Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

most of the time it is an issue, but some of the crews don't realize that they sign up the (Z) signs backwards sometimes, thus confusing more passengers, this morning the (Z) had about 3-4 R160's on it

Yeah, I've seen it too back in the summers of 2013 and 2014. Occasionally during the off-peak, like maybe 2-3 trains are all signed up as a (Z), or the side signs are backwards or upside down.

This really shouldn't confuse the off-peak riders though, since the skip-stop is not in place during the off-peak. I mean the only difference between the (J) and (Z) is the stations they skip during rush hours. Otherwise, they're the same exact thing.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better maintenance at Pikin Yard vs Jamaica? Also a lot of the (A) line 46s are layed up overnight. The (A) line cars get inspected more often cause of the high mileage of the route, considering these factors its totally believable Pikin's 46s are in better shape.

And TA employees on these message boards have said that Pikin's 46s were better.

Yeah but you have R46s that are also from 207 st yard and they don't inspect their trains good either look at some of the R32s on the (C) that screech their way into stations

Yeah but you have R46s that are also from 207 st yard and they don't inspect their trains good either look at some of the R32s on the (C) that screech their way into stations

You act as if these things are all something new. That happens with just about every other car type from time to time. Once again, the (A) is the system's longest line and one of the only lines that run 24/7. Of course it's gonna have problems no matter what cars it uses. Not every train gets repaired and inspected. Each and every car type is assigned to one shop for maintaince and inspection. However, some other trains are stored in the yard for rest. Not every train is dealt with. It's universal.

Nothing to worry about though.

Edited by RollOver

You act as if these things are all something new. That happens with just about every other car type from time to time. Once again, the (A) is the system's longest line and one of the only lines that run 24/7. Of course it's gonna have problems no matter what cars it uses. Not every train gets repaired and inspected. Each and every car type is assigned to one shop for maintaince and inspection. However, some other trains are stored in the yard for rest. Not every train is dealt with. It's universal.

I mean if you wanna get technical, all but 3 lines run 24/7

I know it's Going to have problems no matter what it uses same for every other line I'm just saying you might as well use equipment that is less likely to breakdown and cause delays for the (A), now back to topic this is the last summer you might ever see an R32 on the (A) because of this swap

I know it's Going to have problems no matter what it uses same for every other line I'm just saying you might as well use equipment that is less likely to breakdown and cause delays for the (A), now back to topic this is the last summer you might ever see an R32 on the (A) because of this swap

Breakdowns of a car type (old or new whatever) is not the only thing.

Edited by RollOver

Just got off an R32 (J) train with a dead motor once I got off they took it out of service and said it was going back to the Yard It's Probably Going To Transfer Back To The (C) for a while

Why do you think that? Doesn't ENY do the maintenance on the R32s on the (J) at this point?

Why do you think that? Doesn't ENY do the maintenance on the R32s on the (J) at this point?

Well yeah but it's not exactly summer yet yesterday night I saw an R32 being transferred back to Pitkin yard for the (C) so they are basically going back in forth

Well yeah but it's not exactly summer yet yesterday night I saw an R32 being transferred back to Pitkin yard for the (C) so they are basically going back in forth

Where did you see this set? I agree with S78, it's more likely you saw a (C) train deadheading than a back and forth in car assignments.

ENY maintains the R32's

BTW another R160 was transferred last nightBtw there's an R32 running on the (A) right now

Wow, they still have that lone R32 set on the (A)? About like 2 days ago, I saw an 8-car R32 train at the ENY yard and half of the train's side rollsigns said (A) with the north rollsigns displaying 207 Street, Manhattan and the south rollsigns displaying Lefferts Blvd, Queens.

Btw, it seems to me that there are more than half of the remaining 28 eight-car R32 trains on the (J). I wonder when will Joe Korner update the car assignment roster to show the permanent changes.

Where did you see this set? I agree with S78, it's more likely you saw a (C) train deadheading than a back and forth in car assignments.

I saw it at Euclid ave being transferred on the express track the sign said (J) it was going into Pitkin yard to run on the (C) during morning rush