NICE March 30th service changes?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if more people are moving to LI that don't own cars, why is ridership going down? 

Personally, I believe ridership on NICE is rather stagnant (due to the former riders now taking the LIRR more & those that are moving to the county utilizing the buses), but whatever.....

To comment on this question... You already touched on that - People, CURRENTLY are taking the LIRR more.

Since Nassau is increasing population, it needs more buses.

Yeah, So why bring up decreasing ridership (if the county needs more buses)?

e.g., You'd be a fool to go one of these hearings & bring up the fact that NICE needs more buses, and then argue decreasing ridership as a supporting point :lol:

...Oh trust me, I've already researched using LIRR intra-island & its quite do-able.

Unlike in the past, it's gotten pretty bad, and I mean it when I say I will be using the LIRR more. I already have. 

I consider the bus packed when it's over the standee limit on the side of the bus. As the former 5:55pm & 6:25pm carry 70-90% seated loads in the warm months, they will be packed now with only once an hour. Of course eventually ridership will drop & then there will only be a few standees. Heck they still haven't gotten the riders back that quit after the 4/12 changes. I dont ride the n6 for a reason...

Mmm Hmm... Just like you meant it when you claimed NICE was much better than LIB during its inception....

Then it eventually became, NICE sucks & you want the MTA to start running buses out in the county again.....

Then it was, NICE has some of the same problems LIB did & that Nassau county will forever be plagued with shitty bus service (paraphrasing), then you commenced with your mcmansion & soccer mom rant (basically, your diatribe spewing your envy for the rich)....

Now it's NICE sucks, and you're gonna be this LIRR commuter, not having anything to do with NICE....

I predict that you're gonna start bitching about problems on the LIRR more (and this is giving you the benefit of the doubt), and how ticket prices are too high, and you're gonna go back to riding NICE, and you're gonna be complaining in this section here about NICE the way you do now.... Rinse, wash, repeat....

You consider the bus jampacked when there's one standee on the bus, don't sit here & change your criteria now when it's been pointed out  how asinine what you consider to be jampacked is.... You expect, at any given point & time on any given NICE route to be able to not only grab a seat, but to have your choice of what seat you want... Ridiculous.... Lest we forget the times where you've shot video & you decided not to board a bus because the bus was too packed for your liking.... Look at the videos of these buses more often than not & there's less than a handful of standees on the damned things - with seats still available, to boot....  ROFL....

You say ridership will drop on those 2 n27 trips & how the number of standees will decrease to about a few... Sounds good for those that still want/need to utilize the route..... My question to you, Mr. increasingly using LIRR rider, is - Why would you care? You won't be on those particular trips anyway.... Now a smart person with that mindset that really felt that way, would be obliged with waning ridership, as it would give them a better chance to board said trips.... Not you though...

....because it's still a few standees too many.

Sorry, you're not gonna get n27's around that time carrying air (or anything close to it)....

You don't ride the n6 for a reason... Gee, there's a surprise to... No One!

The privtitization of nice and less money invested into the system kinda makes me think of http://www.history.com/topics/ancient-history/byzantine-empire

Anyways, well yes, it sucks, but Nassau will never have the type of bus service that is stellar (as previously mentioned). Some of the changes were uncalled for, I'll say that much.

Personally, I believe ridership on NICE is rather stagnant (due to the former riders now taking the LIRR more & those that are moving to the county utilizing the buses), but whatever.....

To comment on this question... You already touched on that - People, CURRENTLY are taking the LIRR more.

Yeah, So why bring up decreasing ridership (if the county needs more buses)?

e.g., You'd be a fool to go one of these hearings & bring up the fact that NICE needs more buses, and then argue decreasing ridership as a supporting point :lol:

Mmm Hmm... Just like you meant it when you claimed NICE was much better than LIB during its inception....

Then it eventually became, NICE sucks & you want the MTA to start running buses out in the county again.....

Then it was, NICE has some of the same problems LIB did & that Nassau county will forever be plagued with shitty bus service (paraphrasing), then you commenced with your mcmansion & soccer mom rant (basically, your diatribe spewing your envy for the rich)....

