C Train Service

Daniel The Cool

Ugh half of you guys don't know jack shit

If the (C) runs late nights to WTC, it wouldn't screw up the (E) due to the 20 minute head ways, atleast you would have a train every 10 minutes and if there's a GO they'll send it to 2nd ave instead

Common sense

And if these a GO on CPW they'll cut late night (C) service

A late night (C) couldn't terminate at Euclid anyway, the Lefferts Shuttle also terminates there. When the (F) runs to Euclid it is extended to Lefferts late nights, so a late night (C) would have to terminate at either WTC (like the old (AA) did), or Lefferts (eliminating the shuttle).

The Lefferts Blvd shuttle comes into Euclid on the express track, fumigates, then turns back on the Queens-bound express track and picks up on that side. Through local service is unaffected by the shuttle since it uses the local tracks.

1. There's a lefferts shuttle? What is it signed up as?

Its signed up as a yellow S on trains

I was going to say if they extended the (C) to late nights, wouldn't it caused more money to get overnight crews

2. If there was a G.O causing the (E) Train to 2nd Avenue, I thought it wouldn't work either if the (C) Ran.

There's a lot of stuff that needs to be thought about this, not just by looking at the schedule BUT observing alot. Not just once or barely either.

1 Yes, but if there's more paying customers because of the new service than it'll break even. And they could always go OPTO if needed...

2 The (F) has been rerouted to 2nd Ave multiple times in the past and the (E) still ran so I don't see why that would be different with the (E) vs the (C)...

20 minute headways at this time. The (AA) used to share WTC with the (E).

The Lefferts Shuttle and the (C) could both run separately at Euclid (since it is 20 minute headways), it would be easier to combine them though.

Which is what I would do and have the (A) go ONLY to Far Rockaway (as it does now) during those hours.

I understand late evening service, but is there really a need for two lines on Fulton Street in the middle of the night? Also, would that mean the A runs express overnights, because I'm pretty sure that's not necessary either.

Correction:

Express = fewer stops

Local = all stops

Why the (A) should run express at night (midnight to 6 a.m.) just so the (C) can keep running 24/7 is completely beyond me. Let me guess, you guys are all about the express being "faster"? How about focusing on ridership levels instead?

If there's overcrowding issues on Central Park West or 8 Avenue, the simple option is to keep the (C) running until 12 midnight or have the (D) run local north of 59 Street-Columbus Circle.

The (MTA) isn't some-backwater agency that will waste money on absolutely no benefits whatsoever. The way the entire subway system is set up is based on ridership levels, not based on what railbuffs want.

So take 8th Ave in the middle of the night and tell me that ridership isn't high, for 3 years (2009-2012) I've taken the (A) overnight and it gets decent ridership, after 2am the ridership drops, after 10:30 the (A) is crush loaded so having the (C) run to WTC during the overnight wouldn't hurt a thing, it would help especially when the (E) goes via 6th Ave during GO's

And this isn't what rail buffs want, 8th Ave ridership is growing, same as 7th Ave/Broadway (upper)

And you think the (MTA) makes sense think again, since 1968 they been doing stupid things, if the MTA was so smart they would have never cut service and over scrapped subway cars

So instead of thinking the MTA makes sense you should look at what's going on because the last time I checked the (A) has kept the same schedule since 1956

And to top it off you'll only need 4-5 train sets for an overnight (C)

Why not add at least a few more (A) or (E) trains to relieve overcrowding on the 8th Avenue line during the late evening hours? And/or at least run the (C) until 12 midnight?

How does running the (A) express in Manhattan and originating/terminating the (C) at World Trade Center during the overnight hours relieve crowding on the 8th Avenue line? Are there that many Inwood and Washington Heights commuters (north of 168th Street) that are heading downtown or uptown to or from the populated areas in the middle of the night to warrant your proposal? That's basically my main question I want to know, since most here (you included) claim that the 8th Avenue line gets "crushloaded" at night.

Why not add at least a few more (A) or (E) trains to relieve overcrowding on the 8th Avenue line during the late evening hours? And/or at least run the (C) until 12 midnight?

How does running the (A) express in Manhattan and originating/terminating the (C) at World Trade Center during the overnight hours relieve crowding on the 8th Avenue line? Are there that many Inwood and Washington Heights commuters (north of 168th Street) that are heading downtown or uptown to or from the populated areas in the middle of the night to warrant your proposal? That's basically my main question I want to know, since most here (you included) claim that the 8th Avenue line gets "crushloaded" at night.

Yeah All I said was to Extend the (C) Until the times I mentioned in the beginning of the thread. I never said to run it 24/7 but just stating the during late evening hours its jammed pack

Ridership grows between 59th st and W4th, trust me the (A) runs horrible at night especially with the large crowds from 59th,42nd,34th,14th and W4th St, having the (C) run until midnight wouldn't be bad ether and it'll help the (A) big time

The (E) has a lot of GO's so having extra (E) trains would be pointless

Its mainly those main stations for people who are going Towards Brooklyn after Franklin Ave its basically Seats available, after 1-2am ridership drops

Yeah All I said was to Extend the (C) Until the times I mentioned in the beginning of the thread. I never said to run it 24/7 but just stating the during late evening hours its jammed pack

I think the ideas suggested in your OP makes perfect sense to me, it should be done. Why, not just the (A) , even the (D) going northbound is very heavily traveled past midnight all the way to to the Bronx until about 167th Street, last time I lived in the Boggie Down, a regular commuter on the IND CPW. An extension on the timetables for the (C) for late evening service to Brooklyn will help.

