2014 NFL thread

Q43LTD

Eli Manning.... FIVE interceptions today.... and are only down by 6 points???

Although the giants defense are actually keeping them in this game in this 4th quarter, they had a chance to take the lead on a 3rd & 4 inside the 10... after 3 straight incomplete fade routes (bechkam jr, randle, donnell), eli throws a ball that was tipped, leading to INT # 5.....

Same shit continues to plague this damn team - No real red zone threat... Haven't had one since Plax, which is f*ckin embarrassing.

With that said, what does this say about the 49ers.... I mean for this week, yeah, it's looking like a win, but Kaepernick has definitely been knocked back down to earth this season....

---------

I'll add one more thing.... All this talk about the Jets & how much they suck, but I get the feeling that the Jets might end up w/ a better record than the Giants..... I'll LMAO if that happens.

Something tells me that Ryan and Coughlin will get fired...it's embarrassing 

• 2 weeks later...

Those Harvard genes...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11963313&ex_cid=espnFB

Fitzpatrick scored a 1580/1600 on the SAT. His son must have inherited his intelligence genes. I scored a 1510/1600 on my SAT (730 math, 780 reading) and there is no way in hell I can do 97 x 93 in my head without making a mistake.

Those Harvard genes...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11963313&ex_cid=espnFB

Fitzpatrick scored a 1580/1600 on the SAT. His son must have inherited his intelligence genes. I scored a 1510/1600 on my SAT (730 math, 780 reading) and there is no way in hell I can do 97 x 93 in my head without making a mistake.

The SAT and other standardized tests aren't indicators of intelligence at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the season has come to an end for the Giants and Jets. Is anyone really surprised that Rex Ryan was kicked to the curb? Tom Coughlin stays on with the Giants for another year. Is there any hope for either of these teams in the next few years? I think that the Giants might compete if they can get Victor Cruz back at 100% to go along with Beckham, Jr but the cornerstone of the Giants has to be the defense. The J-E-T-S, on the other hand, need help on offense, defense, special teams, and the front office. When I see the names on the team's roster these last few years I can see why they've become the laughingstock of the NFL. QBs Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Geno Smith, Michael Vick. In my opinion only Vick was experienced enough to be called a real QB. Sanchez was babied and shown the door while the other two were never mentioned when people talked about "real" QBs. IMO the only "star" player the Rex Ryan Jets ever had was Revis and the front office and Revis were mortal enemies from what I saw. Looking back on this year it seems the biggest stories about the NFL happened off the field. Ray"KO"Rice, Adrian Peterson, domestic abuse cases,RG3's benching, the SF-Harbaugh circus. Where was the "feel good" storyline this year? I honestly don't recall one, unless you're a Dallas Cowboy fan I guess. My Steelers squeezed in but it looks like the same ol' Patriots, Broncos, Packers, Seahawk storyline for another postseason. Don't get me wrong 'cause I like Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson and their teams (hate the "Boys) but at my advanced age I'd like to see something new every once in a while. When I was really into sports CBS pushed the Dallas Cowboys every week with that "America's team" garbage even though that team couldn't beat my Steelers when it counted. I'm at the age now where there's almost nothing an announcer on CBS,FOX, or ESPN can tell me. You know the " Tom Brady" or "Michael Jordan" is the greatest because we say so, never mind that I've seen Montana, Young, Bradshaw, or Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar exceed anything these guys, Brady, Manning, or MJ have accomplished. Maybe someone new will come to the forefront this NFL postseason. I hope so. My opinion. Carry on.

The Jets are a bit of an iffy proposition. Once they cut some dead weight, they'll be $60 million under the cap. Their draft position also gives them a possibility of drafting Jameis Winston. Whatever new GM that comes in and takes over will have the ability to sign whoever he/she wants to whatever contract because the Jets literally have no salary committed past 2016. With a good coach, good draft and good FA signings, the Jets could actually be a respectable team next year, but it's too difficult to project.

The Giants need to hit another home run in the 2015 draft.  The 2013 draft provided three starters (the selection of Nassib was stupid as hell). The 2014 draft provided four immediate impact players. The Giants need to do just as well, or even better in the 2015 draft. Jerry Reese needs to stop his trend of taking high risk players and take immediate contributors instead.. The Giants also have a pretty significant amount of cap space (although much less than the Jets), and good FA signings (and hopefully new damn trainers because this team can't even make it out of Week 2 without a crippling injury) could easily catapult the GMen back to the NFC East Race. They need offensive linemen, a pass rusher, run stuffing LB and a safety, so they're plenty still plenty of holes. It's difficult to tell with both NY teams.

Geno Smith been smelling himself.... He thought he was gonna sit there & torch the league with all these 500+ yard passing games like he was doing out there in West Virginia... It's not just a victim of the system situation with this guy, it is his personality on top of it.... This is the same person that arrogantly parted his lips before the draft to say he's going to be in the first round.... Go on some of those college football discussion forums & you will see posts from plenty others on how arrogant he is....

