C Train Service

Daniel The Cool

I know some railfans think the (C) Should run overnight between 168th Street and WTC, I disagree because of the late night G.Os and its really not necessary BUT however, I think they should extend the (C) Train hours to the following time

Last Northbound (C) Leaves Euclid Avenue At 22:56

Last Southbound (C) Leaves 168th Street At 23:03

I think it would make sense to do that because I Do I agree and noticed that the (A) is still crowded after (C) Train ends in Manhattan and if they extended the (C) Train hours, it will ease off the crowd and the (A) could start local service later instead of its usual 10ish. Not sound foamy and all either But the (A) Local by itself during the evenings is really annoying What you guys think of this idea?

The (A)'s I've been taking around 930pm through 1030pm aren't crowded at all.  And the ©'s I see still passing through before 930pm aren't crowded either.  Is it because of the area I'm in? (Lower Manhattan)

Probably because Everytime I'm Uptown (Either 59th Street or 42nd Street) its really crowded

The (A)'s I've been taking around 930pm through 1030pm aren't crowded at all.  And the ©'s I see still passing through before 930pm aren't crowded either.  Is it because of the area I'm in? (Lower Manhattan)

The (C) probably peaks crowding very early on - in Lower Manhattan, it usually starts peaking right around the time school lets out (which is usually 2-3:30).

The problem is that with nearly every uptown trip most people are making from Lower Manhattan (Columbus Circle, 42nd St, Penn, 14th St) it is almost always faster to take the West Side IRT, which is never more than a block away.

I'd have it run only from 168th to 59th, to supplement the (A) along CPW.

59 St-Columbus Circle is not a good place to turn trains. If Transit ever wanted to run the C during the late evening hours, but didn't want to run it into Brooklyn, it would be better to run it to the World Trade Center.

A late night (C) couldn't terminate at Euclid anyway, the Lefferts Shuttle also terminates there. When the (F) runs to Euclid it is extended to Lefferts late nights, so a late night (C) would have to terminate at either WTC (like the old (AA) did), or Lefferts (eliminating the shuttle).

The (C) couldn't terminate at WTC anyway because the (E) terminates there.

20 minute headways at this time. The (AA) used to share WTC with the (E).

The Lefferts Shuttle and the (C) could both run separately at Euclid (since it is 20 minute headways), it would be easier to combine them though.

The C and E have shared the World Trade Center terminal for years during off hours before all local service was sent to Brooklyn, dating back to the days of the AA and the 8th Avenue K. Sending a few trains there won't throw a monkey's wrench into Eighth Avenue operations.

On the subject of the F reroutes, the F was extended from Euclid Av to Lefferts Blvd in lieu of the shuttle not because Euclid couldn't turn both the Lefferts shuttle and the F, but because it didn't make sense to run both at the same time. It'd be kind of stupid to turn two services (one eastbound, the other westbound) when one could be run straight through.

20 minute headways at this time. The (AA) used to share WTC with the (E).

The Lefferts Shuttle and the (C) could both run separately at Euclid (since it is 20 minute headways), it would be easier to combine them though.

Nah the reason it wouldn't work because of those late night G.Os which SOME of them could be big and it will screw up service. Extending it through Late Evenings is good enough

The C and E have shared the World Trade Center terminal for years during off hours before all local service was sent to Brooklyn, dating back to the days of the AA and the 8th Avenue K. Sending a few trains there won't throw a monkey's wrench into Eighth Avenue operations.

On the subject of the F reroutes, the F was extended from Euclid Av to Lefferts Blvd in lieu of the shuttle not because Euclid couldn't turn both the Lefferts shuttle and the F, but because it didn't make sense to run both at the same time. It'd be kind of stupid to turn two services (one eastbound, the other westbound) when one could be run straight through.

IAWTP.

Note Lance said a few (C) trains not all. That was the actual service pattern back then even before the capacity issues at 179th Street pre Archer Avenue Subway or a 63rd Street Connector was put in revenue service on the QBL to be fair. The Fulton St express tracks was not even utilized by the (A) full time other than rush hours during those days as an attempt by the current RCC to increase capacity through the Cranberry Street tubes as with today, which works.

The issue with the (E) is its terminals in Queens not Manhattan.

Note Lance said a few (C) trains not all. That was the actual service pattern back then even before the capacity issues at 179th Street pre Archer Avenue Subway or a 63rd Street Connector was put in revenue service on the QBL to be fair. The Fulton St express tracks was not even utilized by the (A) full time other than rush hours during those days as an attempt by the current RCC to increase capacity through the Cranberry Street tubes as with today, which works.

The issue with the (E) is its terminals in Queens not Manhattan.

Yep - the (E) is limited to (I believe) 12 TPH in Queens. A stub-end terminal like WTC should be able to handle 24 TPH, but I don't know if it could actually do this in practice; trains basically crawl into WTC at the current 15 TPH level.

Yep - the (E) is limited to (I believe) 12 TPH in Queens. A stub-end terminal like WTC should be able to handle 24 TPH, but I don't know if it could actually do this in practice; trains basically crawl into WTC at the current 15 TPH level.

Those things called Timers....

I can see why the timers are there though as RTOMan was saying, its to prevent station overruns. It wouldn't be too cool to see a train crew blow into WTC at full speed and then smash into a dead end block. Makes perfect sense to have those slow timers there in this case.

Archived