Now it's NICE sucks, and you're gonna be this LIRR commuter, not having anything to do with NICE....

I predict that you're gonna start bitching about problems on the LIRR more (and this is giving you the benefit of the doubt), and how ticket prices are too high, and you're gonna go back to riding NICE, and you're gonna be complaining in this section here about NICE the way you do now.... Rinse, wash, repeat....

You consider the bus jampacked when there's one standee on the bus, don't sit here & change your criteria now when it's been pointed out  how asinine what you consider to be jampacked is.... You expect, at any given point & time on any given NICE route to be able to not only grab a seat, but to have your choice of what seat you want... Ridiculous.... Lest we forget the times where you've shot video & you decided not to board a bus because the bus was too packed for your liking.... Look at the videos of these buses more often than not & there's less than a handful of standees on the damned things - with seats still available, to boot....  ROFL....

You say ridership will drop on those 2 n27 trips & how the number of standees will decrease to about a few... Sounds good for those that still want/need to utilize the route..... My question to you, Mr. increasingly using LIRR rider, is - Why would you care? You won't be on those particular trips anyway.... Now a smart person with that mindset that really felt that way, would be obliged with waning ridership, as it would give them a better chance to board said trips.... Not you though...

....because it's still a few standees too many.

Sorry, you're not gonna get n27's around that time carrying air (or anything close to it)....

You don't ride the n6 for a reason... Gee, there's a surprise to... No One!

The goal should be increasing ridership by improving service, but it seems at NICE, the goal is to continue a vicious cycle of service cuts which lead to reduced ridership, causing more service cuts. Now what they did with those n27 trips is child's play compared to what they did with the n1. The n6 is already jam packed, and now they are making n1 trips deadhead to/from Elmont in the reverse peak direction. So while more people will get flagged by the n6, an empty not in service bus will pass right by. If NICE is good at doing one thing, it's infuriating riders. And sadly it will be the bus operators that will get the grief, I could see more incidents like what happened on the n6x, esp passengers trying to fight their way onto not in service buses when they're stopped at traffic lights. Imagine a bunch of angry passengers gang assaulting a bus operator & dragging him out of the bus, it could happen. And as you already saw, no passengers by will come to their rescue. There won't be flagging on the n27, but some riders will decide not to wait longer & use the LIRR. Why mess with a route that gets decent numbers while having n14s 80/81's running around empty? And there will be more deadheads on the n27 I bet, they come into Glen Cove & head back empty while everyone waits longer for the next bus which will be more crowded. Don't you get it...riders are fed up with the crappy service with NICE, and they are choosing other options. That's not a good thing, unless you're Mangano & Co, his goal is to get ridership down so low we will end up with 50% of the service we originally had with the (MTA) anyways. Then he wont have to put any money in at all! Everyone loses except for Veolia & Mangano's cabbie pals. Riders now have to spend more on the LIRR or cabs, or get cars. Which is exactly what we need, more cars on the road. I already know a few NCC students that dug into their college savings to get cars, just to avoid having to deal with NICE Bus. And traffic around the college is worse than ever. So, once again, reduced service almost always means reduced ridership, and I have history on my side for that.