Anyway, I remember laughing my f****** ass off when he slipped all the way into the 2nd round.... Laughed even harder when the media circus that is known here in New York City as the N.Y. Jets drafted him..... Perfect place for him to have ended up AFAIC.....

As far as Jameis Winston, I haven't watched one game of his, so I don't know his ability.... I might watch the Oregon/FSU game tonight; good chance FSU is gonna get torched, since they are horrendous at stopping the run (Oregon lives & dies with exceptional team speed; that's how they're built... even their ground game)..... Gut feeling tells me Jameis won't be near as bad as this clown Geno is.... I don't see Geno succeeding elsewhere (some other team)....

I'm no Rex Ryan fan (he's too much of a player's coach; tries too hard to defend the indefensible - including Geno himself going to the movies, instead of being at a team meeting), but when Geno threw him (Ryan) under the bus after he got fired, I said look at this ingrate - He was a reason you still have a JOB in the NFL.....

TM5, nah, Jets fans are going nowhere.... Too many of them are just as delusional as Jets management; it's like they've adopted the ways of the NY Jets as a franchise, into their fanaticism of their team.... It's not like the Mets for example, where those fans started getting fed up towards the middle to end of this past season with the amount of BS product/no names they were throwing onto the field..... Thin line between loyalty & delusion.....

As far as this dude Idzik.... They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

When you have someone that's as frugal (and stupid) enough to wash their hands of (FWIW) the real reason people talked about what the Jets did on the field in a positive light... well... It spoke for itself.... He got praise for doing what he did with the Seahawks, but let's be real here - The Seahawks front office wasn't as incompetent as the Jets front office....

Woody Johnson firing Idzik & Rex to me is nothing more than yet another attempt to grab headlines.... I expect no real change in the result of next season's year end for this team; save for what, one or two games in either direction (win/lose)..... That's the M.O. - he cares more about getting butts in the seats & retaining ANY type of buzz about his "product" on some media whore shit, than he does about winning (the latter part is where he & Jerry Jones (Dallas) differs).... THIS is the problem of the Jets as a franchise - It's ownership.

I'm just waiting to see who the Jets end up filling their GM & head coaching positions to.....

edit:

....and wtf at Roethlisberger & the steeler offense in that 4th quarter last night....  3 straight turnovers on the last 3 drives to end the game... Pathetic.... How you let the 2014 Ravens defense expose you, is embarrassing.

I didn't know he was THAT reliant on Antonio Brown in the passing game this year... Worse than how Eli Manning was w/ Cruz last season....

I'm just waiting to see who the Jets end up filling their GM & head coaching positions to.....

edit:

....and wtf at Roethlisberger & the steeler offense in that 4th quarter last night....  3 straight turnovers on the last 3 drives to end the game... Pathetic.... How you let the 2014 Ravens defense expose you, is embarrassing.

I didn't know he was THAT reliant on Antonio Brown in the passing game this year... Worse than how Eli Manning was w/ Cruz last season....

Thank you for posting exactly what I was thinking about the Jets.....and about that 4th quarter meltdown by the Steelers. I think your earlier post alluding to putting butts in the seats, instead of good teams, is the mantra of many NFL, MLB, and NBA teams lately. I used to enjoy watching sports purely for the competiition but now the cynic in me focuses on the business side ,too.

The Packers are going to the NFC Championship game.

While the Cowboys didn't exactly get jobbed by that Dez Bryant play, I am sick of the NFL changing rules so damn often....

They fell victim to the so-called calvin johnson rule back in '09/10 , where a catch is ruled incomplete if the ground causes the ball to become free.. In other words, no part of the football can touch the ground - even if you have possession....

Here's the play that took place earlier w/ Dez:

dez.0.gif

In close up view:

(will illustrate why it's not a [completed] catch)

dez2.0.gif

This is why I believe in the law of averages..... The Lions should have been in this game, and I think w/ their interior defense, they could have beaten the Packers w/ a hobbled Rodgers..... The Cowboys had chances to finish them off in the 3rd, but in typical Romo fashion, they couldn't get the job done...

Oh well....

Well championships are over and we got our two teams Super Bowl ready...Seahawks from the NFC, and the Patriots from the AFC.

Didn't see the Seahawks game but I heard they won in OT. Patriots game was a total shutout against the Colts with them losing 45-7.

Thought the Seahawks would end up winning that game, but not like that.... Didn't think it would've taken OT, but Wilson throwing 4 picks & still managing to win is something else... Packers pass defense got swiss cheese soft in the latter stages of that 4th quarter & all of overtime

The Patriots I picked to win that game in an absolute blowout... I only watched the first half & at no point did I ever believe the colts had a shot; even when they made it 14-7 before the pats kicked a FG to make it 17-7 at the half.... I wake up & see the final score of 45 to damn 7 & laughed my ass off.... And I hate the pats too....

I don't have a dog in the fight in this superbowl matchup, but I'd pick the patriots to win, mainly because I don't see how Seattle's gonna stop Grownkowski.....

Archived