R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

I notice that the T sets have digital subway maps instead of a psychical copy, which I think should’ve been implemented on the A sets as well, the digital maps can be updated with important information, for example with the current (F) service changes, it shows the (F) as a shuttle between 63rd and 21 Street while the psychical maps don’t

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

I notice that the T sets have digital subway maps instead of a psychical copy, which I think should’ve been implemented on the A sets as well, the digital maps can be updated with important information, for example with the current (F) service changes, it shows the (F) as a shuttle between 63rd and 21 Street while the psychical maps don’t

Except there is the trade off that the physical maps can’t break. The F shuttle was supposed to be over and done with by now after all.

the greater justification for going to onboard digital maps would be to be able to show information in real time.

last night there was an emergency GO that sent the southbound Fs via crosstown and the southbound E’s to Herald Square via Broadway.

it was so last second, I was on the A last night and I did not knowing anything about it.

being able to change on the fly is the threshold I set for completely abandoning paper maps on the trains.

22 minutes ago, Transit Fans said:

That’s what the MTA mentioned on the October 2023 conference which is yes. 

Those dates aren’t always accurate , they also said the T sets would enter by fall 2023, but as you can obviously see that wasn’t the case

Edited by Chris89292

2 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Those dates aren’t always accurate , they also said the T sets would enter by fall 2023, but as you can obviously see that wasn’t the case

I know just like the R211A when they said September 2022 Revenue testing and it got push to March 2023. The MTA always comes with dates that is not always true. 

37 minutes ago, Transit Fans said:

I know just like the R211A when they said September 2022 Revenue testing and it got push to March 2023. The MTA always comes with dates that is not always true. 

its not about the dates not being true its about problems that were found that made em push the date back

On 2/6/2024 at 10:33 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Except there is the trade off that the physical maps can’t break. The F shuttle was supposed to be over and done with by now after all.

the greater justification for going to onboard digital maps would be to be able to show information in real time.

last night there was an emergency GO that sent the southbound Fs via crosstown and the southbound E’s to Herald Square via Broadway.

it was so last second, I was on the A last night and I did not knowing anything about it.

being able to change on the fly is the threshold I set for completely abandoning paper maps on the trains.

The real time changing was one of the best things I read in the spec sheets. Glad to see you're satisfied with it

8 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

However, saving the debut for the first day of Black History Month (you know, on a service that directly connects Harlem and Bed-Stuy and the Fulton extension was one of the main factors that contributed to Bed-Stuy becoming a Black neighborhood) could have been planned and is pretty genius imo

Edited by LTA1992

On 2/6/2024 at 10:40 AM, djtoro7 said:

Question to all my fellow photographers and videographers. What are the best settings to take pictures and record video as far as ISO, shutter speed, EV, Focus, White Balance, etc?

(Apologies for the multi-post, I'm seeing things I wanna respond to way too late lol)

Professional opinion? Depends on the environment and, ultimately, your personal style.

Shutter speed depends. You want the film look (24fps), 1/48 is your setting. Shutter speed is always double the fps you want. You want 60? 1/120. I wouldn't advise messing with the shutter speed because then you need to compensate your light and other things.

So just stick to 1/48.

Focus should ALWAYS be manual. You can hear and see the focusing so it would be better to train your focus pull.

White Balance? Whatever you need to get white looking white. Easier aboveground as florescent green is an annoying issue, speaking as a Gaffer/Set Electrician. 

All of the things you want to know will come with time and your own talent. Experiment. Don't be afraid to mess up either. Some of your best work will come from happy accidents.

Oh, and if you don't know the Rule of Thirds, learn it. A very important fundamental that will destroy the notion of needing a professional camera to take amazing shots.

And don't breathe. That's the key to truly stable shooting.

All my pics are via phone. But most don't know unless I tell them. 

Edited by LTA1992

4 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

(Apologies for the multi-post, I'm seeing things I wanna respond to way too late lol)

Professional opinion? Depends on the environment and, ultimately, your personal style.

Shutter speed depends. You want the film look (24fps), 1/48 is your setting. Shutter speed is always double the fps you want. You want 60? 1/120. I wouldn't advise messing with the shutter speed because then you need to compensate your light and other things.

So just stick to 1/48.

Focus should ALWAYS be manual. You can hear and see the focusing so it would be better to train your focus pull.

White Balance? Whatever you need to get white looking white. Easier aboveground as florescent green is an annoying issue, speaking as a Gaffer/Set Electrician. 

All of the things you want to know will come with time and your own talent. Experiment. Don't be afraid to mess up either. Some of your best work will come from happy accidents.

Oh, and if you don't know the Rule of Thirds, learn it. A very important fundamental that will destroy the notion of needing a professional camera to take amazing shots.

And don't breathe. That's the key to truly stable shooting.

All my pics are via phone. But most don't know unless I tell them. 

I've been shooting my photos and videos from my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra on the regular camera. But the image quality was a little washed out. So I just recently started using Pro mode and it's made a huge difference. I'm shooting 4K 60fps. The settings I have now are:

ISO: 800

Speed: 1/250

Focus: Auto

White Balance: Auto

Thanks for your sound advice!

2 hours ago, djtoro7 said:

I've been shooting my photos and videos from my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra on the regular camera. But the image quality was a little washed out. So I just recently started using Pro mode and it's made a huge difference. I'm shooting 4K 60fps. The settings I have now are:

ISO: 800

Speed: 1/250

Focus: Auto

White Balance: Auto

Thanks for your sound advice!

Forgot to mention, when it comes to ISO, you wanna mess with you aperture first. Only if that doesn't do the job do you increase/decrease ISO. If your ISO is too high, let's say 1000 and above, it starts getting grainy. And it's will be quite noticeable in the subway, or just in dark period.

800 is a good start point.

(This is exactly why I don't teach, always forgetting stuff lmao)

Edited by LTA1992