LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the the open house on 11/12/19; had my signal test on the 02/08/20, PASSED! Then the pandemic cuz a delay until an interview was scheduled on the 08/18/21. Had a Zoom interview, nothing special, just some typical job interview questions. Was told not to expect any news until 2022. Just received a letter in the mail saying "Thank you for applying". Disappointed, but, life goes on with or w/o the pandemic. I was offered an pilot opportunity with United. LIRR is great! I would love to work with LIRR as an engineer! But, not the chosen one. Good luck to you all! Wish you guys the best luck!

On 1/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, drenyce311 said:

We had 4 weeks to study. I studied day and night. Tried to find similarities with the wording to make it easier to remember. Write, recite, repeat. All day and night. Even at my previous job. I would be at my desk writing or typing them out. Made flash cards for the signals. Woke up and studied before work, at work, come home and study some more. Also met up with a few guys from the overview. They didn’t make it. Yea Lauren is 1 year ahead of me. 

Hey man its really funny how you mentioned finding similarities because once you really analyze the signals there are alot of ways you can remember whats what by identifying whats similar. Ive literally built my whole studying strategy around that but the extra definitions still trip me up 

3 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

Hey man its really funny how you mentioned finding similarities because once you really analyze the signals there are alot of ways you can remember whats what by identifying whats similar. Ive literally built my whole studying strategy around that but the extra definitions still trip me up 

Keep at it. Repetition is key. Read write recite. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

I am currently a train operator with nyct department of subways. Was wondering if anyone had any idea when the next hiring would be or application phase not sure what you call it. I know lirr doesn’t do an open competitive exam like the subway. But have always wanted to be on the lirr subway just came first. As I mentioned experienced train operator already with the mta clean record is there anyway to promote from within?

9 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Hi all, 

I am currently a train operator with nyct department of subways. Was wondering if anyone had any idea when the next hiring would be or application phase not sure what you call it. I know lirr doesn’t do an open competitive exam like the subway. But have always wanted to be on the lirr subway just came first. As I mentioned experienced train operator already with the mta clean record is there anyway to promote from within?

Hey DJF. The application for locomotive engineer is up. Other positions as well. There is no promotion since subway is a city job not a state job. You would’ve to apply and hopefully get called for an orientation. One of my classmates came from NYCT. hope this helps. 

50 minutes ago, 2ride said:

Do any of you guys know if it’s a bad idea to withdraw an application submitted for an LIRR position and then reapply for it again on the mta careers website?

It depends how long ago you submitted the application. If it up again I would apply again. Just keep trying. Good luck 

18 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

It depends how long ago you submitted the application. If it up again I would apply again. Just keep trying. Good luck 

I just applied yesterday. I want to withdraw it because I revised some stuff in my cover letter. I just needed to know if it’s safe to do this because I don’t want my candidacy to be affected by it.

Edited by 2ride

1 minute ago, 2ride said:

I just applied yesterday. I want to withdraw it because I revised some stuff in my cover letter. I just needed to know if it’s safe to do this because I don’t want my candidacy to be affected in any way. 

I think you can reupload a new resume and stuff until the posting closes. Don’t quote me that 

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

Hey DJF. The application for locomotive engineer is up. Other positions as well. There is no promotion since subway is a city job not a state job. You would’ve to apply and hopefully get called for an orientation. One of my classmates came from NYCT. hope this helps. 

Where would I find the application for this? Thanks for the help 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 6:33 PM, Stay On Track Kev said:

does anyone that previously passed the locomotive engineer trainee S&D exam have any tips on how to memorize the signals?

Flash cards were what I used for subway train operator we had about 170 to memorize I’d try and get 3-5 a day sometimes more if they were short ones and I’d put them in my pile and keep going over all of them so they all stayed fresh 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 3:32 PM, Justwanted said:

Hello I'm taking the S&D test next week. I'm 99% sure that the instructor at the overview said that punctuation was not important. Does anyone remember if it is or not?

Punctuation is not a requirement.  Although it helped me with learning the longer definitions.  

On 4/4/2022 at 6:33 PM, Stay On Track Kev said:

does anyone that previously passed the locomotive engineer trainee S&D exam have any tips on how to memorize the signals?

Flash cards were a a great way to learn and practice the signals.  Easy to carry around.  I would begin with a set and as I got comfortable with it, I would add more to the set.  Practice the set multiple times in a day. Mix them up.  Once you have learned all of them, do not put them down.  At least once a day you want to go through the signals.  Have someone test you.  That breaks up the monotony.  Signals are critical in all steps of testing.  One wrong is an automatic failure.  Never put down the signals.  Indications are important as well along with definitions but more flexible in terms of grading.  

I have a question and was hoping somebody could help. At the end of the first interview (at the Recruitment Event), the interviewer told me that the background investigation would take place and if clear, I would be invited to the S&D Overview. Is that correct? Was anybody else told this?

From what I can tell from searching this forum, the background investigation is done sometime around the 2nd interview / before Phase 1, which is conflicting with that I was told.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

31 minutes ago, JJJ156 said:

I have a question and was hoping somebody could help. At the end of the first interview (at the Recruitment Event), the interviewer told me that the background investigation would take place and if clear, I would be invited to the S&D Overview. Is that correct? Was anybody else told this?

From what I can tell from searching this forum, the background investigation is done sometime around the 2nd interview / before Phase 1, which is conflicting with that I was told.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

The process has changed. I’ve seen some of the guys on here have said that it’s the background check first before S&D.

Edited by drenyce311

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I just took the S & D exam on May 7, 2022. The grading process for the S & D exam is a little bit different now. It’s broken up into two parts/sections, first the signal exam, then the definitions. You must past the signals with a 100 in order to take the indications/definitions part. If you fail the signals, you will be sent home and will not have the chance to do the second part of the exam. I pass the first part (signals) but I have to wait to get my final grade through email. How long does it normally take to get your passing confirmation? It’s only been 3 -4 days and I’ve been checking my email non-stop. Lol

Edited by Liline11

13 hours ago, Liline11 said:

Hello everyone, I just took the S & D exam on May 7, 2022. The grading process for the S & D exam is a little bit different now. It’s broken up into two parts/sections, first the signal exam, then the definitions. You must past the signals with a 100 in order to take the indications/definitions part. If you fail the signals, you will be sent home and will not have the chance to do the second part of the exam. I pass the first part (signals) but I have to wait to get my final grade through email. How long does it normally take to get your passing confirmation? It’s only been 3 -4 days and I’ve been checking my email non-stop. Lol

They won’t notify you until they are ready to move to the next process.  They build up a class first and then contact all that have been selected.  I know of a class that will be starting soon, if it hasn’t already, and they usually wait about 13 weeks before starting a new one.  Don’t hold me to that because they go at how they feel necessary. 

• 1 month later...