The goal should be increasing ridership by improving service, but it seems at NICE, the goal is to continue a vicious cycle of service cuts which lead to reduced ridership, causing more service cuts. Now what they did with those n27 trips is child's play compared to what they did with the n1. The n6 is already jam packed, and now they are making n1 trips deadhead to/from Elmont in the reverse peak direction. So while more people will get flagged by the n6, an empty not in service bus will pass right by. If NICE is good at doing one thing, it's infuriating riders. And sadly it will be the bus operators that will get the grief, I could see more incidents like what happened on the n6x, esp passengers trying to fight their way onto not in service buses when they're stopped at traffic lights. Imagine a bunch of angry passengers gang assaulting a bus operator & dragging him out of the bus, it could happen. And as you already saw, no passengers by will come to their rescue. There won't be flagging on the n27, but some riders will decide not to wait longer & use the LIRR. Why mess with a route that gets decent numbers while having n14s 80/81's running around empty? And there will be more deadheads on the n27 I bet, they come into Glen Cove & head back empty while everyone waits longer for the next bus which will be more crowded. Don't you get it...riders are fed up with the crappy service with NICE, and they are choosing other options. That's not a good thing, unless you're Mangano & Co, his goal is to get ridership down so low we will end up with 50% of the service we originally had with the (MTA) anyways. Then he wont have to put any money in at all! Everyone loses except for Veolia & Mangano's cabbie pals. Riders now have to spend more on the LIRR or cabs, or get cars. Which is exactly what we need, more cars on the road. I already know a few NCC students that dug into their college savings to get cars, just to avoid having to deal with NICE Bus. And traffic around the college is worse than ever. So, once again, reduced service almost always means reduced ridership, and I have history on my side for that.

Aren't there other ways to get to Jamaica from the n1? Many of the riders can simply transfer for the n4 at Merrick Road, or walk from Elmont Road to the County Line via Linden to Catch the Q4, or transfer to the Q5/Q85 at Green Acres Mall.

Aren't there other ways to get to Jamaica from the n1? Many of the riders can simply transfer for the n4 at Merrick Road, or walk from Elmont Road to the County Line via Linden to Catch the Q4, or transfer to the Q5/Q85 at Green Acres Mall.

n1 riders want direct access to/from Jamaica during rush hour because NICE Bus if faster since it's closed door policy. I don't think n1 riders will switch to Q4, Q5/Q85 buses because too many bus stops.

If NICE is good at doing one thing, it's infuriating riders. 

LOL, can't really disagree with that.

n1 riders want direct access to/from Jamaica during rush hour because NICE Bus if faster since it's closed door policy. I don't think n1 riders will switch to Q4, Q5/Q85 buses because too many bus stops.

Exactly.

Also, this is a reverse peak thing so:

-In the mornings riders will have to crowd up (even more) on the Hempstead bound n6 when the n1 was a relief to any stops west of and including Elmont Road. Riders also have to make sure they aren't flagged by a n6 and that the n6 isn't late enough to make them miss the N1 to Hewlett. 

-In the Evenings, riders will have to get off the n1 at Hempstead Turnpike, cross the street and wait for a crowded N6 to Jamaica. If they're going to the subway or Terminal the N6x should have room, otherwise they have to get on a packed N6 local. Riders west of Elmont Road can't be "saved" by the n1 now, they have to wait for a SRO bus and hope not to be flagged.

Now, if the n1 Jamaica rush hour service was completely eliminated you'd have some PISSED riders. 

My stance is that if you want to reduce service and fill the buses more, MAKE RIDERS MOVE BACK!

LOL, can't really disagree with that.

Exactly.

Also, this is a reverse peak thing so:

-In the mornings riders will have to crowd up (even more) on the Hempstead bound n6 when the n1 was a relief to any stops west of and including Elmont Road. Riders also have to make sure they aren't flagged by a n6 and that the n6 isn't late enough to make them miss the N1 to Hewlett. 

-In the Evenings, riders will have to get off the n1 at Hempstead Turnpike, cross the street and wait for a crowded N6 to Jamaica. If they're going to the subway or Terminal the N6x should have room, otherwise they have to get on a packed N6 local. Riders west of Elmont Road can't be "saved" by the n1 now, they have to wait for a SRO bus and hope not to be flagged.

Now, if the n1 Jamaica rush hour service was completely eliminated you'd have some PISSED riders. 

My stance is that if you want to reduce service and fill the buses more, MAKE RIDERS MOVE BACK!

Most n4 Locals are packed as well during rush hour.

If n1 Jamaica trips eliminated it will also crowd up n4/4X as well.

No no, we gotta worry about that one 7pm run on the n4 you want back. That's gonna fix everything...

I didn't say 19:00. I said 7am run that NICE cut that most n4 riders wanted back on Sunday from Jamaica Center and NICE reinstating 7:10 n4 Rockville Cetre Station to help out 7:30 n4 Freeport trip.

