LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

5 hours ago, Domicrafting said:

Here's the basic path to getting hired as an Assistant Conductor, Engineer, or Block Operator:

Apply on the website.

Wait to get contacted (usually via email). Getting contacted (or not) is based on your resume and if their system picked up the keywords they're looking for. They will invite you to an "Open House" for the position you applied for. Wait times range from 1 day to 12 months, or never. If they are not interested, you will not hear from them.

Attend the Open House. You will take a "Cognitive" test (IQ test, they want to see if you have the intellectual firepower for the S&D and Classroom process), a Vocabulary test (multiple choice, pick the synonym for the word given, 10th grade level give or take), and a math test (Assistant Conductor only, basic arithmetic, grade school level). If you pass the tests given, you will be interviewed that day and then sent home. If you fail the tests, you will be sent home and told to apply again in one year.

After successfully interviewing wait to be contacted for Signals & Definitions. You will receive an invite (via email) to attend a "Signals & Definitions Overview Class". The wait to receive this email can range from a few weeks to a few months. If they do not want to move forward with you, you will receive a rejection letter via US Mail at this point.

Attend the S&D Overview (~6 hours long) and receive study materials.

Study for 5 weeks, (2-3 hours a night, and as much as possible on the weekends) learning the S&D material word-for-word verbatim.  (and they mean it)

Take the S&D test, get a passing grade. If you pass, you will be interviewed again (by a transportation manager and HR, this is the "real" interview) and measured for a uniform that same day. If you fail, you will be sent home and told to apply again in one year.

Wait to get contacted about the job. This wait can sometimes take months, depending on the training schedule. If they decide they don't want to move forward with you at this point, you will receive a rejection letter via US Mail. When they reach out to you, it will be to start the process on the background check, and to schedule a comprehensive medical screen+drug test at their medical facility. Marijuana, although legal in NYS, is a no go for any of these positions, so begin abstaining well in advance.

Complete background check & medical/physical exam**. (don't attempt omit anything on the background check, they will find out)

Receive offer letter, begin class*.

(Credit to "lirrcndctrthrowaway" on reddit for the above outline of the process.)

You can't really study for the first round of tests, so don't sweat it. Do however dress professionally for the Open House, a suit or professional attire is recommended. Don't expect the hiring process to move especially quickly until after you pass the S&D exam (as in don't plan on quitting your current job anytime in the next few months;). 

(footnotes from "lirrcndctrthrowaway" for block operators/engineers candidates in this process who might find this post in a search.)

*Engineer process differs a bit here: you are first in an unpaid "Phase 1" class, which is similar to first 5 weeks of the paid training for Asst. Conductors. Engineers that are successful in Phase 1 are then officially hired and put in paid Phase 2 training (14 months).

**Block operator process differs a bit here: You are first in a 2 week unpaid training called "Basic Skills"(Tuesday/Thursday evenings and all day Saturday). If you pass the exams during Basic Skills, you complete the background check and are placed in a pool of eligible candidates to be hired. Once you are offered a position in a training class (6 weeks of class time, 1 year on the job training) you then do the medical/physical exam.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/7/2023 at 7:55 PM, Domicrafting said:

Here's the basic path to getting hired as an Assistant Conductor, Engineer, or Block Operator:

Apply on the website.

Wait to get contacted (usually via email). Getting contacted (or not) is based on your resume and if their system picked up the keywords they're looking for. They will invite you to an "Open House" for the position you applied for. Wait times range from 1 day to 12 months, or never. If they are not interested, you will not hear from them.

Attend the Open House. You will take a "Cognitive" test (IQ test, they want to see if you have the intellectual firepower for the S&D and Classroom process), a Vocabulary test (multiple choice, pick the synonym for the word given, 10th grade level give or take), and a math test (Assistant Conductor only, basic arithmetic, grade school level). If you pass the tests given, you will be interviewed that day and then sent home. If you fail the tests, you will be sent home and told to apply again in one year.

After successfully interviewing wait to be contacted for Signals & Definitions. You will receive an invite (via email) to attend a "Signals & Definitions Overview Class". The wait to receive this email can range from a few weeks to a few months. If they do not want to move forward with you, you will receive a rejection letter via US Mail at this point.

Attend the S&D Overview (~6 hours long) and receive study materials.

Study for 5 weeks, (2-3 hours a night, and as much as possible on the weekends) learning the S&D material word-for-word verbatim.  (and they mean it)

Take the S&D test, get a passing grade. If you pass, you will be interviewed again (by a transportation manager and HR, this is the "real" interview) and measured for a uniform that same day. If you fail, you will be sent home and told to apply again in one year.

