Skimming device found at 59th st Columbus Circle Station

Abba

I know it's a big scam going around the whole system, but somehow, given the huge differences in location, I doubt it was put there by the same scammer who put the one up at the Baldwin station. But just great how next time when I gotta go buy an LIRR ticket, I gotta look out for this crap. I swear, if I find a skimming device, I'm reporting it to the (MTA) and expecting a reward.

It would not be unreasonable to expect that many of these cases might be linked.  The four Romanians who planted skimmers and cameras at Bayside, Great Neck, Merillon Avenue, Greenvale, and Sea Cliff back in October also planted some devices on a machine in Chappaqua, so their reach is not necessarily localized.

This is crazy... You have to be uber vigilant these days... I have used that stations' MVM's from time to time, but only specific ones where there is a lot of traffic and a station agent nearby.  I do plan on taking further precautions going forward, one of them being to allow additional time for me to inspect the machine before using it.  Most folks just run to the machine and are in a hurry and don't look for anything out of the norm, but it's wise to refill when you are not in a hurry, this way, if you suspect something, you can consider using another machine or another location entirely.  I may even switch to cash and just get them in a store, as much as I hate that idea since that means having to stop at an ATM, but so be it.

Cash is king.... never leave home without it

It is but it can be inconvenient.  Most New Yorkers don't walk around with tons of cash because it's foolish to do so, and generally safer to use your credit card or charge card for large purchases being that if something fraudulent occurs, the bank can reimburse you.

Cover the pin pad with your hand when you enter your zip code or pin...I also have started taking an extra few seconds to examine MVM's before I use them after all these stories

Yeah, I was thinking about that this morning and I'm going to start doing it.  I usually don't worry too much because I shield myself if someone is using a machine next to me or try to go to machine where there is no one around.  The thing is though, if you use Metro-North or the LIRR and need tickets, the MVM's have the touch screens whereby you enter your zip code on the screen...  Not so easy to cover that compared to the small keypad for the Metrocard.  Not sure why they did it like that either... Anywho, of course I walked right into my bank this morning once I got off of the express bus and proceeded to input my personal info without a care in the world. lol There was no one else in the ATM but still.  We take so many simple things for granted these days like deposits or withdrawals or other simple transactions.

Cover the pin pad with your hand when you enter your zip code or pin...I also have started taking an extra few seconds to examine MVM's before I use them after all these stories

People shouldn't have to do that. Then again, if the (MTA) didn't switch from tokens to MetroCards, we wouldn't have this problem.

Absolutely, and especially now with many machines still using Windows XP or earlier now that Microsoft has ended support for XP.

What? They are still using Win XP or even Win 98? OMG. Thats incredible, they really need to upgrade those machines already.

Archived