MTA to Allow Free Transfers Btwn G & J/M Lines During Greenpoint Tube Closure

Harry

post-5097-0-96368600-1400071087_thumb.jpg
THE MTA WILL create a rare option for subway riders this summer — a free, above-ground transfer between stations in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, the Daily News has learned. Riders will be able to switch from (G) trains at the Broadway station to (J) or (M) trains at the Lorimer St. station. The freebie, which will require riders to exit the system and walk a few blocks, will be in effect while the Metropolitan Transportation Authority closes the (G) train’s Greenpoint Tube under Newtown Creek for five weeks, starting July 26, to repair damage from Superstorm Sandy.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-96368600-1400071087_thumb.jpg

Interesting. I'm defintley taking advantage of this. I think a lot of other riders should  take advantage too. Because that three-legged transer between the (G) , (A) or (C) & the (J) can be a complicated sometimes. Especailly taking the same way back & waiting for the (G) at Hoyt for years...

The purpose of what, the transfer or the work itself? The addition of the free transfer at Broadway/Lorimer St will provide an alternate link between the G and M, two lines that will lose that connection when the G is truncated to Nassau Av. The work itself is part of the ongoing Fix and Fortify maintenance.

The transfer is free. No way in hell they will keep it once Greenpoint reopens.

Who knows what the MTA will do after this.  The push for this walking transfer has been going on for years now, and it helps (G) riders get to some choice stations off of the (J) and the (M).

The transfer is free. No way in hell they will keep it once Greenpoint reopens.

I know they won't do it but I think they should do this. It gives G riders more options if you don't have an unlimited metrocard and don't want to pay an extra fare.

Absolutely.  That transfer (3) to the (L) should have been done YEARS ago!!

One could look at a subway map and come to that conclusion but the reality is very different. Years ago ( 1965-) no one would attempt that transfer, especially after dark, unless they were (A) ,high, (B) ,packin', or (C) ,5-0. Most NYCT employees in uniform would refuse to travel between the Junius St (3) station and the Livonia (L) station even if their job duties required it. Transit supervisors and the union agreed that it was too dangerous. I personally witnessed Sliwa's Guardian Angels debate whether to leave my (3) and make that transfer to the (L). Eight Angels said " no way" to that. The problem has always been the "no man's land" bridge over the Bay Ridge Branch tracks that one must navigate between the two stations. There was literally no protection from the elements or the evildoers on that overpass. Maybe if the (MTA) could come up with an enclosed, staffed, connection that might work. An unstaffed connection, even with cameras, is a waste, IMO. Perhaps things have changed in that area, I'm not sure.The other thing to look at is how many people would utilize that transfer daily, especially am rush hour riders heading toward downtown Brooklyn or lower Manhattan. I'm not sure but it's possible that an (L) rider would be better served by staying on their train to Broadway-ENY for the (A) or (C) depending on the running times. YMMV.  Carry on.

Yeah, the (3) and (L) are almost empty in the reverse peak direction (as they stop and leave their respective station in the aforementioned area). Most East New York and Brownsville residents transfer to the (4) at Utica (depending on where exactly they're going). Happens everyday. I agree, the transfer between the (3) and (L) at Junius/Livonia would be a waste.

Yeah, the (3) and (L) are almost empty in the reverse peak direction (as they stop and leave their respective station in the aforementioned area). Most East New York and Brownsville residents transfer to the (4) at Utica (depending on where exactly they're going). Happens everyday. I agree, the transfer between the (3) and (L) at Junius/Livonia would be a waste.

It wouldn't be a waste

One could look at a subway map and come to that conclusion but the reality is very different. Years ago ( 1965-) no one would attempt that transfer, especially after dark, unless they were (A) ,high, (B) ,packin', or (C) ,5-0. Most NYCT employees in uniform would refuse to travel between the Junius St (3) station and the Livonia (L) station even if their job duties required it. Transit supervisors and the union agreed that it was too dangerous. I personally witnessed Sliwa's Guardian Angels debate whether to leave my (3) and make that transfer to the (L). Eight Angels said " no way" to that. The problem has always been the "no man's land" bridge over the Bay Ridge Branch tracks that one must navigate between the two stations. There was literally no protection from the elements or the evildoers on that overpass. Maybe if the (MTA) could come up with an enclosed, staffed, connection that might work. An unstaffed connection, even with cameras, is a waste, IMO. Perhaps things have changed in that area, I'm not sure.The other thing to look at is how many people would utilize that transfer daily, especially am rush hour riders heading toward downtown Brooklyn or lower Manhattan. I'm not sure but it's possible that an (L) rider would be better served by staying on their train to Broadway-ENY for the (A) or (C) depending on the running times. YMMV.  Carry on.

I used to travel through that area every day back in 1983-'84 on the way to Canarsie, and I remember how bad that area was then.  That said, with even that area beginning to gentrify some, it may be time to revisit this.

I used to travel through that area every day back in 1983-'84 on the way to Canarsie, and I remember how bad that area was then. That said, with even that area beginning to gentrify some, it may be time to revisit this.

I dont know what area you think this now, but its nowhere near gentrification...

Archived