Trying to get my Dad a job in the Subway as a MotorMan or conductor - any ideas?

Javier

First of all, have you and your father looked at http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/greenlight_future.pdf? Depending on his college degrees and his work experience, NYC Transit needs people in other titles too. If you're still interested, then go to http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/ and click on "Job Postings" at the top, followed by "Agree" on the next page to see what's currently open for filing.

As far as a Train Operator or Conductor, they usually give the exam every 4 years. If you look at http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/13097-conductor-exam-8094/ and http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/31046-train-operator-exam-8098-dcas-notice-of-result-letter-arrived/, from the last time I briefly looked at these threads, they are not even 1/2 way through the list, and these exams were given in December of 2008 (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf) and June of 2009 (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf) respectively.

Therefore, I hate to break the bad news, but I hope this helps as far as getting your father a Conductor or Train Operator position.

Your dad will have to wait a very long time for the next exam. They are still hiring from the last train operator exam 8098 back in year 2009 and the conductor exam 8094 back in year 2008.

I agree....there are "positions" open for the Department of Subways, they just hire people off of a list which is a result of a lot of people taking a Civil Service examination...refer to my last two links for more information.

Just like with the Track Worker position, which is in the Department of Subways...there will be positions open, however they will hire people who took the 3600 exam, in which the list got released about a month ago...

Just like with the Department of Buses...there are "positions" open for Bus Operator once the temporary hiring freeze is over, however they are hiring people who successfully took and passed the B/O 2613 exam. They just don't hire someone off the street for these positions. 

So, how long till the next exam?

Acording to him, he would ether like to be a station agent, conductor, motorman or bus driver. Does anyone know when the next exam is or where he can take it?

They just had an exam for Bus Operator position a few weeks ago. Keep checking the website for applications posting.

Do you know how regularly they post exams? And what are the exams like?

I'm not sure. It all depends in previous status of what they need. So far theres been 4 Bus Operator exams open within the 1 - 2 year range. Bus operator exam 2613 toward the end of 2012 or beginning 2013. Bus operator exam 3101 was toward the end 2013 , Bus Operator exam 4600 was towards the end of 2013. And finally the last one was a few weeks ago for Bus operator Exam 4105.

If you visit MTA.INFO website, under the employment section. You should be able to view whats open at the moment or future opening.

Do you know how regularly they post exams? And what are the exams like?

Normally they have civil service exams every four [4] years. I say normally because with the B/O 2613 exam, they only got 3,617 (or 3,621) candidates after the civil service and BOSS exams were given, that's why B/O 4600 was also given as well. Therefore, to specifically answer your question, it depends. They probably won't give another Track Worker exam within the next couple of years as well since that list consists of over 12,000 candidates.

If your father wants to become a Station Agent, I would encourage him and you to look at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808011000.pdf since you need experience for the position.

Most of the exams contain questions about the position. Most of them contain reading passages, some exams will ask you questions based on specific information given, and some exams will ask you some mathematical questions (finding the average of some data). I know the B/O exams gave you a portion of the Queens Bus Map in which you had to answer questions from; and the exams also had a timetable in which you had to answer questions from (example: how long does it take to get from one terminal to the other).

They do? Like which ones?

MTA PD officers must be under a certain age when they take the exam. While jobs such as C/R or T/O may not have official age limits, you have to be able to pass the physical exam, and I doubt a 75-year-old, for example, will be given clearance to start in one of those positions that involve jumping around in the subway system. 

MTA PD officers must be under a certain age when they take the exam. While jobs such as C/R or T/O may not have official age limits, you have to be able to pass the physical exam, and I doubt a 75-year-old, for example, will be given clearance to start in one of those positions that involve jumping around in the subway system. 

Considering a 78 year old was hired as a conductor two years ago, this statement is not true.

Every employee must pass certain physical requirements to get hired in a safety sensitive title, but to suggest that arbitrary age limits are enforced for titles where age criteria does not exist on the examination is false.

Considering a 78 year old was hired as a conductor two years ago, this statement is not true.

Every employee must pass certain physical requirements to get hired in a safety sensitive title, but to suggest that arbitrary age limits are enforced for titles where age criteria does not exist on the examination is false.

There's nothing false about what I wrote...the MTA PD has a specific age limit. Kudos to the 78 year old who was hired, but that is an unusual case. To expect the average 78 year old to be in good enough shape to pass the physical requirements for many safety sensitive positions is not realistic. 

There's nothing false about what I wrote...the MTA PD has a specific age limit. Kudos to the 78 year old who was hired, but that is an unusual case. To expect the average 78 year old to be in good enough shape to pass the physical requirements for many safety sensitive positions is not realistic.

Then post something to back up what you said then makes it easier. I mean the MTA PD is under the same umbrella as any other department that's under the MTA right? I'm sure there's something written somewhere.

Then post something to back up what you said then makes it easier. I mean the MTA PD is under the same umbrella as any other department that's under the MTA right? I'm sure there's something written somewhere.

This is from the MTA PD website. I think NYPD has similar requirements, though interestingly enough I don't seen anything about a mandatory retirement for MTA PD like some police depts. have. 

http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/mtapd-info.htm

Requirements (subject to change)

• Must be a United States citizen
  • Must have a valid driver's license
  • Must have a high school diploma or GED
  • Must have a minimum of 60 credits with a 2.0 grade point average from an accredited college at the time of the panel interview. As an alternative, candidate can have 2 years satisfactory, full-time active service as a sworn police officer or 2 years of active duty U.S. military experience with honorable discharge.
  • Must be at least 19 years of age, but no more than 35 years of age, as of the date of the written examination. [Candidates who exceed this age requirement but who have a period of military duty or terminal leave, not exceeding a total of six years, shall have these years subtracted from their age.] At the time of appointment, you must be at least 21 years of age.
  • Must reside in NY, NJ, or CT at date of appointment and continue to maintain residence in NY, NJ or CT for the term of employment with the MTAPD

Then post something to back up what you said...

Okay, so you proved your point with being a Police Officer for the MTA...how about a Bus Operator for NYC Transit? Conductor? Train Operator? Track worker?

Okay, so you proved your point with being a Police Officer for the MTA...how about a Bus Operator for NYC Transit? Conductor? Train Operator? Track worker?

To my knowledge, for those there is no age limit, you only need to be able to pass the medical exam. But I'm no expert, and the requirements could change in future postings for exams. My point to the OP was just that he needs to take his father's age into consideration and read the job requirements carefully. 

My dads 53, so he cant work as a Transit Cop. What about conductor?

Yes he can apply for conductor and train operator, there is no age limit to apply for both.  All you have to do is take the tests when given and pass the drug and medical examinations.  

Yes he can apply for conductor and train operator, there is no age limit to apply for both.  All you have to do is take the tests when given and pass the drug and medical examinations.  

In addition to passing the drug and medical examinations, your father would also be required to go through and pass schoolcar as well. One of the requirements to pass schoolcar is to be able to climb up a subway train. Refer to http://youtu.be/8tfRot-6PN4?t=1m9s, if you're unsure as far as what I'm talking about.

There are other requirements for schoolcar as well, however there is a separate thread which can help you find this and all other information, located at http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/38133-the-schoolcar-experience/.

Archived