When will Metro-North get with the times?

Via Garibaldi 8

The (MTA) is excellent at keeping schedule, not.

That is true remember Smith 9 street (F)(G). Anyway about Metro cards, First of all it is only for the city riders, to nassau and outer suburbs ONLY, you never see someone from putnam and suffolk carry an metrocard. Wouldn't it also be weird by putting a NYCT farecard into the machine and in exchange for another ticket. Also the transcation would also be limited because most of the monthly passes exceed maximum MC values anyways. But the pros is that for those who really don't need and want a Metrocard they could use it on something they need. Maybe we could put it in the waiting room also to prevent people from sleeping on the chairs and using the bathroom.

When I take the local bus to the LIRR at Jamaica, I've always wanted to be able to pay for a ticket with my metrocard and have the value of my transfer (2.50) be applied to the ticket price. 

By that logic, I should be able to apply that in reverse and have the price of my $466 monthly applied to an unlimited MetroCard (making it free).  I ride the Subway a good bit and I have to pay per ride, yet I don't complain.

By that logic, I should be able to apply that in reverse and have the price of my $466 monthly applied to an unlimited MetroCard (making it free).  I ride the Subway a good bit and I have to pay per ride, yet I don't complain.

My point is that if you are completing a single ride to a destination within a 2 hour time frame across two MTA services, the cost of the first mode of transportation should be applied to the second mode. It's a system already in place for the subway, local bus, and express bus, why not the commuter rails, as well?

If you are paying for a monthly LIRR ticket, then yes, I don't think it is so crazy to want it to apply to the subway as well, just as an unlimited express bus plus metrocard works on the local buses and subways, too. If I was paying $466 for the unreliable LIRR, I sure as hell would request that the MTA think about letting it work on the subways too LOL. 

MTA railroads have a ticket you can buy that's a round trip one side and a 2 ride MetroCard on the other. Look it up. You also have to keep in mind that these are all different agencies. Subway and buses are run by NYCTA & MTA bus. MNR & LIRR are railroads and are completely desperate from NYCTA besides them being owned by the same company.

Oh really?  I've been hearing that for years... Think about it though... I can use my MetroCard for everything (express bus, local bus, subway, etc.) but not the LIRR or Metro-North...

We should see a new payment system in 2019 at the earliest as the (MTA) has stated it will cost too much to maintain the MetroCard after that point. Though, looking at Transport for London and it's Oyster card (Being replaced with a new card that has the features the (MTA) wants), I think the (MTA) should just work on getting the SmartCard system going with the basic features first. Subway, bus, railroad and possible ferry connectivity. Then move towards all the extras later on like what they did with MetroCard. 

Why not take a book from the MBTA and create an app for tickets?

Would save in fees, paper, processing, etc. 

I wish metra did it. it would be cool.

And when will they get with the times? When more money is avaliable honestly :P

MTA has chosen to outsource all of its app development (not a bad idea considering their own techies have their hands full with the BusTime rollout, the corresponding BusTrek, and a whole bunch of other things)

The website needs to become a lot more friendly first.

Am I the only one who likes (MTA)'s website? IMHO it looks simple, but not ugly 90s simple and I find it easy to navigate the site. Could be due to the fact that transport companies sites here suck but still: I like the (MTA)'s website as it is, it look good enough, it works and it's easy.

I think one big thing was overlooked here: The Metro-Card is only used for New York City Transit operations, not anything else under (MTA)'s purview (so Bee-Line etc. doesn't count). Metro-North and LIRR are distinct entities that have separate fare schedules and collection apparatuses behind them. The profits of fares are likely not just mixed into one big pot but distributed according to each agency to allow fare hikes etc. to be distributed to where they're most needed. So I think its no accident that fares are designed to be physically separate between the different agencies. Just conjecture though. Does anyone know how the (MTA) works that?

I think one big thing was overlooked here: The Metro-Card is only used for New York City Transit operations, not anything else under (MTA)'s purview (so Bee-Line etc. doesn't count). Metro-North and LIRR are distinct entities that have separate fare schedules and collection apparatuses behind them. The profits of fares are likely not just mixed into one big pot but distributed according to each agency to allow fare hikes etc. to be distributed to where they're most needed. So I think its no accident that fares are designed to be physically separate between the different agencies. Just conjecture though. Does anyone know how the (MTA) works that?
The same is here with PACE/CTA using ventra, and Metra is maybe jumping on the ventra ship also. All three are managed (like the MTA) under one organization, the RTA. But they operate like they are separate, even though link ups are avaliable. Hell, because half the METRA lines are operated by UP and BNSF crews and managment,theres that division with in the commuter rail system.Odd thing i noticed in the Tribune today was that Metra is going to pull a page out of the MBTA book and trial smartphone ticketing next year. I think its smart, but still leaves division between the agencies. Also, South Shore Line, which is part of NITCD, a totally separate transit organization, is totally disconnected from the RTA. Makes sense, but causes head aches when you use them for transportation at times because of separate ticketing and operations.I think a lot of this division is due to politics. The only thing the 7 metro counties in Chicago can agree on is transit, and this is much thr case else where, even though they whine about everything. Working for CMAP (Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning) , has shown that they cant agree on jack outside of that. Wanna solve housing prices? Nope, Dupage County (richest in the state) will fight you to the death.One of the biggest reasons i think commuter rail systems dont use metrocard style tickets is because you need physicall barriers at everystation for the cards to be used. Readers, turnstiles, etc. that would cost millions of dollars that the agencies dont have. I mean commuter rail systems may be in a bind after 2015, because of thr law that requires PTC. The number quoted for implementing it in Metra Lines is $289 million. Im sure for the MTA its higher.These are just my thoughts for my city, not sure how it is there.Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk
Am I the only one who likes (MTA)'s website? IMHO it looks simple, but not ugly 90s simple and I find it easy to navigate the site. Could be due to the fact that transport companies sites here suck but still: I like the (MTA)'s website as it is, it look good enough, it works and it's easy.
I disagree. I didnt know that they sold day trip packages until i opened a guide book. And it took me forever to find the link. It seems the info becomes redundant at times too.Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

