Beware of Leaves

Harry

There is no other answer out there. The only option is to cover up those cuts into tunnels. It would take too long to remove all those leaves for a day, and then doing it again the next day due to the fact more leaves came down overnight...........

You know, they have less permanent ways to catch leaves... like nets.

They don't do the rail adhesion gel anymore? Or it wasn't working good enough, and they gave up on it?

They still do it. Every night from 10/15 - 12/15 on the Dyre line. Occasionally they'll call it off if it's gonna rain though.

The most logical alternative is cutting down trees, however that gets a whole bunch of people upset.

Building "roofs" and "nets" or enclosing outdoor lines in tunnel is not realistic. Plus leaves blow around anyway, they'd still get on the tracks.

I like what Steven said... A net for cut-in stations such as the Brighton line from Newkirk Ave to Prospect Park isn't such a bad idea. It may take a weekend to do it, but it's pretty simple and not that costly. Stretch a net from one side of the other over the top, and leaves can't get in. Then, when the season is over, remove the net. The only problem I can see happening is god forbid the net tearing, then there would be a problem... Or just make a tear-resistant net. Also cleaning it... You can't just leave a whole bunch of leaves on top and have them blow all over the place (then again, they do that anyway). 

The only problem I can see happening is god forbid the net tearing, then there would be a problem... Or just make a tear-resistant net. Also cleaning it... You can't just leave a whole bunch of leaves on top and have them blow all over the place (then again, they do that anyway). 

Hence why it's not a practical solution to the problem.

Hence why it's not a practical solution to the problem.

Yes, but I also added some solutions to those problems. There are some tear-resistant nets around as I've seen them. Also, the leaves accumulating on top and blowing around happens anyway in the street. 

Like I was saying before cut the trees down. That solves the problem. However alot of the trees from where the leaves are falling, lies on private property. That's the problem that is exclusive to Brighton Beach when compared to the Sea Beach. 

Like I was saying before cut the trees down. That solves the problem. However alot of the trees from where the leaves are falling, lies on private property. That's the problem that is exclusive to Brighton Beach when compared to the Sea Beach. 

On the Dyre Avenue line many of the trees are on (MTA) property. The problem up there is most acute on the stretch between Baychester Avenue and Gun Hill Road where the trees are located on a steep embankment. If too many trees are removed (not pruned) there are serious erosion problems in that area. The tree roots and associated underbrush help cut down on mud slides which have, on occasion, caused service shutdowns. I have personally seen trees, branches, mini-boulders, and the like slide down the embankment and onto the running rails. I don't know how many times I used SMEE equipment as leverage to move heavy foliage from the running rails. Anything short of a full size tree could be moved by that equipment IF you could line up the debris so it wouldn't interfere with the trip cock. I think supervision would frown upon that today but I kept my train moving rather than wait for help to arrive. I've seen 1-2 hour outages in service on weekdays up there. I've heard the weekend outages lasted longer than that.. Carry on.

Archived