R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

so it looks like the first few R211s will just increase the spare factor for R46s and R179s on the (A) (essentially an R32 replacement), and then it may be a 1 for 1 replacement of the R46s once enough cars are here and cleared for service.

If it's indeed a 1 for 1, they should combine those r179 4 & 5 car sets for 9 car (C) service. This move would kill two birds with 1 stone: make the (C) one consistent length again, and push the r46s off the line.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

If it's indeed a 1 for 1, they should combine those r179 4 & 5 car sets for 9 car (C) service. This move would kill two birds with 1 stone: make the (C) one consistent length again, and push the r46s off the line.

that would.be more trouble than its worth since there are no correct boards for 9 car trains 

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So apparently (and I'm still not sure if it is confirmed), the R211T at Jamaica is going to be running along the (F) presumably in service. Not sure if it is both or just the hard shell and when that'll be the case. 

I wouldn't be surprised if both open gangway trains go to Jamaica, but IMO I think both should go to the E.

5 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Sometimes unattainable dreams are the best kinds lol

11 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

that would.be more trouble than its worth since there are no correct boards for 9 car trains 

Since the (C) doesn't go through a loop at either terminal, they could simply position the 4 car set one way (northbound) & the 5 car set the other way (southbound). Have all northbound trains stop at the 8 car marker, & all southbound trains stop at the 10 car marker. That way, the conductor will always be in the middle of the train (halfway point).

If there is another logistical complexity to this I'm unaware of, someone please let me know.

9 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

Sometimes unattainable dreams are the best kinds lol

I mean if they really have to get rid of the R46s ASAP (which would be understandable), then this would be the quickest way to address the mixed length operation. But if they're unable to do it for any reason, then they can't do it. I just thought it would at least be a good suggestion.

Edited by RandomRider0101

16 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Have all northbound trains stop at the 8 car marker, & all southbound trains stop at the 10 car marker. That way, the conductor will always be in the middle of the train (halfway point).

If there is another logistical complexity to this I'm unaware of, someone please let me know.

Franklin Av and 34 St have 8 car markers that align the last car with exits at the far south end of those platforms.

11 hours ago, Ale188 said:

I was thinkin that it would go on the C. My thoughts came crashing down...

Nah, the C doesn't need open gangway trains. The C just needs to full length.

Open gang way trains need to run on the lines that have the highest ridership. It the MTA puts both pilot open gangway trains on the A, great, but if the MTA puts them on the E, even better.

12 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Nah, the C doesn't need open gangway trains. The C just needs to full length.

Open gang way trains need to run on the lines that have the highest ridership. It the MTA puts both pilot open gangway trains on the A, great, but if the MTA puts them on the E, even better.

Which is probably why the soft shell set transferred to Jamaica. The F would also work too since people mentioned that. I’d be  surprised if It ran on the R or M, but those two are good, E or F it is.

2 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Since the (C) doesn't go through a loop at either terminal, they could simply position the 4 car set one way (northbound) & the 5 car set the other way (southbound). Have all northbound trains stop at the 8 car marker, & all southbound trains stop at the 10 car marker. That way, the conductor will always be in the middle of the train (halfway point).

I mean if they really have to get rid of the R46s ASAP (which would be understandable), then this would be the quickest way to address the mixed length operation. But if they're unable to do it for any reason, then they can't do it. I just thought it would at least be a good suggestion.

its never simple, take it from someone who works down here, havent been there that much yet, but ive seen enough to know

5 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Which is probably why the soft shell set transferred to Jamaica. The F would also work too since people mentioned that. I’d be  surprised if It ran on the R or M, but those two are good, E or F it is.

Its definitely not going to the M because it's the 10 car set. Now the 8 car sets more then likely will

On 8/15/2023 at 6:28 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

I don't think the MTA is in a huge hurry to make the C 100% full length.  The 8 car r179's will most likely stay on the C until option order 1. 

Once the 8 car r179's leave the C, the 10 car r179's can go to the C.

Has anyone thought about the possibility of option order 1 being split between Jamaica and Concourse??

In terms of ridership, it makes more sense for both the A and D trains to be 100% r211As, while the B gets r160's, while the C can become 100% full length with 10 car r179's and 10 car r160's and Jamaica gets a good chunk of r211's for the E and F trains.

Now, if the MTA does decide to put r211's on the C, then they should put the r211's on the B as well. Both B and C trains don't run full time and both lines have about the same ridership, which is much lower than the E and F trains.

38 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I don't think the MTA is in a huge hurry to make the C 100% full length.  The 8 car r179's will most likely stay on the C until option order 1. 

Has anyone thought about the possibility of option order 1 being split between Jamaica and Concourse??

In terms of ridership, it makes more sense for both the A and D trains to be 100% r211As, while the B gets r160's, while the C can become 100% full length with 10 car r179's and 10 car r160's and Jamaica gets a good chunk of r211's for the E and F trains.

Now, if the MTA does decide to put r211's on the C, then they should put the r211's on the B as well. Both B and C trains don't run full time and both lines have about the same ridership, which is much lower than the E and F trains.

I don’t believe there will be any changes at Jamaica until the MTA says yay or nay on the r211T’s 

Because I can’t leave you children alone for hardly 10 seconds…

the 211T set at Jamaica is for CBTC integration testing. See how well the train behaves while under CBTC operation.

it is not there for passenger service. Not yet at least. This is just for using the QBL’s functional (somewhat) CBTC infrastructure. Assuming someone doesn’t look at the Queensboro Zone controller funny again…

as for running 9 car R179s… no. We’re not doing that. The computers would throw a fit, the CBTC wouldn’t know what do do with it and just because the 7 runs in that fashion does not mean the rest of us can do it.

we’re more likely to take a page out of the R188 playbook and order more B cars to turn them into 10 car trains.

and for the record that is not what’s been decided on when the time comes, that was me pulling that idea out of thin air.

the fact I needed to elaborate on that shows how little I trust you all with information these days if a basic statement can get so badly misunderstood.

On 8/15/2023 at 6:28 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

It really shouldn’t be to hard to do this either. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

No, because the A would still need part of option 1. then the C would get r211s as well

29 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It really shouldn’t be to hard to do this either. 

Well according to @Kamen Rider & @Comrade96, this operation wouldn't work in practice. See below posts.

12 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

its never simple, take it from someone who works down here, havent been there that much yet, but ive seen enough to know

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

As for running 9 car R179s… no. We’re not doing that. The computers would throw a fit, the CBTC wouldn’t know what do do with it and just because the 7 runs in that fashion does not mean the rest of us can do it.

we’re more likely to take a page out of the R188 playbook and order more B cars to turn them into 10 car trains.

and for the record that is not what’s been decided on when the time comes, that was me pulling that idea out of thin air.

Okay, well that idea is out the window. Straight to full length operation it is then (whenever that happens).

Btw, thanks to both of you for what you do. Be safe out there. It's a crazy world we live in.

Edited by RandomRider0101