Most n4 Locals are packed as well during rush hour.

If n1 Jamaica trips eliminated it will also crowd up n4/4X as well.

I'm not so sure about that. The passengers going to/from Jamaica on the n1 on are usually getting on/off further north on Central Ave around Hendrickson Ave and up, Elmont Road and Hempstead Turnpike. They're not going to go down to the n4 unless they're already close to Merrick Road (in which case they already transfer to the n4, since it would be faster) and they plan to go all the way to Jamaica.

There are many riders that use existing n6 stops such as Springfield Blvd, Jamaica Ave and 212th Street, Jamaica Ave & Francis Lewis Blvd, Francis Lewis Blvd & Hillside Ave and 188th Street. Using the n4 is not going to help with that.

No no, we gotta worry about that one 7pm run on the n4 you want back. That's gonna fix everything...

I didn't say 19:00. I said 7am run that NICE cut that most n4 riders wanted back on Sunday from Jamaica Center and NICE reinstating 7:10 n4 Rockville Cetre Station to help out 7:30 n4 Freeport trip.

Yeah Brett, I think what's going on is that the N4 is on 30 min headways on sunday mornings and they removed a run which makes the 07:30 trip be PACKED. So they added a 07:10 trip to Rockville Centre to help out, especially since many riders are going to points Park Ave and west.

That's not the point. The point is we're trying to discuss something much bigger here than one trip on a route on a Sunday, and the fact that this guy just doesn't get it.

It may be one trip (on that particular route, but we know they've been snipping here and there), but if the changes they make inconvenience riders, make trips packed and makes people get flagged, then nice needs to stop the BS. They would be crazy to expect their rider satisfaction to increase.

If you're a rider that takes a bus at a certain time every day, and they cut it, and the bus before and after are PACKED and you get flagged often you'd be PISSED. It's called customer service. Make sure people can get on the bus and maybe your ridership wouldn't drop, encourage bus operators to not flag people, ESPECIALLY headways greater than 10 mins, ESPECIALLY when there is usually ROOM in the back.

People don't like crowded buses, but getting passed is worse (to me at least), adds fuel to the fire. When I get passed I'm like:  <_<, but if I see room on that bus, I'm like:  :angry:. And if the next bus flags me then I'm F'ING PISSED.

I had a shouting match with a driver one day. 2 buses went by on 12 min headway, each bus that passes allows more people to queue at the stop which makes the next driver not want to stop. The 3rd bus went a little passed the stop only to let people off and kept the front door closed, and so I stepped in the back door. The driver had the nerve to say I had to pay, well if you'd opened the door I would have gladly dipped my metrocard and walked to the back door or whatever to get to my destination. I was passed by TWO previous buses and I was NOT in a good mood.

NICE needs each cent they can get out of passengers. That kind of stuff seems so typical on the n6 though.

There were people crowded in the front (as usual). So I told him I'd dip my card as we got closer to the subway and more people got off, he didn't want to accept that answer. So I had people that were waiting at the stop with me (who were flagged by 3 buses!) hold the door while I went to the front and dip my card in.

This emotional rambling you got going on here addresses much of nothing I posed in my last reply to you.... Of course the goal of any transit system should be to increase ridership by improving service.... I get that there are changes that NICE has made, that weren't for the benefit of its riders... Nobody is saying it's somehow okay for riders to have to shell out extra money for the RR or for cabs.....

Reduced service leading to reduced ridership, is not such a great revelation to come upon, to sit up there & say "I have history on my side for that", as if anyone is doubting that... Lol.....

As it all pertains to you however, what can NICE (or anyone else) do right? You have a problem with just about EVERYTHING dude.... Nothing satisfies you.... You have to find something to rant & rave about, and this post here is a classic example of that..... What I'm getting at, is this nonsense you're implicating that you won't use NICE anymore & you're gonna use the LIRR from now on.... Which you & I know is utter bullshit.... You will be using NICE buses in some form or fashion again & you will be back on here complaining about NICE....