Wait to get contacted about the job. This wait can sometimes take months, depending on the training schedule. If they decide they don't want to move forward with you at this point, you will receive a rejection letter via US Mail. When they reach out to you, it will be to start the process on the background check, and to schedule a comprehensive medical screen+drug test at their medical facility. Marijuana, although legal in NYS, is a no go for any of these positions, so begin abstaining well in advance.

Complete background check & medical/physical exam**. (don't attempt omit anything on the background check, they will find out)

Receive offer letter, begin class*.

(Credit to "lirrcndctrthrowaway" on reddit for the above outline of the process.)

You can't really study for the first round of tests, so don't sweat it. Do however dress professionally for the Open House, a suit or professional attire is recommended. Don't expect the hiring process to move especially quickly until after you pass the S&D exam (as in don't plan on quitting your current job anytime in the next few months;). 

(footnotes from "lirrcndctrthrowaway" for block operators/engineers candidates in this process who might find this post in a search.)

*Engineer process differs a bit here: you are first in an unpaid "Phase 1" class, which is similar to first 5 weeks of the paid training for Asst. Conductors. Engineers that are successful in Phase 1 are then officially hired and put in paid Phase 2 training (14 months).

**Block operator process differs a bit here: You are first in a 2 week unpaid training called "Basic Skills"(Tuesday/Thursday evenings and all day Saturday). If you pass the exams during Basic Skills, you complete the background check and are placed in a pool of eligible candidates to be hired. Once you are offered a position in a training class (6 weeks of class time, 1 year on the job training) you then do the medical/physical exam.

Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, coleslawpickle said:

Hey, anyone attending the S&D overview tomorrow? What's the best way to get there - google maps shows little/no parking.

If it’s at American Legion in Babylon, you can drive or take the train to Babylon and walk. It’s a short 5 min walk from the station. Only caveat is you’ll have to sit around for about an hour while they get everyone else checked in.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jason95491 said:

Hello! I have taken Metro North exams in the past unfortunately was not called. I just applied for the Assistant Conductor LIRR position and was invited to an open house. Can anyone offer advice on the event, how it goes, and what could be possible outcomes? 

Having gone through the process myself and ultimately ended up declining the offer. I can say this: the LIRR has a higher standard than Metro-North, if you feel you didn't study enough for Metro-North, it will be WAY harder at the LIRR. 

For the open house, you will be sat down for around 4 hours and sit through a series of IQ tests, vocabulary, and a math test consisting of addition, subtraction and multiplication. You cannot really study for this. If you fail any of these sections, they will thank you for your time and show you the door. If you successfully pass these tests, you will go on to a small interview with either a Transportation Manager or someone from HR and it's just a small interview to ask you what kind of experience you have for this role, nobody really fails this part and the interviewer helps you through. Once you pass this portion, you will be invited to the Signals and Definitions overview at Hillside Complex and be given a packet consisting of you guessed it, Signals and Definitions. If I remember correctly, they'll give you 5 weeks to memorize the signal names and indications, the signal names have to be 100% correct. There will be a separate section which consists of railroad terminology and their definition, these along with the signal indication, you must net an 80% on to pass. On the day you pass, they will measure you for your uniform and conduct another interview to judge your character (but nobody really fails this part either), HR helps ya out. They give you a horn, signal and buzzer packet and tell you to study this in preparation for the next class. Between this time and the start of class, you will have to clear a background check, driver's license check and a medical hold. Good luck if you make it through! 

Edited by danielhg121

On 11/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, Kreyolo said:

Can you anyone tell me is it mandatory to have a driver’s license to be an assistant conductor? 
I just got an invite to take the assistant conductor trainee recruitment event. And they asked that I bring my driver’s license.

Kinda in the same position as you,

I also got invited Wednesday and I would like to attend but I’m afraid if I show up without it they will turn me away, I was thinking of hurrying up and getting my license real quick  but the event is on Thursday  so idk how that’s gonna work . I may still attend 

3 hours ago, Showmethemoney said:

Kinda in the same position as you,

I also got invited Wednesday and I would like to attend but I’m afraid if I show up without it they will turn me away, I was thinking of hurrying up and getting my license real quick  but the event is on Thursday  so idk how that’s gonna work . I may still attend 

You pretty much need your license for the position. You may be required to report out to Speonk with a 4 hr call window, Port Jefferson with a 3 hr call window. Access to a reliable vehicle is also needed. I think they’ll give you some leeway but you pretty much need it by the signals and definitions exam. The conductors federal license is more or less tied to your drivers license.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Attended open house in Babylon recently and made it through the initial exams and interview. I heard a few mentions during the open house that they may have some S&D overview classes scheduled for January.. I know it can take weeks to several months to hear back but hopefully everyone that attended open house recently will be lucky enough to attend the overview that soon

I've read through every single post about this role and I am super excited to start the process of studying and qualifying for this position. Best of luck to everyone else who is also in the process

