7 Day Express Metrocard that Refills itself

leo2car

Is there a way to have a 7-day Express Bus Metrocard to be refilled automatically every 7 days, when one period expires or is about to expire. So that people do not have to go on Sundays to refill the metrocard for the next work week. Most express bus riders do not go to a train station.

I think this poster is talking about automatic refills without the use of a machine. The Easy-pay-xpress is available in 30 day unlimiteds, and 7 day Express bus plus cards. Pay per rides too, are automatically refilled if the card value drops below $45 IIRC.

You need to link your Easy Pay xpress account with a debit/credit card for this to work and have balance available. 

Not to hijack the thread but I have a quick question: it says that the EasyPay Pay-Per-Ride is more useful for business trips/vacations, but it doesn't seem to me like it ever expires. So if you can't or don't want to use the Unlimited one, can you use the Pay-Per-Ride one forever?

There is no 7 Day Express Bus Plus card that automatically refills itself.  I've had this same dilemma myself and it's quite annoying.  What I do is keep two Metrocards on me.  When it's time to refill I'll usually refill one that still has days left on it since you can only put one refill on your card at a time <_< and then refill another one which will give me at least two weeks, but I don't know why they don't have an unlimited express bus card that can automatically refill itself.  It's a pain because I usually use the express bus or Metro-North, and there is no subway anywhere near me in Riverdale and the stations down in the Bronx along Broadway usually don't have the machines up and running or only a few of them which can create a headache, so I have to remember to refill in Manhattan and try to do it when I'm either using Metro-North or am down in the subway somewhere.

There is no 7 Day Express Bus Plus card that automatically refills itself.  I've had this same dilemma myself and it's quite annoying.  What I do is keep two Metrocards on me.  When it's time to refill I'll usually refill one that still has days left on it since you can only put one refill on your card at a time <_< and then refill another one which will give me at least two weeks, but I don't know why they don't have an unlimited express bus card that can automatically refill itself.  It's a pain because I usually use the express bus or Metro-North, and there is no subway anywhere near me in Riverdale and the stations down in the Bronx along Broadway usually don't have the machines up and running or only a few of them which can create a headache, so I have to remember to refill in Manhattan and try to do it when I'm either using Metro-North or am down in the subway somewhere.

Most NICE bus riders don't know MetroCard can add money-base value and unlimited rides valued.

I too don't understand why there isn't an Easy Pay Unlimited Express Bus card... You'd think this card was made with them in mind, seeing as most regular Exp Bus Riders are so because they're not anywhere near the subway, hence no easy way to refill unless one remembers to do so in the city. 

I use the PPR Easy Pay card, and I love not having the hassle of needing to stop at the MVM as you watch the Train pull in and out before you can complete your transaction. Or surprise surprise you get to the MVM only to find out the damn thing's not taking Plastic at this time, BOY that really burns me up.   :angry:

The MTA really does a horrible job of marketing the Easy Pay MC.....I read somewhere not even a Quarter of the city uses the feature. 

Most NICE bus riders don't know MetroCard can add money-base value and unlimited rides valued.

If they want to pay more they are welcome to do so.

I too don't understand why there isn't an Easy Pay Unlimited Express Bus card... You'd think this card was made with them in mind, seeing as most regular Exp Bus Riders are so because they're not anywhere near the subway, hence no easy way to refill unless one remembers to do so in the city. 

I use the PPR Easy Pay card, and I love not having the hassle of needing to stop at the MVM as you watch the Train pull in and out before you can complete your transaction. Or surprise surprise you get to the MVM only to find out the damn thing's not taking Plastic at this time, BOY that really burns me up.   :angry:

The MTA really does a horrible job of marketing the Easy Pay MC.....I read somewhere not even a Quarter of the city uses the feature. 

You can combine PPR and unlimited value monthly unless you use express all the time. I feel your pain when the machines don't take plastic I tell the booth rep or nearby cop and they let me pass for free.

Doesn't Transitchek offer 7 day Express bus plus cards? I remember reading something about that in a letter they sent me

Edit:

"

7-day and 30-day cards to be used on MTA NYC Transit subway and local buses, MTA Staten Island Railway and other MetroCard-equipped local bus services. Also available: the 7-day Express Bus Plus Card for unlimited express bus, local bus and subway rides. Good for seven days from first use."

If your employer offers Transitchek, then you can get an express bus card from them. It refills automatically by taking money out of your paycheck.

Doesn't Transitchek offer 7 day Express bus plus cards? I remember reading something about that in a letter they sent me

Edit:

"

7-day and 30-day cards to be used on MTA NYC Transit subway and local buses, MTA Staten Island Railway and other MetroCard-equipped local bus services. Also available: the 7-day Express Bus Plus Card for unlimited express bus, local bus and subway rides. Good for seven days from first use."

If your employer offers Transitchek, then you can get an express bus card from them. It refills automatically by taking money out of your paycheck.

Yeah that depends on the employer.  One of my old employers offered the Transitcheck, but didn't have the 7 Day Express Bus Plus cards, so I would get checks and then go get them myself, which was annoying and inconvenient, but at the same time the monies wasn't deducted from my check, so it was a trade off I guess.

Living out on Staten Island, this would be a major convenience.

I'm kinda shocked at how many Staten Islander's who commute into Manhattan everyday use Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards, You can see this when boarding the x23's and x24's which have the farebox's positioned in such a way you can see the previous user's balance or if they are using a pass ($6.00 left vs Exp 12/14). Almost 100% of passengers are using the PPR's  :unsure: Plus when on line to refill the cards at Eltingville Transit Center almost, it's again, exclusively PPR refills.

The math is pretty simple, it's a $5 saving each week, which is at least $260 savings per year if you buy a pass every week. Plus you get to dip and not really think about it. 

--

Plus I've jacked up using a single Metrocard as combination 7Day XBUS and PPR on the PATH two times. The card became unusable for the next week after using it on PATH. Luckily no time/money was lost. - Strange

Archived