Weird Announcements or New Announcements ?

Iv4BSide

Yesterday, Friday I was riding the 4 train approximately around 6 pm going towards Woodlawn . The train skips 138 during that time due to rush hour . And when we arrived at 149 the doors opened and it announced " This is a Woodlawn Bound 4 Express Train, the next stop is 161 St Yankee Stadium" then when we got to 161 the this is announcement was normal but then when the doors would open every announcement from 161 to Woodlawn would state "The next stop is 167 St" . The train did not state "This is a Woodlawn Bound 4 Train" . Is this a new style of announcements ? Or was this something else ? I believe it was R142 #1167.

Yesterday, Friday I was riding the 4 train approximately around 6 pm going towards Woodlawn . The train skips 138 during that time due to rush hour . And when we arrived at 149 the doors opened and it announced " This is a Woodlawn Bound 4 Express Train, the next stop is 161 St Yankee Stadium" then when we got to 161 the this is announcement was normal but then when the doors would open every announcement from 161 to Woodlawn would state "The next stop is 167 St" . The train did not state "This is a Woodlawn Bound 4 Train" . Is this a new style of announcements ? Or was this something else ? I believe it was R142 #1167.

that's probably just this set. There're some sets on the (4) that wasn't updated with the new annoucements.

Ex: at Borough Hall on the (4) to Utica

before: This is a Crown Heights bound 4 Express Train (set 7146-7150 with 1146-1150

now: This is a Crown Heights bound 4 Train 

I was going back home when I heard that on Friday. Me and my brother were freaking out!

I was going back home when I heard that on Friday. Me and my brother were freaking out!

We must have been on the same train then . And I sort of like it , I mean there are no other trains on the Jerome line so it makes no sense to announce it self as a Woodlawn bound 4 because we know where it's going after 149 . Unless it's a Burnside train .

that's probably just this set. There're some sets on the (4) that wasn't updated with the new annoucements.

Ex: at Borough Hall on the (4) to Utica

before: This is a Crown Heights bound 4 Express Train (set 7146-7150 with 1146-1150

now: This is a Crown Heights bound 4 Train 

I would simplify it further...

"This is a Downtown (4) train."

I think naming the terminal suffices. On services with multiple termini it can be confusing. In those cases you would have to specify the terminal, which raises the question, why not just include the terminal in the first place??

ALSO, downtown can refer to downtown Brooklyn or downtown Manhattan which can be very confusing because just like Crown Heights, Downtown refers to a neighborhood.

on an unrelated note, I'm so out of the loop with NTT announcements since I pretty much only take the (D).

Except that doesn't make any sense when the train is already in Brooklyn.

I think naming the terminal suffices. On services with multiple termini it can be confusing. In those cases you would have to specify the terminal, which raises the question, why not just include the terminal in the first place??

ALSO, downtown can refer to downtown Brooklyn or downtown Manhattan which can be very confusing because just like Crown Heights, Downtown refers to a neighborhood.

I agree but saying the terminus makes no sense on a Bronx Bound (4) because everyone knows its Woodlawn. Same for the (1) 

I agree but saying the terminus makes no sense on a Bronx Bound (4) because everyone knows its Woodlawn. Same for the (1)

No I still think you need to say the destination except when the destination is the next stop.

I will say there is no need to add "This is a Woodlawn bound (4)local train" or " This is a 242 Street bound (1)local train"

I will say there is no need to add "This is a Woodlawn bound (4)local train" or " This is a 242 Street bound (1)local train"

I don't see anything wrong with those because they're fully local in the Bronx anyway. Those should stay permanent IMO.

No I still think you need to say the destination except when the destination is the next stop.

I agree, mentioning the word local is redundant if there is no express service in the area.

This is why older train sets are the best. No need to critique the format of the message because you're too busy trying to discern what the conductor said.

Just kidding.

On the (D) line most conductors keep it short an simple "This is a Manhattan bound (D) train, the next stop is Atlantic Avenue". If you're at 36th st going straight to Atlantic Avenue and can't deduce that the train is running express, that's your problem. When in Brooklyn or the Bronx they state the terminal. Then there's that one conductor who's extra and says the time, current stop, next stop, what line you're on, and thanks you for riding with the MTA, although I haven't heard that man in years.

I agree, mentioning the word local is redundant if there is no express service in the area.

Okay and? Mentioning the word express is just as redundant as mentioning local. I, for one, don't really care at all either way. As the above poster stated, most times, it's best for people to deduce that the train is either running express or local themselves, especially with all the countdown clocks throughout the entire A Division and later the B Division. The countdown clocks basically mention express or local anyway.

However, though, I would say that the (MTA) should get rid of all the hardly ever used options in the R142s and R142As (depending the lines they almost never run on or almost never be rerouted to, either way) instead of the ones they decided to cut, because there really wasn't anything wrong with the ones they cutted recently at all IMHO. Also, far fewer other announcements (such as "This is a Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue-bound (5) express train" and "This is a Forest Hills-71st Avenue (M) local train") should be shorten to ("This is a Flatbush Avenue-bound (5) express train" at Borough Hall, Nevins Street, and Atlantic Avenue, and then say "This is a Flatbush Avenue-bound (5) train" from Franklin Avenue to Beverly Road) and (This is a 71st Avenue-bound (M) train or with the word "local" added).

I might go into details about this further more in the Subway Proposal Thread.

Personally, I feel if the line is always local, like the 1, 6, C and M, it doesn't need to announce itself as a local. The express trains, announced as such, should be sufficient. Of course, that's just a personal preference.

Personally, I feel if the line is always local, like the 1, 6, C and M, it doesn't need to announce itself as a local. The express trains, announced as such, should be sufficient. Of course, that's just a personal preference.

So then when, for example when the (R) runs express from 59 St to Barclays as part of a GO, would you object to the train announcing its self as a local after the reroute ends?

But what about those (4) trains that go express from 167 to Burnside?

So then when, for example when the (R) runs express from 59 St to Barclays as part of a GO, would you object to the train announcing its self as a local after the reroute ends?

I meant during normal service, not express runs.

Of course, after 59 St, there aren't any other express stops, so unless it's skipping all stops to 95 St, it has to run local.

Archived