C Train Service

Daniel The Cool

@Wallyhorse: If you want to do something about the Rock Park shuttle overnight then why not combine it with the Lefferts shuttle?

Its impossible for a train to go from Lefferts to Rockaway Park without backtracking...exactly the same problem the old Rockaways shuttle had

After 1am from that area the only bus you have is the Q10, I was talking about people who are going to the city during the midnight hours, sometimes the (A) from the rock aways doesn't wait for shuttle and that's another 20 minute wait for an (A) train, now if it goes to Broadway junction you have 2 other choices instead of 1 when it comes to people coming from and going to the city and it can turn at bway junction without any problem

The only actual scheduled connection in the subway system is at Nevins Street with the (2) and (4) during the night hours.

So? Then let 'em walk to Jamaica if they don't want to be bothered by the Q10. It's not like it's *that* far of a walk.

I said people going/coming from the city, not Jamaica and I'm gonna be honest its quite a walk since I done it a few times

That actually was how it went decades ago. Late nights all trains went to Lefferts Bl, and there was a "Rockaway Round Robin" shuttle that started at Euclid, then went to Rockaway Park, switched ends then doubled back to Far Rockaway using Hammels Wye, then doubled back again and went to Euclid Av.

Totally useless. It ran every 20 minutes, and in some places you would have to double that wait if you missed the train. They changed everything around and Far Rockaway became the full-time terminal, Lefferts trains became the shuttle, and the current Rockaway Park (S) was created.

Yep. I remember this.

@AndrewJC: Well, if they run the (C) OPTO with 4 cars it would relieve some (potential) crowding while not wasting too much resources. I do agree with you on the Lefferts shuttle, however. If people really need the (J) from Lefferts they can just take a bus to Jamaica  (J) which is not that far off.

The crowding that you speak of doesn't exist. Running any form of C would be a waste, and you'd have to do a major equipment swap every evening and morning to obtain four-car OPTO-compatible trains (R32's can't be used for OPTO).

Overnight subway service isn't supposed to be convenient.

After 1am from that area the only bus you have is the Q10, I was talking about people who are going to the city during the midnight hours, sometimes the (A) from the rock aways doesn't wait for shuttle and that's another 20 minute wait for an (A) train, now if it goes to Broadway junction you have 2 other choices instead of 1 when it comes to people coming from and going to the city and it can turn at bway junction without any problem

The A is scheduled to leave Euclid two minutes behind each shuttle at night. If the schedule isn't providing the shuttle with enough time to get to Euclid ahead of the A, rewrite the schedule. If the schedule is providing the A with too much time to get to Euclid, so it gets there early, instruct the conductors on the A to wait at Euclid until the scheduled departure time.

Problem solved, at much lower cost than running shuttle trains all the way to Broadway Junction.

@R32: And I said in the post before that they could take the (J) from Jamaica. You did read my previous post so you'd know what I was talking about. But let me rephrase it for you so you feel comfortable:

"So? If they don't want to be bothered by the Q10 then let 'em walk to Jamaica and take the (J) from/to there. It's not like it's *that* far of a walk. And if they think it's too long, then there you go with the Q10. Problem solved."

The crowding that you speak of doesn't exist. Running any form of C would be a waste, and you'd have to do a major equipment swap every evening and morning to obtain four-car OPTO-compatible trains (R32's can't be used for OPTO).

Overnight subway service isn't supposed to be convenient.

I don't think convenient is the correct word to be used here because I'm sure it's pretty damn convenient for those who use the subway overnights. It's just the likelihood of getting one-seat rides and express service is lower at night than during the day. 

I don't think convenient is the correct word to be used here because I'm sure it's pretty damn convenient for those who use the subway overnights. It's just the likelihood of getting one-seat rides and express service is lower at night than during the day. 

I think most riders consider transfers to be at least somewhat inconvenient, especially when headways are long. But if you don't like my word, I won't be offended if you pick a different one!

Archived