R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

BRT doesn't work in NYC?

We don't even have real BRT.....

I can definitely see true BRT being used in the outermost fringes, but built in a way that would allow for a tramway upgrade when needed. Think LACMTA Orange Line.

Plenty of wide boulevards to do it.

(Waiting on the nonsense reasons why it can't be from the echo chamber)

Of all examples, why that one?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm starting to think 1 211A train will hit service every two weeks. I think that's the MTA plan because. on 8/3, the 3rd set hit service and two weeks later, on 8/17, the 4th one hut service. So on Thursday, the 5th set might be in service. I think this is kind of a coincidence.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/27/nyc-subway-motorcyclist-gets-upset-with-riders-who-ask-him-to-move/

Man brings motorcycle on NYC subway, gets mad at riders who ask him to move

An entitled New York City subway straphanger ruined the ride for dozens of other commuters when he blocked the train car with his massive motorbike — then played the victim when he was asked to move.

Bizarre footage of the incident shows the man growing increasingly agitated as other riders trying to board the car attempt to squeeze past the motorcycle.

“I’m not moving. I’m not moving,” the young man asserted.

The riders soon found the mission impossible — the bike was parked just in front of the doors and laid across the car, completely blocking the aisle.

When asked whether he could reposition his bike so it wasn’t blocking the group’s path, the biker ordered them to go through another door of the car instead.

He then points to the space where his motorcycle stood, adding: “I’m staying right here.”

It’s not clear who the biker is arguing with, but he can be seen telling an off-camera straphanger to help funnel the flow of traffic through the second door on the opposite side of the train car.

He then directs commuters to push inward toward his bike in order to fit more people on the train rather than offer to move his bike deeper inside the car.

Several riders who already scored spots on the train could be seen smirking as the biker steadily lost his patience.

“There’s no f–king room,” the biker shouts.

“And you’re pushing me!” he then adds, seemingly to no one in particular.

At least one woman is seen in the video completely giving up, choosing to walk back onto the train platform and apparently wait for the next train.

“There’s not enough room,” the biker states before the video cuts.

Any “gasoline-powered vehicles” are banned from MTA facilities, according to the agency.

The bizarre incident surfaced just days after another viral video captured a violent brawl inside a Queens-bound subway.

A straphanger was caught viciously elbowing a fellow commuter in the face — knocking him unconscious — after he fell asleep on his shoulder.

Police are still looking for the man, who also threw fists at his victim’s friend.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Oh wait, whoops I put this in the completely wrong thread. All good.

No worries. Thank you for sharing this. You're right. I am getting fed up in regards to disrespectful straphangers blocking subway car doors with open strollers, large shopping carts, and bikes.

The r211's have flipped seats and less seats. Therefore, the r211's will have room to accommodate strollers, shopping carts and bikes.

6 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

Well, a month is 30.4 days or 4 weeks and 2.4 days, so every two weeks is different from twice a month. Not sure which one the MTA will do but every two or three weeks makes sense if they plan to do two trains a month.

That's what the MTA said themselves. The current goal is 20 cars (2 trains) per month. The original goal was 30-40 cars per month, but supply chain & worker shortage issues (both largely caused by COVID) changed that. Hopefully as time goes on, they (Kawasaki) can work their way up to the original goal.

MTA also has to get all their crews trained & qualified on the R211s, which has been an issue according to all the things we've been hearing. Soon enough though, all of that will eventually be resolved.

Edited by RandomRider0101

On 8/27/2023 at 8:13 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

75 cars is not a lot of cars, so there's no need for another yard in SI, unless the MTA decides to fullfill Gov. Hochul's wish of building a tunnel under the Verrazano Bridge to extend the R train.

IMO the MTA should seriously consider at least building a couple of light rail lines in SI.

SIR and buses don't do justice to Staten Islanders and crossing the Verrazano is ridiculously expensive.

Whenever I hear about the "wish list" about extending the R to Staten Island, my selfishness as a (retired) transit employee comes into play.