I think one big thing was overlooked here: The Metro-Card is only used for New York City Transit operations, not anything else under (MTA)'s purview (so Bee-Line etc. doesn't count). Metro-North and LIRR are distinct entities that have separate fare schedules and collection apparatuses behind them. The profits of fares are likely not just mixed into one big pot but distributed according to each agency to allow fare hikes etc. to be distributed to where they're most needed. So I think its no accident that fares are designed to be physically separate between the different agencies. Just conjecture though. Does anyone know how the (MTA) works that?

I'm not overlooking it at all. I'm aware of that set up.  I think it needs to be changed in terms of passenger convenience.  Why should we be punished because Metro-North and the LIRR are distinct entities?  Distinct or not they're still under the (MTA), and that's the point.  When I use the express bus, the (MTA) collects the fare.  When I use Metro-North, the (MTA) collects the fare.  

The site is a step up from what they had before (no question) but it still needs improvement.  The detours they post online are always riddled with errors, so much so that they leave you completely confused and running around without a clue of where you're supposed to be.  For example, they'll post one set of detours on the website, but then the bus route you're using, the B/O either doesn't have a clue of what the detour is, or is told to take another route, defeating the purpose of posting the detour instructions since you still may not be able to get your bus.  

The other thing that irks me is that damn weekend subway map that I have to bypass to get to the regular site. It's as if everyone that rides with the (MTA) automatically uses the subway.  They should be just as proactive with making passengers aware of the detours or reroutes on other modes of transportation as they are with the subway.

The subway is the most important because it has the most aggregate riders by a very wide margin compared to commuter rail or bus. So it only makes sense that the one thing that will change the most people's weekends is posted first. Besides, its one click away. Is that TRULY such an inconvenience?

The subway is the most important because it has the most aggregate riders by a very wide margin compared to commuter rail or bus. So it only makes sense that the one thing that will change the most people's weekends is posted first. Besides, its one click away. Is that TRULY such an inconvenience?

They should just put up the standard website that they always put up. Those who need the subway changes can go to the link that they need.

@VG8: But is that really (MTA)'s fault that the detours are vague/filled with errors? Because the same thing is happening when NICE posts detours and here in Holland when Connexxion posts detours. So either it's a common occurrence with transit companies or it's just a very strange coincidence.

@VG8: But is that really (MTA)'s fault that the detours are vague/filled with errors? Because the same thing is happening when NICE posts detours and here in Holland when Connexxion posts detours. So either it's a common occurrence with transit companies or it's just a very strange coincidence.

LOL! Is that a serious question??  Unless the detours are being written and posted by someone other than the (MTA) then I would say yes, it's their fault.

It really depends on what you're using the website for.

If you're using the website to look up how the subway is doing, or maybe a bus schedule, it's fine. NYCT's section is relatively easy to use.

Now, I don't know about the MNR section, but the LIRR section of the website is atrocious. The system for looking up schedules and fares is not user-friendly (and also not the most efficient way to go about doing it - a fare zone map and a table of fares would be much better than all the clicking and typing one currently has to do).

Looking for actual resources by the MTA such as budget documents or developer information? Good luck with that.

And let's not even get into how ineffective physical MTA maps are. The bus maps are cluttered Pantone spaghetti, the schedules for buses are hard to read, and the LIRR schedules are not only difficult to read and somewhat confusing with all the notes and tidbits on the side, but they don't even list all the stops that trains stop at - looking at a Babylon Branch schedule, you wouldn't be able to tell which trains stop at St. Albans.

When it comes to communications, MTA has a lot of work to do (although it's by no means the worst), and peer agencies like LA Metro put it to shame.

@bobtehpanda: Documents I don't care about, I was just looking at it from a commuter POV.

I think the LIRR and MNRR sections (both are quite the same in terms of layout and stuff) need a bit of work, but I've seen a lot worse and it works fine so I don't see the problem there.

Looking for actual resources by the MTA such as budget documents or developer information? Good luck with that.

I actually didnt have much trouble when i needed SBS documents. I also emailed the NYCDOT (?) and MTA for documents, they gave them to me quickly. And with out a FOIA request.

@bobtehpanda: Documents I don't care about, I was just looking at it from a commuter POV.

I think the LIRR and MNRR sections (both are quite the same in terms of layout and stuff) need a bit of work, but I've seen a lot worse and it works fine so I don't see the problem there.

If they made it like the Metra site imo it would be great.

The LA Metro has like four people riding it, though. Might want to point that out....

Ride it for yourself at rush then. It's quite the contrary to the ever so freely perpetuated stereotypes of Californian residents. I bet $5 you'll be upclose and personal, and not at will either.

And they haven't cut it yet?!?? *Sarcasm*

Quiet you. Cali transit isn't of your concern, rofl.

Everyone hating on LA, cut me a break.

Archived