Woman dies during snowstorm after being hit by Q53 bus in Queens

User

pedestrian-struck-bus.jpg

bus.jpg

pedestrian-struck-bus.jpg

A woman died during the snowstorm Monday when she was struck by a Q53 bus in Queens.

The driver of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus hit the unidentified woman at the busy intersection of Roosevelt Ave., 74th St. and Broadway in Jackson Heights at about 4:41 p.m., officials said.

The bus driver was turning right onto Broadway from Roosevelt Ave. when the bus slammed into the woman, who was crossing from the west to the east side of Broadway, according to police. She died at the scene.

The bus driver stopped the bus and remained on the scene. Police said Monday night they were continuing to investigate the accident, but that no charges had been filed against the driver.

The streets were plowed so it does not appear poor road conditions were a factor.

LINK: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/woman-dies-snowstorm-hit-q53-bus-queens-article-1.1601281

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9418280

Seems to me the lady was crossing while the light was red. Doesn't really surprise me at all. Just hope the operator is ok.

Wait, is there a turning arrow at the street?

Are you saying the lady was crossing against the light?

How could the bus be making a right turn (legally) and the lady be crossing against the light?

Seems to me the lady was crossing while the light was red. Doesn't really surprise me at all. Just hope the operator is ok.

Jumping to conclusions are we now?

From the pictures at least, it seems that the lady had a green light to cross, but with your assumption there, you're basically saying the bus had a red light as well from the angle these photos were taking. Unlike yourself, I pray for the woman's family THEN hope that the driver doesn't fall into a post-traumatic state.

Jumping to conclusions are we now?

From the pictures at least, it seems that the lady had a green light to cross, but with your assumption there, you're basically saying the bus had a red light as well from the angle these photos were taking. Unlike yourself, I pray for the woman's family THEN hope that the driver doesn't fall into a post-traumatic state.

peacemaker, on the east side of Broadway, there's the Victor Moore terminal, where the Q33 and Q49 buses terminate. In addition, you have the Q47 and the Q70 buses. And don't forget the direct subway connection as well. I often see people running to catch their bus even if the light was red. Not really the best area to jaywalk considering it's a 4-lane road and you do have some potential blind spots at Roosevelt Ave.

YhbDa5A.png

Because it mentioned she was trying to cross to the east side of Broadway, it sounds to me she was on a hurry to catch one of the buses at the Victor Moore terminal and didn't see the light. I may be wrong about her case, but this is based on what the article described. Hopefully footage from the windshield camera from 626 will help determine who was at fault here. My condolences go out to her family, regardless if she was at fault or the operator. I just hope it doesn't cause any emotional trauma for the operator..after all, it's not a pretty sight to see..

Like I give a shit about the op when a woman's dead and the family's in pain, regardless of what caused the accident. Next time don't jump to idiotic conclusions.

Like I give a shit about the op when a woman's dead and the family's in pain, regardless of what caused the accident. Next time don't jump to idiotic conclusions.

Ok now this comment was uncalled for. Imagine how you would feel knowing you killed someone with your vehicle. Picture yourself in the driver's shoes. Everyone is in pain on both sides of the spectrum, both the victim's family and the driver him/herself.

Ok now this comment was uncalled for. Imagine how you would feel knowing you killed someone with your vehicle. Picture yourself in the driver's shoes. Everyone is in pain on both sides of the spectrum, both the victim's family and the driver him/herself.

Definitely called for! Maybe you misread peacemak3r, MHV9218 and Vistausss. Point: We dont need an up to the minute update and synopsis with visual google maps screenshot replay on the tragic incident like this is the halftime report at ESPN newsdesk. Prolly better to wait for the NYPD detectives to conclude the investigation first then we can talk about who is at fault (like it matters to me as this is a freak accident and I cant say who is at fault). Right? I would think so....

A T/O who hits somebody who jumped suffering from the image afterwards? That's a person I feel for -- honestly, suicide by subway is a very selfish action, but I won't get into that. A B/O who hits and kills somebody we don't even know was in the wrong while making a slow right turn? I'm inclined to feel worse for the family than the person who killed somebody. Even if this woman was jaywalking, which has not been proven, the punishment should not have been death and to make a comment like CT's first basically saying it is what it is, sorry for the op is crazy to me.

I'm not joining no one's side but to say you don't give a shit about the driver when you yourself don't even know the details of what happened is kinda messed up. For all we know, she probably stepped into the blind spot while s/he was making that right turn. An accident is an accident no matter how you look at it, be it someone 12-9'ing themselves, or someone getting hit by a bus

I'm not joining no one's side but to say you don't give a shit about the driver when you yourself don't even know the details of what happened is kinda messed up. For all we know, she probably stepped into the blind spot while s/he was making that right turn. An accident is an accident no matter how you look at it, be it someone 12-9'ing themselves, or someone getting hit by a bus

Assuming that the operator was totally not at fault, which is hard to believe, but I'll assume...I'd feel a little bad for the op, but compared to the family of that woman who got killed for no good reason? Doesn't even compare. 

And I have trouble believing that the op was totally innocent here. Right turns shouldn't be fatal...I could see somebody running out in high speed traffic, not a turn. 

Assuming that the operator was totally not at fault, which is hard to believe, but I'll assume...I'd feel a little bad for the op, but compared to the family of that woman who got killed for no good reason? Doesn't even compare.

And I have trouble believing that the op was totally innocent here. Right turns shouldn't be fatal...I could see somebody running out in high speed traffic, not a turn.

I'm not saying he's totally innocent. When making right turns with buses, you do run into some serious blind spots that you just can't see even with your mirrors. Making a right turn with a bus is totally different than making a right turn with a car. It's not like he intentionally ran her over, our just have a vendetta against all pedestrians, it's just ask unfortunate accident.

Look at that guy that got hit by an MCI a while back in queens. Driver didn't see him since he was in the blind spot and unfortunately he was killed. It's not the first time someone was hot by a bus and it sure won't be the last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived