LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

New to using forum's so please bear with me. I was curious does anyone know if the LIRR gives second chances when going for the locomotive engineer trainee position?

Frame of reference made it all the way to S&D 

Test was in February 2020, failed sadly

Applied to the most recent posting #100128 but did not hear anything

Mentioned that I failed S&D but have been studying ever since and started a better a job when I re applied 

In my saved applications I passed pre screening three previous times but seem to have heard no update on the recent application. 

Also it mentions that Locomotive Engineer Trainee position #96013 has not been filled. #94926 and #93100 have

Any thoughts?

Happy Holidays and New Year to all!

15 hours ago, Beachbum247 said:

Hi All,

New to using forum's so please bear with me. I was curious does anyone know if the LIRR gives second chances when going for the locomotive engineer trainee position?

Mentioned that I failed S&D but have been studying ever since and started a better a job when I re applied 

In my saved applications I passed pre screening three previous times but seem to have heard no update on the recent application. 

Also it mentions that Locomotive Engineer Trainee position #96013 has not been filled. #94926 and #93100 have

Any thoughts?

What do you think the hardest part was?

How many questions?

100 questions

Three parts (3Hr time limit) 

60 Signals (Cant make a single mistake) 

20 Indications  (Parts 2&3 you can get by with 20%)

20 Definitions  (Try not to make mistakes just incase) 

Very important you are only aloud to take one part at a time, once you turn it in no going back. 

Hardest for me was honestly nerves. I let my mind get to me and panicked, that's no way to take test. 

Just breathe and relax

(Study, Study, Study)  Read, Write, Speak, Flash Cards, Record and listen on you're phone, 

Bear in mind things may have changed they should go over the structure of the test with you.

Good luck! 

Cheers 

9 hours ago, Beachbum247 said:

100 questions

Three parts (3Hr time limit) 

60 Signals (Cant make a single mistake) 

20 Indications  (Parts 2&3 you can get by with 20%)

20 Definitions  (Try not to make mistakes just incase) 

Very important you are only aloud to take one part at a time, once you turn it in no going back. 

Hardest for me was honestly nerves. I let my mind get to me and panicked, that's no way to take test. 

Just breathe and relax

(Study, Study, Study)  Read, Write, Speak, Flash Cards, Record and listen on you're phone, 

Bear in mind things may have changed they should go over the structure of the test with you.

Good luck! 

Cheers 

Yeah I have my signals overview this upcoming week and then they will give me the 5 weeks to study. Nervous as heck haha.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:21 PM, highercallingNY said:

Its a once in a lifetime opportunity for me so hopefully  I can make it.

Only thing that threw me off at first was the unpaid training.

Most companies do paid training.

You get paid the 60 hours after completing the program in its entirety 

On 12/30/2021 at 9:59 PM, Beachbum247 said:

Hi All,

Any thoughts?

I always heard you have to wait a year from the date you took the test to reapply. But I never heard of anyone getting a second try. Especially if you make into the program and fail out the program. Your chances to work as an engineer at other railroads are shut down. All that information goes to the FRA. Kind of blacklisted to work as an engineer. Conductor it’s possible. Different position same craft. 

12 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

I always heard you have to wait a year from the date you took the test to reapply. But I never heard of anyone getting a second try. Especially if you make into the program and fail out the program. Your chances to work as an engineer at other railroads are shut down. All that information goes to the FRA. Kind of blacklisted to work as an engineer. Conductor it’s possible. Different position same craft. 

Just for clarity "making into the program", are you considering everything before phase1? 

Its interesting you say that regarding the FRA, I was concerned that this mishap would close me out of other avenues within the industry. Would you believe it the New York & Atlantic made me an offer and Norfolk Southern made me an offer.

Both conductors however New York & Atlantic makes their conductors become Locomotive Engineers within a short time or they lose their job. They had a 2 year contract commitment that made me uneasy. Most job's with the MTA or even Amtrak take better care of you

Norfolk Southern something just did not feel right when I was doing my homework if you know what I mean

2 hours ago, Beachbum247 said:

Just for clarity "making into the program", are you considering everything before phase1? 

Its interesting you say that regarding the FRA, I was concerned that this mishap would close me out of other avenues within the industry. Would you believe it the New York & Atlantic made me an offer and Norfolk Southern made me an offer.

Both conductors however New York & Atlantic makes their conductors become Locomotive Engineers within a short time or they lose their job. They had a 2 year contract commitment that made me uneasy. Most job's with the MTA or even Amtrak take better care of you

Norfolk Southern something just did not feel right when I was doing my homework if you know what I mean

I mean as in getting into phase 2. You only 1 chance to retake the test if you fail any of the exams. You fail again your done. To become a NYAR Engr. You still have to qualify on LIRR exams. Rules and psychical characteristics. Not sure if it’s intense like our exams.
As for blocking avenues. This is what I’ve heard since I’ve got hired. Like I said earlier I’m not sure how true it is for other railroads. But I don’t think they have taken anyone that’s fails before. That’s just from my experience here. 
We’re about to be 2 years without a contract. For some reason that’s the pattern that’s been set. It’s been 2 year contracts since I’ve been hired.

I had a friend who got hired at CSX as a conductor. Went through the whole training for 2 months. Just to get laid off a month later due to down sizing. Now he just got hired at Amtrak as a conductor 

Edited by drenyce311

7 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

I mean as in getting into phase 2. You only 1 chance to retake the test if you fail any of the exams. You fail again your done. To become a NYAR Engr. You still have to qualify on LIRR exams. Rules and psychical characteristics. Not sure if it’s intense like our exams.
As for blocking avenues. This is what I’ve heard since I’ve got hired. Like I said earlier I’m not sure how true it is for other railroads. But I don’t think they have taken anyone that’s fails before. That’s just from my experience here. 
We’re about to be 2 years without a contract. For some reason that’s the pattern that’s been set. It’s been 2 year contracts since I’ve been hired.

I had a friend who got hired at CSX as a conductor. Went through the whole training for 2 months. Just to get laid off a month later due to down sizing. Now he just got hired at Amtrak as a conductor 

Yes that I understood regarding Phase 2, NYAR mentioned qualifying on all LIRR material. To you're point they did not mention how intense, just that obviously you have to pass and work with LIRR personnel.  I appreciate all the thoughts, I truly have heard both sides. Try again they might take you, they probably wont take you but try again for another position, etc.  Either way if it works out or not, seems silly not to keep trying. 

Jeez that's got to be annoying,  every two years back and forth negotiating. 

On 12/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, drenyce311 said:

Good luck. It is A LOT of information to study. 

Hey man i was reading this thread from the beginning and seen that you moved along pretty well in the hiring process, how did you fare out with the job? 

4 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

I got the S&D overview invite a few days before xmas so the date overview is on the 8th and the exam is Feb 12th. Seems like theyre moving fast because the guy that interviewed me said dont expect to hear anything until feb-march  

7 years later I’m still here lol. It’s been good. Can’t complain. 

On 1/1/2022 at 9:55 PM, drenyce311 said:

7 years later I’m still here lol. It’s been good. Can’t complain. 

Wow bro that’s awesome! That $45/hr must be beautiful lol. Check in every now and then because we can deff use your insight as somebody thats been in for so long. I used to be a conductor for MTA so imma deff need advice on the job itself 

18 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

Wow bro that’s awesome! That $45/hr must be beautiful lol. Check in every now and then because we can deff use your insight as somebody thats been in for so long. I used to be a conductor for MTA so imma deff need advice on the job itself 

The job has its moments. It’s like ground hog day everyday. Sometimes it gets boring. But then you think about all the work you put in to be an engineer. The crews make up the day. Especially if you own a regular job. I’m the extra list. I prefer variety. Other than that life is good. Can’t complain. Anytime you need input. Just DM me 

Alright guys overview done, it was everything that yall said it would be lol. So for part 1 of the test we need an absolute 100% or we get sent home and cant even take the second part. If you make it to part 2 youll need atleast 80% to pass

They’re saying the higher your score, the sooner you get called but at the same time one instructor did say theyll be moving “full steam ahead” because of the backup that covid caused so the process may move a bit faster than normal. I suggest you guys form study groups because the definitions aspect is alot. 

19 minutes ago, Sixgvd94 said:

Alright guys overview done, it was everything that yall said it would be lol. So for part 1 of the test we need an absolute 100% or we get sent home and cant even take the second part. If you make it to part 2 youll need atleast 80% to pass

They’re saying the higher your score, the sooner you get called but at the same time one instructor did say theyll be moving “full steam ahead” because of the backup that covid caused so the process may move a bit faster than normal. I suggest you guys form study groups because the definitions aspect is alot. 

Oh wow. Things must’ve changed. Usually they hand you the second part as soon as you hand in the signals. They don’t tell you if you pass or fail. You’ll get a phone call or email if you passed. Nothing if you fail. Good luck. 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:31 PM, drenyce311 said:

I remember when I handed mines in and he was grading them as you finish. He looked at mines and went over it. He looked at it and said “this guys making it in” while in doing the definitions. 

Since you’re such a perfect example man, how did you do it? I mean granted we have 5 weeks to study but this is still alot to take in to be able to remember it all word for word

by the way the lady that facilitated our overview got in around the same time as you her name is lauren if that rings a bell at all 

Edited by Sixgvd94

2 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

Since you’re such a perfect example man, how did you do it? I mean granted we have 5 weeks to study but this is still alot to take in to be able to remember it all word for word

by the way the lady that facilitated our overview got in around the same time as you her name is lauren if that rings a bell at all 

We had 4 weeks to study. I studied day and night. Tried to find similarities with the wording to make it easier to remember. Write, recite, repeat. All day and night. Even at my previous job. I would be at my desk writing or typing them out. Made flash cards for the signals. Woke up and studied before work, at work, come home and study some more. Also met up with a few guys from the overview. They didn’t make it. Yea Lauren is 1 year ahead of me. 

10 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

We had 4 weeks to study. I studied day and night. Tried to find similarities with the wording to make it easier to remember. Write, recite, repeat. All day and night. Even at my previous job. I would be at my desk writing or typing them out. Made flash cards for the signals. Woke up and studied before work, at work, come home and study some more. Also met up with a few guys from the overview. They didn’t make it. Yea Lauren is 1 year ahead of me. 

How many of the people who took it with you failed? Im nervous about making it. I mean we got 5 weeks and I took a small leave from work to put in the time to study so all I HAVE is this to focus on but im nervous I really want to make it.

1 hour ago, highercallingNY said:

How many of the people who took it with you failed? Im nervous about making it. I mean we got 5 weeks and I took a small leave from work to put in the time to study so all I HAVE is this to focus on but im nervous I really want to make it.

I think 32 invited for the overview. test day only 20 people showed up. only 6 passed. Those 6 were in my phase 1 class. 12 for phase 1. All from different overviews.