Really since this to me is logistically possible and it does make sense for the sake of passenger demand, l believe the reason why the oversight committees have not done this already is because of budgetary concerns.

Nice to hear that the (A) and (D), while infrequent, are still busier and more demanding. If only crowding wasn't a problem at the stations that Christopher Henderson himself stated, the lines would be relatively standing-room only. Like Lance, Daniel, Realizm and others here, I don't see anything wrong with extending the (C) hours to 12 midnight either. Go for it.

Also another thing they need to do is extended the lefferts shuttle to Broadway Junction, I used to use it a lot in 2007-08 and trust me Euclid is a bad turn around, if it went to Broadway junction it would be helpful for people going to the city overnight since you have the (J)/(L) as well, sometimes they don't hold an (A) from far rock at euclid

So take 8th Ave in the middle of the night and tell me that ridership isn't high, for 3 years (2009-2012) I've taken the (A) overnight and it gets decent ridership, after 2am the ridership drops, after 10:30 the (A) is crush loaded so having the (C) run to WTC during the overnight wouldn't hurt a thing, it would help especially when the (E) goes via 6th Ave during GO'sAnd this isn't what rail buffs want, 8th Ave ridership is growing, same as 7th Ave/Broadway (upper) And you think the (MTA) makes sense think again, since 1968 they been doing stupid things, if the MTA was so smart they would have never cut service and over scrapped subway carsSo instead of thinking the MTA makes sense you should look at what's going on because the last time I checked the (A) has kept the same schedule since 1956And to top it off you'll only need 4-5 train sets for an overnight (C)
A train ridership is well below 125% of a seated load (that's the off-peak loading guideline) overnight. Running the C would be a waste of resources.

Also another thing they need to do is extended the lefferts shuttle to Broadway Junction, I used to use it a lot in 2007-08 and trust me Euclid is a bad turn around, if it went to Broadway junction it would be helpful for people going to the city overnight since you have the (J)/(L) as well, sometimes they don't hold an (A) from far rock at euclid
Another waste of resources. The Lefferts shuttle has very low ridership.

Euclid isn't a bad relay...the shuttle uses both express tracks at might to turn around. At that time, the (A) if local so both trains aren't in each others way.

Out would be the same exact way if you run it to the junction

@AndrewJC: Well, if they run the (C) OPTO with 4 cars it would relieve some (potential) crowding while not wasting too much resources. I do agree with you on the Lefferts shuttle, however. If people really need the (J) from Lefferts they can just take a bus to Jamaica (J) which is not that far off.

Euclid isn't a bad relay...the shuttle uses both express tracks at might to turn around. At that time, the (A) if local so both trains aren't in each others way.

Out would be the same exact way if you run it to the junction

Actually, you could during overnights extend both the Lefferts and Rockaway Park shuttles to Broadway Junction with both lines during that time running express between Euclid and Broadway Junction and using the express tracks to turn.  That would give those looking for/coming from the (J) during those hours extra service at Broadway Junction and not having to do the three-seat transfers.

Actually, you could during overnights extend both the Lefferts and Rockaway Park shuttles to Broadway Junction with both lines during that time running express between Euclid and Broadway Junction and using the express tracks to turn. That would give those looking for/coming from the (J) during those hours extra service at Broadway Junction and not having to do the three-seat transfers.

Do you realize how many riders use the Rockaway park shuttle overnight...almost no one.

How is ridership on the (A) in Far Rockaway between 12:00- 5:30AM?

I was thinking that the (A) could terminate at Lefferts at late night and the (S) will serve both Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway and go to Eucild Ave.

I know for sure that Rockaway Park doesn't get much service anyway because those station has the least ridership in the system but could it work?

I noticed the (A) take over 2 hours to get from end to end and maybe cutting it back to Lefferts at Night will help.

I was also thinking about having the (A) terminate at 168th street at night and have those people transfer to the (1) but then those few extra stations won't make a difference anyway.

How is ridership on the (A) in Far Rockaway between 12:00- 5:30AM?

I was thinking that the (A) could terminate at Lefferts at late night and the (S) will serve both Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway and go to Eucild Ave.

I know for sure that Rockaway Park doesn't get much service anyway because those station has the least ridership in the system but could it work?

I noticed the (A) take over 2 hours to get from end to end and maybe cutting it back to Lefferts at Night will help.

I was also thinking about having the (A) terminate at 168th street at night and have those people transfer to the (1) but then those few extra stations won't make a difference anyway.

That actually was how it went decades ago. Late nights all trains went to Lefferts Bl, and there was a "Rockaway Round Robin" shuttle that started at Euclid, then went to Rockaway Park, switched ends then doubled back to Far Rockaway using Hammels Wye, then doubled back again and went to Euclid Av.

Totally useless. It ran every 20 minutes, and in some places you would have to double that wait if you missed the train. They changed everything around and Far Rockaway became the full-time terminal, Lefferts trains became the shuttle, and the current Rockaway Park (S) was created.

@AndrewJC: Well, if they run the (C) OPTO with 4 cars it would relieve some (potential) crowding while not wasting too much resources. I do agree with you on the Lefferts shuttle, however. If people really need the (J) from Lefferts they can just take a bus to Jamaica (J) which is not that far off.

After 1am from that area the only bus you have is the Q10, I was talking about people who are going to the city during the midnight hours, sometimes the (A) from the rock aways doesn't wait for shuttle and that's another 20 minute wait for an (A) train, now if it goes to Broadway junction you have 2 other choices instead of 1 when it comes to people coming from and going to the city and it can turn at bway junction without any problem

Archived