MTA rejects proposed series of raises for LIRR workers, maintaining possibility of a summer strike

Harry

My point is you and I know that these raises will result in fare increases one way or another, and there is no other way to put it, so the idea that the (MTA) will paying for this is total crappola.

Is this your opinion or do you have evidence that the LIRR didn't have when they presented their case to the PEB? I recommend you read the PEB's findings then get back to me.

Is this your opinion or do you have evidence that the LIRR didn't have when they presented their case to the PEB? I recommend you read the PEB's findings then get back to me.

LOL... Come on now... You know the (MTA) and how they work... No I don't have evidence but neither of us was born just yesterday.  Whether they have it or not, you know who the costs will be passed on to.  That's my point.  

To everyone saying the MTA has the money that's like saying if your monthly bills went up you can afford it just because you're not completely broke after they're paid.

But it's OK that the workers expenses go up and the carrier doesn't give COLA but at the same time raising fares.

It was also OK to that the big wigs got what was due to them last year while the MTA was crying poverty.

To everyone saying the MTA has the money that's like saying if your monthly bills went up you can afford it just because you're not completely broke after they're paid. You still may have credit cards/car loans/rent/ mortage(s) that you wan't to pay down but you need the cash to do so.

"Wow! I have $100 a month left over after all my bills are paid,so that means I can afford for my rent to go up $100!  :) "

Doesn't work that way folks

Washington thinks differently. And the evidence in front of them is much more conclusive then anything on this board.

But it's OK that the workers expenses go up and the carrier doesn't give COLA but at the same time raising fares.

It was also OK to that the big wigs got what was due to them last year while the MTA was crying poverty.

Yeah but expenses for everyone are going up... You say that as if you guys are the only one.  lol

So while most businesses have to buckle down on raises and bonuses, and even conduct lay offs.  You all should get raises, so that our taxes and fares go up. sounds "OK".

Yeah but expenses for everyone are going up... You say that as if you guys are the only one.  lol

I never said we were the only one.  But it's the MTA / LIRR that raised it's fares, not the workers.  By doing so they set the stage for their current finances.

The bottom line is it was determined, by a third party, with the MTA / LIRR's current financial situation, they can afford raises with no change in work rules and no additional fare increases.  Feel free to read the 54 page report issued by the PEB for your self. Maybe the MTA used the wrong set of books for their presentation?

I'm sure if we wait long enough the MTA will "find" more money they didn't know they had similar to the two times last year.

I never said we were the only one.  But it's the MTA / LIRR that raised it's fares, not the workers.  By doing so they set the stage for their current finances.

The bottom line is it was determined, by a third party, with the MTA / LIRR's current financial situation, they can afford raises with no change in work rules and no additional fare increases.  Feel free to read the 54 page report issued by the PEB for your self. Maybe the MTA used the wrong set of books for their presentation?

I'm sure if we wait long enough the MTA will "find" more money they didn't know they had similar to the two times last year.

Yeah but the question is (and a rhetorical one at that) who has the final say on whether or not fares are raised?  

So while most businesses have to buckle down on raises and bonuses, and even conduct lay offs.  You all should get raises, so that our taxes and fares go up. sounds "OK".

Whether we get raises or not your fares and my taxes as well as yours are going to go up regardless. The fares went up in the past years without none of the agencies having a new contract. Pay attention to what they are doing and not what the MTA media is feeding you. They raise fares on "want" not "need". Surpluses of a billion each year and more wouldn't be discovered if the fare raises are based on need. They plan to raise the fares before any of this came out anyway.

Whether we get raises or not your fares and my taxes as well as yours are going to go up regardless. The fares went up in the past years without none of the agencies having a new contract. Pay attention to what they are doing and not what the MTA media is feeding you. They raise fares on "want" not "need". Surpluses of a billion each year and more wouldn't be discovered if the fare raises are based on need. They plan to raise the fares before any of this came out anyway.

Yes, but the question is how much and when is enough enough? 

I'd prefer they used the surplus to pay down their debt service so that they could increase service at no additional cost and potentially pay for expansion.

(for example if they pay $20 million a month in debt service and  they paid it off, they could increase service by $20 million a month without actually spending more, [to put it simply])

I'd prefer they used the surplus to pay down their debt service so that they could increase service at no additional cost and potentially pay for expansion.

(for example if they pay $20 million a month in debt service and  they paid it off, they could increase service by $20 million a month without actually spending more, [to put it simply])

Good idea . But if you follow their track record they waste instead of putting it to good use. ESA is a great example. You really want to know why your fares go up, look at that big hole in Sunnyside Yard. The more that project drags on the more expensive it gets. But they won't tell you that. They will blame labor costs in a heart beat. If you do some research , labor costs with OT is a small part of the MTA total budget compared to capital projects. Look it up..