Shit, you just made a damn video on your YT channel about NICE for crying out loud.... Unbelievable, this guy.....

Why do you take him seriously?

To be fair, he does make good points, but he's too emotional & lacks logic a lot of times.....

There were people crowded in the front (as usual). So I told him I'd dip my card as we got closer to the subway and more people got off, he didn't want to accept that answer. So I had people that were waiting at the stop with me (who were flagged by 3 buses!) hold the door while I went to the front and dip my card in.

You pull that shit on my bus and i aint moving till you get your ass back off the bus.Do you really think the operators like running late with jam packed buses.I f i cant see out my door or see my mirrors no one else is boarding .Isnt bording a bus through the rear and not paying considered fare beating.And doesn't nypd issue desk appearance tickets for it.

You pull that shit on my bus and i aint moving till you get your ass back off the bus.Do you really think the operators like running late with jam packed buses.I f i cant see out my door or see my mirrors no one else is boarding .Isnt bording a bus through the rear and not paying considered fare beating.And doesn't nypd issue desk appearance tickets for it.

So , a few things:

1)If I was able to get on the bus then it wasn't all that "Jam Packed".

2) We were near the county line and the last people that would be boarding. (That's another reason operators should not be flagging the stop.)

3) Fare beating? If his ass opened the door from the start then I would have dipped my UNLIMITED metrocard without a problem. So it took me going in the back door for him to be like "you have to pay your fare". Stop playing games, people have places to go.

4)It was Nassau County, not NYC

side note: Just a few weeks ago a driver kindly stopped. I dipped my metrocard and asked if I could go through the back door, he said "sure". I went to the back AND GOT A  SEAT!! WTF!!

Yuki your wasting time talk directly with riders and study urban planning posts like these are lost here.

This emotional rambling you got going on here addresses much of nothing I posed in my last reply to you.... Of course the goal of any transit system should be to increase ridership by improving service.... I get that there are changes that NICE has made, that weren't for the benefit of its riders... Nobody is saying it's somehow okay for riders to have to shell out extra money for the RR or for cabs.....

Reduced service leading to reduced ridership, is not such a great revelation to come upon, to sit up there & say "I have history on my side for that", as if anyone is doubting that... Lol.....

As it all pertains to you however, what can NICE (or anyone else) do right? You have a problem with just about EVERYTHING dude.... Nothing satisfies you.... You have to find something to rant & rave about, and this post here is a classic example of that..... What I'm getting at, is this nonsense you're implicating that you won't use NICE anymore & you're gonna use the LIRR from now on.... Which you & I know is utter bullshit.... You will be using NICE buses in some form or fashion again & you will be back on here complaining about NICE....

Shit, you just made a damn video on your YT channel about NICE for crying out loud.... Unbelievable, this guy.....

To be fair, he does make good points, but he's too emotional & lacks logic a lot of times.....

There are much worse systems out there just try and get a bus in central NJ except the metropark loops most middlesex lines are so crappy they make NICE look world class. At least NICE is trying to communicate with their customers UNLIKE NJT!!!!

The privtitization of nice and less money invested into the system kinda makes me think of http://www.history.com/topics/ancient-history/byzantine-empire

There's nothing wrong with privatization. In fact, it *can* be a breath of fresh air. But not when you don't fund it right.

It's funny how there's still a fuss about the privatization. Meanwhile, LIB wouldn't have done any better. And don't quote me out of context. I'm speaking from a Mangano "save money" POV. For what he wanted to fund LIB for (only slightly more than NICE), service wouldn't have been any better. Maybe a bit better OTP, but no drastic needed improvements, that's for sure. I clearly remember a few of PinePower's vids from the months before LIB called it quits. Something with abysmal service while waiting in the rain, almost empty buses and stuff. You get what you pay for. LIB or not.

Either way: Mangano's clearly off his rocker, treating bus commuters like crap. He needs to step up the game and up NICE's funding.

There are much worse systems out there just try and get a bus in central NJ except the metropark loops most middlesex lines are so crappy they make NICE look world class. At least NICE is trying to communicate with their customers UNLIKE NJT!!!!

