Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowblock says 207 Street can maintain the 160s.

When I had the discussion with Snow block we were referring to 207 storing the trains not actually servicing/maintaining them the barn has to be upgraded in order to maintain the HVAC'S which are located on the top of the 160s

207th is only going to clean the R160s that's it, they are not doing anything to them at all, they will be sent back to ENY, ENY can and will maintain the R32s, they did a great job with the 1st set that's in service now

Edited by R32 3838

The R32s on the (C) are not being replaced by R160s from the (J). It's an exchange since the (C) and (J) would have to give up some of their respective fleets due to East New York's R160s going through their SMS or CBTC upgrade thing.

I called this first back on http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/page-132?do=findComment&comment=682832 Page 132 and you downvoted me, and now you're saying the exact same thing!?!?

I called this first back on http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/page-132?do=findComment&comment=682832 Page 132 and you downvoted me, and now you're saying the exact same thing!?!?

For god's sake, I downvoted that post because I disagreed with your prediction about swapping all R32s to the (J) and all R160A-1s from the (J) to the (C). At that time, I was disappointed that the (A)(C) car swap isn't gonna happen. Geez!

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Guest Lance

I called this first back on http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/page-132?do=findComment&comment=682832 Page 132 and you downvoted me, and now you're saying the exact same thing!?!?

You have to understand, this isn't the first time someone's said the A-1s would run on the C-line. It's just the first time they've been right, so the skepticism is understandable.

For god's sake, I downvoted that post because I disagreed with your prediction about swapping all R32s to the (J) and all R160A-1s from the (J) to the (C). At that time, I was disappointed that the (A)(C) car swap isn't gonna happen. Geez!

Ummm it might happen, if this swap works, then they will do it and you guys need to give up on the A/C swap, those days are over

Edited by R32 3838

You have to understand, this isn't the first time someone's said the A-1s would run on the C-line. It's just the first time they've been right, so the skepticism is understandable.

However, previously it was just uninformed foamers spouting off rubbish to get attention. This time it's a transit employee who knows what they're talking about.

Yeah, I don't make up fantasies on here, if I'm predicting something, it's based on actual discussion with management, not just "wouldn't it be cool if they did THIS?"

Anyway, I can tell you with certainty that the (A) is never going to see the R32's again. They have been specifically banned from that line, as well as any other line which runs with 10 cars, due to the lack of proper controls in the B-cab for conductors, As far as I know, the R160's HAVE been approved for the Rockaways again, but don't get your hopes up because only 5 car sets would run on that line.

Yeah, I don't make up fantasies on here, if I'm predicting something, it's based on actual discussion with management, not just "wouldn't it be cool if they did THIS?"

Anyway, I can tell you with certainty that the (A) is never going to see the R32's again. They have been specifically banned from that line, as well as any other line which runs with 10 cars, due to the lack of proper controls in the B-cab for conductors, As far as I know, the R160's HAVE been approved for the Rockaways again, but don't get your hopes up because only 5 car sets would run on that line.

Looks like I got lucky last year when I rode the R32s on the (A)Thanks for the information.

I doubt it that they're banned because very once in a while when an R46s craps out they'll throw a 32 on the (A) for a trip, but I know there's a supervisor that doesn't want an R32 on the (A) at all, this R32 for R160 swap makes better sense and I've brought this up numerous times, but if the temperature goes up past 100 degrees they'll send more R160s to the (C), they wouldn't do 144 car swap, the (J) riders will bicth that all their R160s were taken ( (J) & (Z) uses 112 R160s for service) this would put the ta in a tight spot, 5 sets is good enough for both lines

Looks like I got lucky last year when I rode the R32s on the (A)Thanks for the information.

Me too. I just never had footage but as long as I experienced it and enjoyed it, I'm satisfied.

I did gotten several R32 (A) rides as well and two RFWs (one southbound from 207th to Fulton and another northbound from Euclid to 125th). Damn, I should've rail-fanned them on the (A) during the time I was off from school due to regents week last year. I guess what matters it that I rode them on my all time favorite line and at least gotten two RFWs.

Anyway, I can tell you with certainty that the (A) is never going to see the R32's again. They have been specifically banned from that line, as well as any other line which runs with 10 cars, due to the lack of proper controls in the B-cab for conductors,

WTF are you talking about? Where did you hear that?

I don't know how the B-cabs of the R32s could possibly lack the proper controls for operation on ten-car routes, but I've been around long enough to know that the (MTA) is not always consistent in its decision-making, which is why the past five years have seen a whirlwind of car transfers and split-second actions such as retiring the R44s in place of their older brethren.  I normally wouldn't dispute the word of a TA employee, but another TA employee has just called the prediction into doubt.  Besides, I once knew an operator who claimed that the R42s were going to the (D), so yeah. 

Edited by R10 1989

I did gotten several R32 (A) rides as well and two RFWs (one southbound from 207th to Fulton and another northbound from Euclid to 125th). Damn, I should've rail-fanned them on the (A) during the time I was off from school due to regents week last year. I guess what matters it that I rode them on my all time favorite line and at least gotten two RFWs.

I took many rides on R32s and man those were good rides, especially out to the Rockaways. I also had two rides on the R42s. 

How do the B cabs of the R-32s lack the proper controls? How are those controls not sufficient? 

They have the same door controls as the A cabs do. He's never operated from the B end. I broke my ass on that (A) last year with the 32 equipment going to the rocks LOCAL both ways in that B cab as many conductors from the past 100 years have. The only thing that it doesn't have that the A cabs have is a seat and an air pressure gauge.

Edited by Dan05979

Damn.  I can understand the B cab lacking a pressure gauge, but the lack of a seat is just harsh.  It's bad enough as it is from what I've heard.

When the R-10's were around, conductors operated the doors from between cars all the way from Rock Park to Bedford park or Rock Park to 179 Street LOCAL both ways, so its been alot worse.