LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

7 hours ago, JORDAN10293 said:

Just to add- I have to be in Holbrook at 11am so doesn’t seem like it’s possible for that day to work unless I was able to leave early.  Not sure how this would work 

If it is a possible workaround, they usually let you go by around 12PM if not earlier for the overview. All they do at the overview is read it aloud and elaborate on some tips to help memorize signals and definitions. If you still want to reschedule, try calling the phone numbers on the bottom of the email where the email signature is located during standard HR business hours (usually M-F 9-5).   

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

If it is a possible workaround, they usually let you go by around 12PM if not earlier for the overview. All they do at the overview is read it aloud and elaborate on some tips to help memorize signals and definitions. If you still want to reschedule, try calling the phone numbers on the bottom of the email where the email signature is located during standard HR business hours (usually M-F 9-5).   

Thanks, it’s going to be tough but I’m just going to go and see what happens.  My friend said I can get there a little later.   If I have to miss some pictures then I have to.  They haven’t responded to my email asking what I should do so I just sent another rsvp yes.  Really frustrating situation but it is what it is.  Hopefully my friends understand.

13 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

HR called me this morning.   She was understanding 

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Nice. Yea if you reschedule, its hard to really determine when the next S&D overview is. 

Yea it’s a really tough situation and I really need to move this process along and give myself a chance but HR wouldn’t confirm over the phone that it would end earlier on even though a bunch of informed people including you have told me otherwise.   My friend whos worked for railroad for a long time gave me a couple of important dates in the new year I guess for the AC class so I’m hoping that will give me some sort of estimate of when another overview could be.   It’s frustrating but going to have to give it a couple of months and will follow up if I don’t hear anything.  Back to the waiting game hahah

On 12/12/2023 at 2:33 PM, JORDAN10293 said:

Just to add- I have to be in Holbrook at 11am so doesn’t seem like it’s possible for that day to work unless I was able to leave early.  Not sure how this would work 

If it didn't happen yet I'd still try to go. Honestly, you can sign in explain the situation to the trainers get the packet, and leave. They made me sign in and out at the same time.

On 12/21/2023 at 6:15 PM, IAlam said:

If it didn't happen yet I'd still try to go. Honestly, you can sign in explain the situation to the trainers get the packet, and leave. They made me sign in and out at the same time.

I wish I went cus I knew it would most likely end early enough anyway and of course it did.  But the HR woman who called me made it like it wasn’t a big deal at all to reschedule for something like that.  Hopefully I hear back soon.  

• 3 weeks later...

I missed out mine in November, told HR and they said they’d send me another open house invite last week, but haven’t received any since… does anyone know what I can do? It feels like it’s getting a little bit unprofessional keeping someone at the pole. I’ve contacted them yesterday and the day before and still didn’t hear back or get a reply.

Hi there, I’ve been following this thread for a while and it’s great to hear everyone’s stories. I’m seriously considering a career in the LIRR and was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone who is new and looking to start. Also I’d like to start familiarizing myself with some of the signals and definitions. Are there any good resources like a quizlet anyone would recommend? Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, 30Bruins said:

Hi there, I’ve been following this thread for a while and it’s great to hear everyone’s stories. I’m seriously considering a career in the LIRR and was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone who is new and looking to start. Also I’d like to start familiarizing myself with some of the signals and definitions. Are there any good resources like a quizlet anyone would recommend? Thanks a lot!

Wait till they call you for the entrance exam. After you pass that, then they’ll schedule you for signals and definitions, you’ll have 5 weeks to study from the point where they give you the packet which is plenty of time. Also, decide if you want to choose the path of locomotive engineer or conductor. 

43 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Wait till they call you for the entrance exam. After you pass that, then they’ll schedule you for signals and definitions, you’ll have 5 weeks to study from the point where they give you the packet which is plenty of time. Also, decide if you want to choose the path of locomotive engineer or conductor. 

I appreciate the insight. Do you think I should start studying earlier or is it not worth it? I also heard that the time to becoming fully qualified can take upwards of a year. Is this correct? I’m willing to put in all the time but I just want to get some more info

13 minutes ago, 30Bruins said:

I appreciate the insight. Do you think I should start studying earlier or is it not worth it? I also heard that the time to becoming fully qualified can take upwards of a year. Is this correct? I’m willing to put in all the time but I just want to get some more info

It depends if you’re going for assistant conductor or locomotive engineer. For engineers, you can’t really run on your own until you’re marked up so you’re studying, running trains, working all sorts of odd hours in various locations. It’s a straight shot, the minute you’re marked up, you’re fully qualified and you still have to do annual block training classes. For conductors, it’s different as you’ll be in school for about 11-12 weeks, start working as an assistant conductor doing on the job training and in a year, they’ll call you back to get the conductor qualifications which means more studying and exams.

59 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

It depends if you’re going for assistant conductor or locomotive engineer. For engineers, you can’t really run on your own until you’re marked up so you’re studying, running trains, working all sorts of odd hours in various locations. It’s a straight shot, the minute you’re marked up, you’re fully qualified and you still have to do annual block training classes. For conductors, it’s different as you’ll be in school for about 11-12 weeks, start working as an assistant conductor doing on the job training and in a year, they’ll call you back to get the conductor qualifications which means more studying and exams.

Thank you!

On 1/13/2024 at 1:06 PM, dremoney9972 said:

Any information on upcoming s&d overviews? Lady I interviewed with at the open house said she passed me and I'd hear in a week or so after the 11/30 open house.  Thanks guys! 

There was one December 16th.  I know because I got the invite to the overview but had a wedding that day.  Waiting to hear back on next overview as well.   

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Anyone know what is considered acceptable work boots for the PAS?

I think anything with a 1/2 inch heel is good, I wore hiking boots to mine. You have to climb up a little steel structure so you need something to sorta hook onto the step while climbing up. Then walk on some uneven ballast so make sure they’re comfortable. 

I think anything with a 1/2 inch heel is good, I wore hiking boots to mine. You have to climb up a little steel structure so you need something to sorta hook onto the step while climbing up. Then walk on some uneven ballast so make sure they’re comfortable. 

Maybe I'll pass on my timbs for something a bit lighter 

I wear timbs now and they’re quite comfortable but there was an adjustment curve to get situated into them but I think that happens with any shoe.

The front of my foot feels so cramped in mine, it's great for snow and looks stylish but honestly, it's nothing I'd want to wear for more than a couple of hours since it's cumbersome and my feet feel sore afterward. I want something shorter and lighter.

Edited by IAlam

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, 30Bruins said:

For people that have sat for the S&D test, how do they ask about the signals? Do they give the aspect and ask you to write the definition? Or do they give the name? Or a combination? Thanks a lot.

They show you a picture of the signal and you write out the name and indication. Names have to be 100% and indications have to be 80%. Then the next section is just the term and blank space to write out the definition of it.

Just now, danielhg121 said:

They show you a picture of the signal and you write out the name and indication. Names have to be 100% and indications have to be 80%. Then the next section is just the term and blank space to write out the definition of it.

Ah great, thank you!