of $$$. Your right it's more like 70 to 60 minutes your better off with LIRR. In to Penn in 30 mins or less. Or you can use Q111/113 or Q85 to linden Blvd for x63 If you got the patience that is. In your case if you want a premium service your better off with LIRR the traffic on the LIE & van wyck isn't worth it and is really not as flexible with LIRR you can get out work when you feel like it.

You forgot that the (E) connects to the (6) right? Try again. And with 30 min service it's easier to make your way to the more frequent x63. If the QM21 is truly that slow at 90 to 70 mins why even bother when the LIRR station is less than 5 mins away on foot yet almost 2 times faster.

Because Rochdale LIRR doesnt have as frequent service as the QM21 peak hours at all.

Because Rochdale LIRR doesnt have as frequent service as the QM21 peak hours at all.

Inaccurate it's called locust manor last I checked service at that station is WAY more frequent than the QM21 and faster. Recheck the schedule it's every 30 early am then every 20 to 10 minutes.http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/ click far rockaway TRY AGAIN. Correction it's every 13 to 14 minutes at rush hour. The LIRR is twice as fast and twice as frequent as the QM21 which just lost reverse peak service and more people are starting to realize other methods are just better.

Inaccurate it's called locust manor last I checked service at that station is WAY more frequent than the QM21 and faster. Recheck the schedule it's every 30 early am then every 20 to 10 minutes.http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/ click far rockaway TRY AGAIN. Correction it's every 13 to 14 minutes at rush hour. The LIRR is twice as fast and twice as frequent as the QM21 which just lost reverse peak service and more people are starting to realize other methods are just better.

And the people on Guy R. Brewer, Van Wyck, and Merrick, that actually prefer it over the X63 because it gets to certain areas faster?

And yes, the LIRR is good to take you to a service area not even close to the QM21.

It's called rush hour for a reason, people have their way of traveling, the LIRR is more expensive, and still requires all the subway+bus transfer just to/from to the West Side.

And the people on Guy R. Brewer, Van Wyck, and Merrick, that actually prefer it over the X63 because it gets to certain areas faster?

And yes, the LIRR is good to take you to a service area not even close to the QM21.

Pathetic argument you can't even get the routes properly. Merrick is served by x63 last I checked. Stops on guy R brewer are barely used on QM21 there are no stops on the van wyck itself son. By van wyck queens Blvd x68/64 go there. Try again with a valid argument that isn't completely way off base. Ohh last I checked licust manor is within a 10 min walk of all the Rochdale village stops on QM21 TRY AGAIN. You lose now stop.

Lets say you are traveling from the 127 Avenue Stop to the 57th/3rd Stop

78 minutes.

Walk to the LIRR: 15 minutes

You wait 5 minutes just in case

Service to Penn Station: 28 Minutes

That's just 48 minutes alone.

Getting out of that puzzle mess is about 3 minutes.

Now to get to 57/3 Avenue

Having spent 51 minutes.

Now take the M34/M34A about 10 minutes on a good day to 3 Avenue

61 minutes

Ill say it takes 1 minute for a connection.

Ill say it takes 8 minutes on the M101 LTD, which is 70 minutes.

Taking the LIRR and those friggin transfers just to save 7 minutes. On top of that te peak fare.

It's called rush hour for a reason, people have their way of traveling, the LIRR is more expensive, and still requires all the subway+bus transfer just to/from to the West Side.

sad part is it's still twice as fast. Again for Madison you do realize M4 has a LTD at rush hour right? Subway depends on where in Manhattan. Fail stance I took QM21 and LIRR it's no contest.

Lets say you are traveling from the 127 Avenue Stop to the 57th/3rd Stop

78 minutes.

Walk to the LIRR: 15 minutes

You wait 5 minutes just in case

Service to Penn Station: 28 Minutes

That's just 48 minutes alone.

Getting out of that puzzle mess is about 3 minutes.

Now to get to 57/3 Avenue

Having spent 51 minutes.

It's called frequent x63 or Q85 south to LIRR or north to x63 QM21 is so infrequent it's no longer useful. MTA killed it basically and is now in danger of elimination. For that it's called (E) to (6). And the (6) is used one station up to boot.

1.Pathetic argument you can't even get the routes properly. Merrick is served by x63 last I checked. Stops on guy R brewer are barely used on QM21 there are no stops on the van wyck itself son. By van wyck queens Blvd x68/64 go there.

2.Try again with a valid argument that isn't completely way off base. Ohh last I checked licust manor is within a 10 min walk of all the Rochdale village stops on QM21 TRY AGAIN. You lose now stop.

1.http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm21cur.pdf

Oh and the 21 still gets to 23 st areas faster then the 63/64/68 from Briarwood

Get back to me afterward

2. I'd like to know what a "valid argument" is for you. The LIRR isn't a solution for everything. The LIRR is catered for outer Long Island more than for Queens to Manhattan travel.

sad part is it's still twice as fast. Again for Madison you do realize M4 has a LTD at rush hour right? Subway depends on where in Manhattan.

I thought you said buses were an afterthought in Manhattan, now you actually suggest the M4LTD.

Please..

sad part is it's still twice as fast. Again for Madison you do realize M4 has a LTD at rush hour right? Subway depends on where in Manhattan. Fail stance I took QM21 and LIRR it's no contest.

It's called frequent x63 or Q85 south to LIRR or north to x63 QM21 is so infrequent it's no longer useful. MTA killed it basically and is now in danger of elimination. For that it's called (E) to (6). And the (6) is used one station up to boot.

How is it in danger of elimination.

QM21 headways were always like this, only thing they did was cut reverse peak service which didn't garner much, and those last 2 outbound trips.

It's all because of speed.

From Two lines that runs to the same general areas, you say the one that takes longer is redundant.

By this case, the QM3, which actually garners riders should be killed off, and every single express route in the System along with it is redundant.

Same the express routes on SI.

Give me one example where the LIRR Saves a substantial amount of time compared to the QM21, I mean like 13 minutes and beyond, because if its 12 or less, it isn't worth it to take the LIRR.

The QM21 garners 22.68 riders per trip, which is pretty good

($2160 per day)

I think the QM21 though is a very good option, so Im gonna say go for it.

Going back On topic:

To the OP: The QM21 is the most convinient way to get to Manhattan, no other mode competes with that, so you are getting the most bang for your buck.

Archived