MTA Explores 'Bus Rapid Transit' to Reduce Commutes Q53/Q52

nuyorican

lol... Leave it to the (MTA) to boast about nothing.... SBS in my mind is still just a glorified limited stop bus with off board payment... I use the M15SBS and while wait times aren't bad on weekends, buses can still bunch.  The positive is that I can track the bus while shopping in Whole Foods.  That's really what speeds up my trip because then I can decide to walk or time it so that I get on the bus with a small amount of wait time.

lol... Leave it to the (MTA) to boast about nothing.... SBS in my mind is still just a glorified limited stop bus with off board payment... I use the M15SBS and while wait times aren't bad on weekends, buses can still bunch.  The positive is that I can track the bus while shopping in Whole Foods.  That's really what speeds up my trip because then I can decide to walk or time it so that I get on the bus with a small amount of wait time.

Supposedly, they want to pull out the red carpet for the 52/53: median bus lanes (easier to enforce/less reason to violate), median stops (reduce crossing distance on Woodhaven), yadda yadda yadda.

Supposedly, they also wanted to do this for every other SBS route we've ever had, and look at what we've got.

If nothing is done about the current situation north of Queens Blvd, then buses will still be bunching and everything.

Supposedly, they want to pull out the red carpet for the 52/53: median bus lanes (easier to enforce/less reason to violate), median stops (reduce crossing distance on Woodhaven), yadda yadda yadda.

Supposedly, they also wanted to do this for every other SBS route we've ever had, and look at what we've got.

The only stop where this would be a problem would be at Atlantic Avenue, but other than that, I think it's somewhat feasible. As I've said before, if median lanes are used, they should let the QM15, QM16, QM17, and BM5 utilize those lanes.

If nothing is done about the current situation north of Queens Blvd, then buses will still be bunching and everything.

The only stop where this would be a problem would be at Atlantic Avenue, but other than that, I think it's somewhat feasible. As I've said before, if median lanes are used, they should let the QM15, QM16, QM17, and BM5 utilize those lanes.

That's also if they make it stop there. They've done some bold moves to make service faster. I wouldn't be surprised if it skips Atlantic.

from the article

So what's the next big thing for bus riders?

It's called Bus Rapid Transit. And supporters say it's just like riding the train.

"It is really like the reliability and comfort and dignity of a train experience for the cost of implementing bus service,” said Elena Conte of the Pratt Center for Community Development.

But you won't find it here in New York, at least not yet.

Lmao.... No, not, not yet... Not EVER!!

Not even if congestion pricing were to occur in this city, would BRT pan out for the better here......

from the article

As for Select Bus Service, officials say it's been a hit.

"To be able to say that along these SBS routes, we've seen a decrease in travel times of 20 percent while seeing an increase in ridership of about 10 percent says a lot about the success of Select Bus Service,” said MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz.

A decrease in travel times I'll give him (which is mainly due to off board payment... not also in conjunction with buses just zooming/flying/zipping/(insert appropriate adjective here) along the route - buses still have to contend with current traffic on the roads, which... is a little something that the MTA there conveniently leaves out whenever they talk about SBS)....

I'm not buying SBS caused an increased in ridership, just on the strength of it being SBS.... Ridership would have (and was, IINM) increased/increasing on lines like the cross bronx subway (aka the Bx12), the B44, and the M15 regardless.... The latter route, wait 'til SAS hits, then we'll see how much ridership increases on the M15 SBS :lol:

lol... Leave it to the (MTA) to boast about nothing.... SBS in my mind is still just a glorified limited stop bus with off board payment...

Came to that conclusion from day one...

Vintage B35 via Church post on Straphangers, back in 2009

Why do you think I dub SBS as being the MTA's "baby".... They'll continue to boast about this bit of *nothing* because it is the future of bus service in this freakin city.... There's supposed to be 2 more SBS routes coming out next year, according to this.....

LMAO..... You can't take away 1 lane of traffic for SBS buses on a road that only allows for 1 lane of moving traffic (which describes the entire Q53 routing north of Queens Blvd).....  You're absolutely right....

BRT by itself wouldn't do the MTA any good. Unless the traffic lights are actually coordinated with the system. Does Not seem feasible to do this in any of the boroughs. 

Pitt's "Busways" are TRUE BRT....We're talking about buses only highways with stations that allow for buses to reach speeds of up to 70 MPH. They make up for for the lack of rail service there, I guess because of all the hills

Miami has a nice BRT system, it would take major constrution to build it along Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevard....MTA should consider Reactivating the LIRR Rockaway Line between Rego Park and Aqueduct /JFK Airport the Subway Option would divert the M or R subway line east of 63rd Drive (via an already built connection) to the northern section of the Rockaway line then out to rockaway

Miami has a nice BRT system, it would take major constrution to build it along Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevard....MTA should consider Reactivating the LIRR Rockaway Line between Rego Park and Aqueduct /JFK Airport the Subway Option would divert the M or R subway line east of 63rd Drive (via an already built connection) to the northern section of the Rockaway line then out to rockaway

It's a very long term aspiration for the MTA, but after what happened to the plans they came up with in 1968, they would rather not advocate for any specific plans til the State or City put their money where their mouths are.

One point I would bring up is that this type of BRT line involves a lot of investment and requires purchasing Buses that can only be used on this specific line given the center median/single platform. The MTA has supposedly shied away from light rail because it would require equipment not compatible with the rest of the system. This is creating that with buses with doors on the left side. Many times during subway shuttle service they pull artics (and sbs dedicated artics) that aren't in use to run the shuttle. It's not possible with this type of bus. If it's dual side doors that really cuts down on seating. I can't see how this is financially a smart move for the MTA.

One point I would bring up is that this type of BRT line involves a lot of investment and requires purchasing Buses that can only be used on this specific line given the center median/single platform. The MTA has supposedly shied away from light rail because it would require equipment not compatible with the rest of the system. This is creating that with buses with doors on the left side. Many times during subway shuttle service they pull artics (and sbs dedicated artics) that aren't in use to run the shuttle. It's not possible with this type of bus. If it's dual side doors that really cuts down on seating. I can't see how this is financially a smart move for the MTA.

That's not necessarily true. The mockups the MTA has done of median bus lines in the past involve opposing platforms on opposite sides of the intersection, so that the buses will all still use right-hand doors.

Example:

WebsterMedianLanes.jpg

That's not necessarily true. The mockups the MTA has done of median bus lines in the past involve opposing platforms on opposite sides of the intersection, so that the buses will all still use right-hand doors.

Example:

WebsterMedianLanes.jpg

That's not what the mock ups and renderings are for this project according to the link in the OP posted.  The Platforms are in the center between the buses traveling in opposit directions and that is what my comment refers to.

Archived