For what its worth an early January S&D overview makes sense. The final class of 2023 just started at Hillside last week and will wrap up in mid February. So if they hold S&D overviews in early Jan and then test applicants in early February they can fill a late Feb/Early March class. If I were in your shoes I'd enjoy the Holidays and try not to dwell on whether or when you'll get the call. Because if you inevitably get through the process and are working the trains getting off for Christmas or New years is gonna be tough ask for the first several years - so enjoy the time you get with your family now while you still can. When you inevitably get the invite study your ass off for 5 weeks by any means necessary.  Honestly the S&D test was the toughest part of the process because you need to take the time out of your life to study for free, for something with no guaranteed reward, and you have absorb a big chunk of esoteric knowledge which seems like nonsense. Once your in class things are much more manageable because you're getting paid and it's your job at that point. You're also surrounded by people in the same boat while you're at hillside, whereas with the S&D test it's all on you in isolation. Good luck with getting the call, hope to see you out there sometime next year. Study hard, the job is worth it.

Edited by Domicrafting

33 minutes ago, Domicrafting said:

For what its worth an early January S&D overview makes sense. The final class of 2023 just started at Hillside last week and will wrap up in mid February. So if they hold S&D overviews in early Jan and then test applicants in early February they can fill a late Feb/Early March class. If I were in your shoes I'd enjoy the Holidays and try not to dwell on whether or when you'll get the call. Because if you inevitably get through the process and are working the trains getting off for Christmas or New years is gonna be tough ask for the first several years - so enjoy the time you get with your family now while you still can. When you inevitably get the invite study your ass off for 5 weeks by any means necessary.  Honestly the S&D test was the toughest part of the process because you need to take the time out of your life to study for free, for something with no guaranteed reward, and you have absorb a big chunk of esoteric knowledge which seems like nonsense. Once your in class things are much more manageable because you're getting paid and it's your job at that point. You're also surrounded by people in the same boat while you're at hillside, whereas with the S&D test it's all on you in isolation. Good luck with getting the call, hope to see you out there sometime next year. Study hard, the job is worth it.

So if I passed the S&D test in April, does that mean I won’t be called up? I still didn’t hear back from them. Do you know what happened? Do they bypass applicants like that?

I would get in touch with whoever reached out to you from HR to schedule the S&D process and ask whats going on with your application. I can't adequately answer that question of what happened because I'm not part of HR and I'd just be speculating. I think/have heard if they don't want to move forward with you in the process they send you correspondence through U.S. mail saying they're going another direction and to reapply in a year, so if you never got a letter like that you're likely still in the running. If you email them I'd imagine you get an answer within a business day or two.

Hi!  Trying to read up on different things.  So I went to the recruitment event in Babylon on November 20th and passed the tests + did the interview.   Do a majority of the people that get through the recruitment event hear back about the signals and definitions overview?  I’m just trying to figure out if I should start seriously looking into some of the definitions etc.  thanks!

13 hours ago, JORDAN10293 said:

Hi!  Trying to read up on different things.  So I went to the recruitment event in Babylon on November 20th and passed the tests + did the interview.   Do a majority of the people that get through the recruitment event hear back about the signals and definitions overview?  I’m just trying to figure out if I should start seriously looking into some of the definitions etc.  thanks!

Yes. They need bodies! You’ll have a lot of time to study within the 5 weeks they give you.  If you start studying now, you’ll feel burnt out and won’t hit the books as hard. 

Question if you're invited to the S&D overview at the Hillside Support facility, can you take the LIRR to the Hillside Support facility station? I've been invited but haven't received a response to my confirmation or question from HR. I'm not even sure where the visitors' entrance is.

27 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Question if you're invited to the S&D overview at the Hillside Support facility, can you take the LIRR to the Hillside Support facility station? I've been invited but haven't received a response to my confirmation or question from HR. I'm not even sure where the visitors' entrance is.

Yes you can! There is no visitors entrance, just head up the overpass and walk towards the facility. Usually, the security guard is informed there is a S&D overview and he/she will be waiting by the entrance to let you in. Remember to bring your driver's license. Good luck! Make those flashcards. 

On 12/7/2023 at 5:26 PM, IAlam said:

Curious…. What date did you go

to the initial open house on?  

29 minutes ago, JORDAN10293 said:

Nice! Makes me a little nervous, I went on the 20th and got through but haven’t heard anything so hopefully that means I should hear back soon.  

Yeah, I had about a week's notice, but they sent it to the wrong email. (Not even sure how they got it since I never recalled using it.)

I was at the open house on November 20th in Babylon and got the email regarding the overview.  Of course it’s the one day there is an issue (wedding/in wedding party).  Still waiting to hear back from the woman at HR on how to move forward.  Has anyone dealt with a similar situation where they couldn’t attend the SD overview they got invited to?  Thanks!