MTA to Allow Free Transfers Btwn G & J/M Lines During Greenpoint Tube Closure

Harry

Is this transfer going to be "free" like the aboveground one from the (F) to the (6) in Manhattan? I put that in quotes because there is no three-legged transfer when I take the (Q46) to the (F) and then walk to the (6) which really pisses me off since the announcement says there is a free transfer. I've complained to the (MTA) about that a few times but nothing is ever done.  

Is this transfer going to be "free" like the aboveground one from the (F) to the (6) in Manhattan? I put that in quotes because there is no three-legged transfer when I take the (Q46) to the (F) and then walk to the (6) which really pisses me off since the announcement says there is a free transfer. I've complained to the (MTA) about that a few times but nothing is ever done.  

After doing that transfer once, I'm surprised people use it. You'd save a heck of a lot more time just transferring to an (E), as opposed to going all the way to street level from Lex-63rd, walking, and then goin in at 59th.

One could look at a subway map and come to that conclusion but the reality is very different. Years ago ( 1965-) no one would attempt that transfer, especially after dark, unless they were (A) ,high, (B) ,packin', or (C) ,5-0. Most NYCT employees in uniform would refuse to travel between the Junius St (3) station and the Livonia (L) station even if their job duties required it. Transit supervisors and the union agreed that it was too dangerous. I personally witnessed Sliwa's Guardian Angels debate whether to leave my (3) and make that transfer to the (L). Eight Angels said " no way" to that. The problem has always been the "no man's land" bridge over the Bay Ridge Branch tracks that one must navigate between the two stations. There was literally no protection from the elements or the evildoers on that overpass. Maybe if the (MTA) could come up with an enclosed, staffed, connection that might work. An unstaffed connection, even with cameras, is a waste, IMO. Perhaps things have changed in that area, I'm not sure.The other thing to look at is how many people would utilize that transfer daily, especially am rush hour riders heading toward downtown Brooklyn or lower Manhattan. I'm not sure but it's possible that an (L) rider would be better served by staying on their train to Broadway-ENY for the (A) or (C) depending on the running times. YMMV.  Carry on.

I know curtis and you are right on this one.

After doing that transfer once, I'm surprised people use it. You'd save a heck of a lot more time just transferring to an (E), as opposed to going all the way to street level from Lex-63rd, walking, and then goin in at 59th.

I've had to use it when the (E)'s are having delays or suspensions or whatnot, which happens far too often. 

I hope that this will become permanent.

It shouldn't. I think that unpopular transfers should become paid transfers with just the passageway. And if there was a permanent transfer, then the  (MTA) would lose a lot of money. Many people actually use that transfer between the  (G) and the  (J)  (M) .

It shouldn't. I think that unpopular transfers should become paid transfers with just the passageway. And if there was a permanent transfer, then the  (MTA) would lose a lot of money. Many people actually use that transfer between the  (G) and the  (J)  (M) .

There was a (G) train study done recently that discusses this transfer.  The MTA would lose about $170K a year if this transfer was permanent.  That being said, shouldn't the demand itself be enough to make it permanent?

Archived