The third party said that the MTA could issue bonds and take money from capital projects, which isn't true since you need local matching funds to qualify for federal dollars...

Good idea . But if you follow their track record they waste instead of putting it to good use. ESA is a great example. You really want to know why your fares go up, look at that big hole in Sunnyside Yard. The more that project drags on the more expensive it gets. But they won't tell you that. They will blame labor costs in a heart beat. If you do some research , labor costs with OT is a small part of the MTA total budget compared to capital projects. Look it up..

The capital budget and operations budget are completely separate. Operations wise, obligations related to labor (including pensions and wages) are projected to continue skyrocketing, as more and more railroad workers reach retirement age.

This is completely normal accounting, and follows practices used by nearly every governmental agency and every corporation. Is the MTA supposed to rob the riders of tomorrow to pay for raises today? There is no rationale for this, particularly since headline inflation has been at record lows since the beginning of the financial crisis.

Shame on the MTA! The MTA CAN PAY! their argument of 3 0's is falling apart!

= the rider will pay more!

Yay unions!

I bet many people who worked for Atlantic Express would do the job for half of what the Union wants now.

If a strike occurs this will be a huge disaster for Long Island. There's no way NICE would be able to handle all the additional LIRR riders. For riders further out east, they're gonna have to stay at home. Does the MTA have a plan that would include using some buses from the city to help? I was too young to remember what happened when the last LIRR strike happened. The MTA should not be playing this game of chicken, a strike will cost them more than paying the wage increase!

In reality companies with coach buses would probably step in and offer "service" from Long Island to Manhattan...

Here's my real beef... It's always the same story... "We work hard and everything is going up, so we need a raise".  Well excuse me, but what about the rest of us? I work over 50 hours a week and I don't automatically get a raise or a bonus every year.  It's based on how the company is doing financially.  That's the way it works with most Americans for that matter and many Americans haven't seen a raise in years.  I'm lucky enough to get a decent bonus.  Some companies started cutting out bonuses during the recession or cutting back on certain caveats.  I just find it rather arrogant to create this notion that somehow it's the (MTA) that will pay for those raises as if they're a cash cow.  The LIRR fares are so inflated for what you get and the service IMO is atrocious (constant delays and issues) so I don't see how they can justify asking for yet another raise.  They haven't had a contract in years... Big deal... Even without the raise, many of them earn just fine.  If they want to complain about raises, they should look to their fellow colleagues who stole thousands from the (MTA) , bloating their salaries and earning six figures when they weren't even working.  Absolutely disgusting.

It's a slap in the face to the riders if anything.  They want raises? Get their on-time performance up and then come back to us.  Hell some companies won't even hire people who live on Long Island because of the pathetic on-time record of the LIRR and I don't blame them.

We don't always agree but AMEN!

I would advise Long Islanders to take vacation that month and NOT to buy a monthly pass.  The MTA screwed owners of Unlimited subway passes during last year's weather disaster and did not provide refunds when they did not provide service.  So they will likely screw owners of Unlimited LIRR passes the same way if there were to be a strike.

LOL many people cannot afford to take a month off, and don't have a month of vacation built up...  For many people taking a month off = not going back...

Taxes and fares are getting out of control in this area, salaries arn't going up, this is why the youth of Long Island is leaving!  Soon Long Island will be nothing more than the super wealthy, those on public programs (paying for or reducing their housing costs), and those living off pensions from the (MTA) ,, police, and government agencies...  The youth are moving out of NY to up and coming areas where you can buy a 3, 4, or even 5 bedroom house for half the cost of a condo on LI, where takes on that house are $1,000 to $2,000 a year not $,7,000 to $12,000 a year...  Long Island is dying!

Anybody read today's article in the Daily News about managers and executives all over the MTA giving themselves raises and other secretive bonuses that they can't explain. I don't know how to tag on here. All you can do is laugh . But we get labeled the bad guy. That's where your raise fares are going folks.

Anybody read today's article in the Daily News about managers and executives all over the MTA giving themselves raises and other secretive bonuses that they can't explain. I don't know how to tag on here. All you can do is laugh . But we get labeled the bad guy. That's where your raise fares are going folks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/donohue-mta-wage-freezes-thaw-managers-execs-article-1.1584909

your welcome :)

This is why people hate when:

1)Fares go up

2)Albany creates more taxes and fees for the MTA

Archived