LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

On 9/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, J3737 said:

I’m in the same position. Best advice is just apply to any and all jobs you are at least close to qualified for according to the posting. I’ve been with NYCT for a year and a half and have like 60 applications since then. Been on a couple interviews but never any luck. I got called for a recruiting event for this position (Locomotive Engineer) at the end of September so hoping my luck will change, and yours too!

@J3737 Awesome thank you and well appreciated for that advice. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, yungfeenxm23 said:

@J3737 Awesome thank you and well appreciated for that advice. 

To have people go through the whole process and put hours and hours of studying into passing the verbatim exam just to not get hired after the second interview is ridiculously a waste of time. Idk if HR understands that this is an issue. 

Edited by 2ride

1 hour ago, 2ride said:

To have people go through the whole process and put hours and hours of studying into passing the verbatim exam just to not get hired after the second interview is ridiculously a waste of time. Idk if HR understands that this is an issue. 

I’m sorry if you were passed over.  I cannot speak for HR as to why, but if you aren’t sure don’t give up just yet they could still come around.  The S&D is just the beginning of the hours you need to study to get all the information.   It’s a vetting process from start to finish and if you struggled with S&D the likelihood of you making it through the program is that much less likely cause it’s only the beginning and a small sample of what you actually need to know.  So let’s say you did make it pass the interview, you need to be ready mentally for what’s to come cause it’s no walk in the park afterwards.  And the S&D is a test to that fortitude and dedication along with the actual knowledge.  

3 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

I’m sorry if you were passed over.  I cannot speak for HR as to why, but if you aren’t sure don’t give up just yet they could still come around.  The S&D is just the beginning of the hours you need to study to get all the information.   It’s a vetting process from start to finish and if you struggled with S&D the likelihood of you making it through the program is that much less likely cause it’s only the beginning and a small sample of what you actually need to know.  So let’s say you did make it pass the interview, you need to be ready mentally for what’s to come cause it’s no walk in the park afterwards.  And the S&D is a test to that fortitude and dedication along with the actual knowledge.  

I’m talking about the second interview that you have to do with HR after you pass the verbatim exam. To make it that far and get rejected for the job offer is a complete waste of time. That means we did all that work and followed the process for nothing.

Edited by 2ride

58 minutes ago, Trains248 said:

Hey what’s up everyone, new to the forum. I wanted to know, is there anyone in here that went to open house at the end of September ? And if so did you hear anything back about the s & d overview ? Thanks !

I went to the same one. I haven’t heard anything either.

47 minutes ago, Trains248 said:

Okay nice! Did you do the interview as well after the tests that day?

I went in for conductor on open house day and got a brief interview after I took all of my exams. Be ready for them if you haven’t attended open house yet 

9 hours ago, Trains248 said:

Hey what’s up everyone, new to the forum. I wanted to know, is there anyone in here that went to open house at the end of September ? And if so did you hear anything back about the s & d overview ? Thanks !

Just keep your fingers crossed. There’s a new posting now so it usually takes a few open houses to make a few classes. 

Edited by drenyce311

1 minute ago, drenyce311 said:

Hey what’s up man. If you didn’t scroll up. The recent S&D that took place in September. No one passed. Not to be confused with the open house invitation 

The open house  (9/28 Babylon) I went to and I’m sure Trains247 went to was after that S&D test occurred. So we’re presumably waiting for the next round of S&D

35 minutes ago, Def said:

The open house  (9/28 Babylon) I went to and I’m sure Trains247 went to was after that S&D test occurred. So we’re presumably waiting for the next round of S&D

Do you think they’ll send us denial letters if we aren’t invited for S&D overview? 

Edited by 2ride

On 10/19/2022 at 11:02 AM, Trains248 said:

I was there too. I passed everything at the open house but still waiting. Same as the others, I’ll post it here if I’m the first to hear anything. I think I can speak for everyone here in the MTA already that everything takes a loooong time. But good luck to everyone!

6 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Hey everyone just curious what to expect at the open house?

Be prepared for a long winded test. Not really one you can prepare for. Things like vocabulary, flow charts, etc. There’s a small interview after as well. As long as you go into it with confidence you should be fine

27 minutes ago, NYYankee said:

Good evening all. About the second phase of the lirr locomotive engineer training program, they say it's a minimum of 14 months.  But I also heard that you go at your own pace. Is this true?

Did they send this email to conductors as well or only engineer applicants?

3 hours ago, NYYankee said:

Good evening all. About the second phase of the lirr locomotive engineer training program, they say it's a minimum of 14 months.  But I also heard that you go at your own pace. Is this true?

It’s 14 months long and it’s structured with time frames.  The conductors have a little more flexibility to go at their own pace but are expected to qualify around the 3yr mark.  

As for engineer training, you are given the material and how you learn it is up to you.  But they will monitor your progress and get on your ass if they think you aren’t keeping up with everything.  It can feel like boot camp at times but it’s worth it.  

42 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

It’s 14 months long and it’s structured with time frames.  The conductors have a little more flexibility to go at their own pace but are expected to qualify around the 3yr mark.  

As for engineer training, you are given the material and how you learn it is up to you.  But they will monitor your progress and get on your ass if they think you aren’t keeping up with everything.  It can feel like boot camp at times but it’s worth it.  

Is he just announcing this with knowledge or it actually came into his email today?

10 hours ago, 2ride said:

Did they send this email to conductors as well or only engineer applicants?

They talked about it in the loco engineer overview. Said it was gonna be 14 long months of training. You'll be in the classroom and out in the field but once you get past those first 2 years, you're pretty much cruising to retirement. Loco engineers get 3 pensions: MTA pension, union pension and railroad retirement which is crazy. The dude said the hardest part of your job after learning everything would be showing up to work. haha