Can the crews imagine the scheduled running time of a train from Continental to possible Tottenville? First, southbound service reliability would be horrid by the time it got to the new tunnel, and the length of the line would mean only rookies would work it, unless you lived in Staten Island for traveling to work purposes.  And they wouldn't get away with 1 round trip a day either.  Definitely 2, as is the case now.  And don't make me relay at CTL either!

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

On 8/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

BRT doesn't work in NYC. More subway lines (including extensions) are needed in the outer boroughs. Light rail can also work in the outer boroughs, especially in the Bronx, which has a lot of transit deserts.

Ordering all option orders of r211's will not only fix the subway car shortage on the B division, but it will potentially allow some lines to be extended and more service can be added on some lines.

4th Avenue needs more weekday local service, which can be achieved by extending either the W, the J or the Z. Also, CPW needs more weekend local service, which can be achieved by running the B during the weekends. Also, QBL needs more weekend local service, which can be achieved by extending the G to Forest Hills. These enhancements can be done once all r211's are in service.

And when the system is officially in the state of good repair; all lines are CBTC; and these big, service altering weekend GO's are finished.

On 8/28/2023 at 7:59 AM, Ale188 said:

Now I'm starting to think 1 211A train will hit service every two weeks. I think that's the MTA plan because. on 8/3, the 3rd set hit service and two weeks later, on 8/17, the 4th one hut service. So on Thursday, the 5th set might be in service. I think this is kind of a coincidence.

IIRC, NYC Transit claims that 2 additional R211 trains will hit service each month.

20 hours ago, Vulturious said:

NTCT's response was a joke by saying that no gasoline powered vehicles are allowed on the system.  So then battery powered bikes are allowed?  They still block the aisles no matter what the power source.  I wonder what line this was on?

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

19 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Whenever I hear about the "wish list" about extending the R to Staten Island, my selfishness as a (retired) transit employee comes into play.

Can the crews imagine the scheduled running time of a train from Continental to possible Tottenville? First, southbound service reliability would be horrid by the time it got to the new tunnel, and the length of the line would mean only rookies would work it, unless you lived in Staten Island for traveling to work purposes.  And they wouldn't get away with 1 round trip a day either.  Definitely 2, as is the case now.  And don't make me relay at CTL either!

I haven't seen much proposals for the extension going anywhere further into Staten Island, most I've seen or heard was as far as Grasmere or headed towards St. George or whatever. Although, it would still suck either way because it'll be quite the long extension regardless because of how far the distance is between Brooklyn and Staten Island overall and already how deep you'd be going into the borough.

11 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

NTCT's response was a joke by saying that no gasoline powered vehicles are allowed on the system.  So then battery powered bikes are allowed?  They still block the aisles no matter what the power source.  I wonder what line this was on?

Yeah, I dont know what they were trying to accomplish with this honestly.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

And when the system is officially in the state of good repair; all lines are CBTC; and these big, service altering weekend GO's are finished.

That's going to take more than a decade to happen. Meanwhile, the city is getting more and more crowded. More people (many of them don't drive) are moving to the outer boroughs. Driving is not for everyone. Let's not forget that driving to Manhattan is going to get more expensive. 

The MTA can't wait until trains are ridiculously crowded (to a point that people have to be literally pushed in and out of the train, like in many Asian countries) to consider building new subway lines or extending existing lines in the outer boroughs.

This is why the MTA needs to buy option 2 in addition to option 1 of r211's. That's why the MTA needs to get it right with the r262's and r268's. That is why the MTA needs to consider scrapping the current plan for phase 3 and phase 4 of SAS. Instead, it would make much more sense to rebuild the 3rd Avenue El in the Bronx and connect it with SAS at 125th Street as the T train and just build a tunnel crosstown under 125th Street to extend the Q train to 125th and St. Nicholas than to build more tunnels below 63rd and 2nd Avenue.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983