LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

They talked about it in the loco engineer overview. Said it was gonna be 14 long months of training. You'll be in the classroom and out in the field but once you get past those first 2 years, you're pretty much cruising to retirement. Loco engineers get 3 pensions: MTA pension, union pension and railroad retirement which is crazy. The dude said the hardest part of your job after learning everything would be showing up to work. haha

Wow they can retire rich

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

They talked about it in the loco engineer overview. Said it was gonna be 14 long months of training. You'll be in the classroom and out in the field but once you get past those first 2 years, you're pretty much cruising to retirement. Loco engineers get 3 pensions: MTA pension, union pension and railroad retirement which is crazy. The dude said the hardest part of your job after learning everything would be showing up to work. haha

The program is 14 months. After phase 1. You’re in class for about another 6-8 weeks. Then it’s off the trains. But you do meet up 1 every two months and a few days every quarterly. You will be tested during each class visit on EVERYTHING. And yes the hardest part is showing up. 

4 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Anyone from the September or October overview heard anything yet?

Dunno why they can’t just send out emails saying we didn’t get picked to move forward if we really didn’t get picked. It seems they want to keep us waiting and thinking whether we made it to next overview or not. On the other hand, only 1 person has told me they do send out emails.

Edited by 2ride

44 minutes ago, Trains248 said:

My mistake, meant to say I haven’t heard anything back from the last open house. 

The most messed up thing they could ever do is not inform us if we’re skipped. It makes the situation look so complex and upsetting.

1 hour ago, misslo said:

I got the email yesterday I am not sure i'll go. if it is from what i remember 4 yrs ago when they let you take some random test to decide if they'll let you move forward or not. My heart cant take another disappointment.

Yup that’s the one hurry up and wait for a reply smh 

1 hour ago, misslo said:

I got the email yesterday I am not sure i'll go. if it is from what i remember 4 yrs ago when they let you take some random test to decide if they'll let you move forward or not. My heart cant take another disappointment.

I got a call today from HR informing I have not been selected to move forward with the process after open house. But they told me I could reapply again within a year. I wish I could’ve scored higher sometimes. On the bright side, I have an interview with Metro North coming up next week for custodian driver. Hopefully that’ll open doors for me to become a conductor or engineer inside that agency instead.

39 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I got a call today from HR informing I have not been selected to move forward with the process after open house. But they told me I could reapply again within a year. I wish I could’ve scored higher sometimes. On the bright side, I have an interview with Metro North coming up next week for custodian driver. Hopefully that’ll open doors for me to become a conductor or engineer inside that agency instead.

So they actually called, Damn that sucks but at least you can stop wondering good luck with mnrr.

50 minutes ago, 2ride said:

Sorry to hear the bad news. Metro north Engineer posting is up again. 

19 minutes ago, Djf22 said:

So they actually called, Damn that sucks but at least you can stop wondering good luck with mnrr.

9 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Sorry to hear the bad news. Metro north Engineer posting is up again. 

Conductor thread for some reason isn’t that active on here, so I posted it in the engineer thread instead. 

Hi everyone, I received the email for the open house event coming up this week. I’m optimistic and started reading some of the definitions provided on Quizlet. But from what I read, I shouldn’t trust these definitions as they can change overtime?

I’m eager and excited to see what happens on Wednesday! Good luck to everyone!

12 hours ago, NH90 said:

Hi everyone, I received the email for the open house event coming up this week. I’m optimistic and started reading some of the definitions provided on Quizlet. But from what I read, I shouldn’t trust these definitions as they can change overtime?

I’m eager and excited to see what happens on Wednesday! Good luck to everyone!

I took an open house test for conductor. They present to you a vocabulary exam, cognitive exam, and a math exam on that day. Pass the first 2 and you’ll be able to take the math. Don’t pass the first 2, you will be removed from the program and not get to take the math. When you pass all 3, you’ll be doing a checklist interview with one of the employees. Pass the interview and the exams, you’ll get notified either you are moved forward to next steps or not. Again, this is just for conductor, engineers might or might not have the same format to follow for open house. Good luck!!

11 hours ago, 2ride said:

I took an open house test for conductor. They present to you a vocabulary exam, cognitive exam, and a math exam on that day. Pass the first 2 and you’ll be able to take the math. Don’t pass the first 2, you will be removed from the program and not get to take the math. When you pass all 3, you’ll be doing a checklist interview with one of the employees. Pass the interview and the exams, you’ll get notified either you are moved forward to next steps or not. Again, this is just for conductor, engineers might or might not have the same format to follow for open house. Good luck!!

Ok thank you for the info! I got invited for the Locomotive Engineer open house. I’ll give it a go. Got nothing to lose!