Yeah... Been there, done that....

This should be directed that at Pinepower, not me..... Guy acts like NICE is the worst transit system in the world or something....

There's nothing wrong with privatization. In fact, it *can* be a breath of fresh air. But not when you don't fund it right.

It's funny how there's still a fuss about the privatization. Meanwhile, LIB wouldn't have done any better. And don't quote me out of context. I'm speaking from a Mangano "save money" POV. For what he wanted to fund LIB for (only slightly more than NICE), service wouldn't have been any better. Maybe a bit better OTP, but no drastic needed improvements, that's for sure. I clearly remember a few of PinePower's vids from the months before LIB called it quits. Something with abysmal service while waiting in the rain, almost empty buses and stuff. You get what you pay for. LIB or not.

Either way: Mangano's clearly off his rocker, treating bus commuters like crap. He needs to step up the game and up NICE's funding.

You're right in that regard, it's Mangano (and Nassau County) that is to blame for this mess. They pretty much have contempt for the bus system.

You're right in that regard, it's Mangano (and Nassau County) that is to blame for this mess. They pretty much have contempt for the bus system.

look veolia is doing the best they can with the little they got I already gave a suggestion to reshape the weakest lines and you shot it down now shut it.

You probably can't see the rear platform of a low-level bus with your mirrors very well especially if the front is full. But potential passengers outside sure can and you can bet they won't be happy to hear that you aren't letting them board despite some standing room available back there.

Be careful with the tit-for-tat escalation games. (You may not see it like that, but there will be others observing your actions who will see it that way even if they're personally disgusted with the actions of the passenger in question as well). 

I'm sure you've already noticed this (and probably more than I do since you deal with a larger cross-section of the public than I do in my field of work), but there are more people than ever before with nothing left to lose or have one last thing left to lose. This isn't the mid-90's or mid-2000's anymore. 

You pull that off on the wrong person (or group of persons) and you might end up moving after all... though not necessarily in your bus. In the heat of the moment, that pissed off (group of) passenger(s) is quite satisfied delivering the comeuppance to the idiot driver who just painted a huge target on himself. The hell with everything else. You also can't count on other passengers coming to your aid before the police do either, especially if they also see you as the jerk who played a key role in starting the confrontation and escalating the problem.

I genuinely hope that you'll never have to put your armchair quarterbacking to the practical test where you work.

You probably can't see the rear platform of a low-level bus with your mirrors very well especially if the front is full. But potential passengers outside sure can and you can bet they won't be happy to hear that you aren't letting them board despite some standing room available back there.

Exactly.

Not sure how they got their numbers, but NICE updated their reasoning for the service changes. Can't see how they came to their conclusion on the n1.

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/March-30th-Service-Change.aspx

After analyzing our n1 ridership closely, we realized that the bulk of our passengers use this route for travel exclusively within Nassau County…and that on many trips, ridership drops off significantly between Jamaica and Elmont Road.  As a result, we have adjusted our schedule to reflect this usage.

While we have not changed our n1 peak rush hour trips, we have adjusted 6 reverse peak trips in the am that started in Jamaica….and 10 reverse peak westbound trips in the pm from Elmont Road into Jamaica.  Full n1 north-south service on Elmont Road will remain.   Please note that passengers can catch either the n6 local or the n6Xpress in Jamaica or Elmont road to continue on with their trip.  We offer a 3 legged transfer, so riders can transfer from the MTA to the n6 and to the n1 without incurring another fare.

N27 and n23.
We have responded to both our operators’ and passengers’ requests to simplify routing, by making adjustments to these two routes.  Additionally these changes should help with on time performance as well as transfer issues. As a result, the n23 will return to its historic route and only offer service from Mineola to Mannorhaven.   For connections to or from Hempstead, please transfer to the n40/41 at Mineola, which offers frequent service.

The n27 will almost always depart from or end at Hempstead Terminal instead of Roosevelt Field now.  This new routing will include stops at 60 Chas Lindbergh, as well as provide a one seat ride between Hempstead and Glen Cove, 7 days a week.

Archived