ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

16 minutes ago, Imhim said:

That doesn’t matter I started in 2018 and I had close to 10 points lol they just don’t want any open tickets, parking or moving violations! I believe someone said that they haven’t been asking for abstracts recently I don’t know.

That’s crazy. I think they are more lenient with TOs because when I went for Bus Operator back in 2018 they were saying minimum is 4 points to even be considered for employment. Anything more was a red flag for them and wouldn’t hire you. Until that was gone or reduced. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TA718 said:

That’s crazy. I think they are more lenient with TOs because when I went for Bus Operator back in 2018 they were saying minimum is 4 points to even be considered for employment. Anything more was a red flag for them and wouldn’t hire you. Until that was gone or reduced. 

Yeah that’s a fact I got denied for bus operator before for that same reason lol, but I’m glad and thankful I got in as a T/O. 

4 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Yeah that’s a fact I got denied for bus operator before for that same reason lol, but I’m glad and thankful I got in as a T/O. 

That’s awesome! How you like it so far seeing that it’s been 4 years. I’m sure you’ve been through it all. 

I have a class for 5/16 but currently on Medical Hold. Going in on Tuesday to have it cleared and hopefully start the following Monday. 

45 minutes ago, Imhim said:

That doesn’t matter I started in 2018 and I had close to 10 points lol they just don’t want any open tickets, parking or moving violations! I believe someone said that they haven’t been asking for abstracts recently I don’t know.

That is great news man, I hope that's still the case! Patiently waiting for the next phase.

55 minutes ago, TA718 said:

That’s awesome! How you like it so far seeing that it’s been 4 years. I’m sure you’ve been through it all. 

I have a class for 5/16 but currently on Medical Hold. Going in on Tuesday to have it cleared and hopefully start the following Monday. 

Good luck I hope you clear and get to start on 5/16!! The job is great honestly! It has its days, but it’s a job just like any other, you have the typical work place stuff, egotistical dispatchers, supervisors, superintendents, etc. I don’t pay it any attention, I come in, get my schedule card and get on my train. I will say this, focus and get your rest! Nobody is perfect but try to limit your chances of incidents by being tired or not paying attention to detail! Other than the homeless problem and emotionally disturbed customers, it’s not bad at all. Hope to see down here soon! 

1 hour ago, Imhim said:

Good luck I hope you clear and get to start on 5/16!! The job is great honestly! It has its days, but it’s a job just like any other, you have the typical work place stuff, egotistical dispatchers, supervisors, superintendents, etc. I don’t pay it any attention, I come in, get my schedule card and get on my train. I will say this, focus and get your rest! Nobody is perfect but try to limit your chances of incidents by being tired or not paying attention to detail! Other than the homeless problem and emotionally disturbed customers, it’s not bad at all. Hope to see down here soon! 

Great to hear! Sounds like how every other workplace is pretty much. And yea I can’t wait to start. I know for sure to get some rest and really study hard. This is a great opportunity and can’t be passed. Again thanks for the insight and for the info. Appreciate it and hope to see you around. 👍🏽

5 minutes ago, underground traveler said:

So I noticed its a drug and alcohol test. My pre employ is on Tuesday but Its Mothers Day weekend and I wanted to Bunch all day tomorrow should I just not drink?

You should sober up by then. People usually drink on their first day off and then cool it on the second.

16 minutes ago, underground traveler said:

So I noticed its a drug and alcohol test. My pre employ is on Tuesday but Its Mothers Day weekend and I wanted to Bunch all day tomorrow should I just not drink?

They don't do an alcohol test just a 5 drug panel test Cocaine, phencyclidine (“PCP”), amphetamines, marijuana, and opiates.

28 minutes ago, Schecter said:

They don't do an alcohol test just a 5 drug panel test Cocaine, phencyclidine (“PCP”), amphetamines, marijuana, and opiates.

Ohhh ok This is what they wrote in the email "Upon receipt of your drug/alcohol test results, you may be extended a conditional offer of employment and be invited to return to continue the pre-employment process. The conditional offer letter will advise you about specific materials you may be required to bring at that time. These materials may include originals of certain documents such as a social security card, certificates and letters that may be relevant to your application. Because the pre-employment process may move quickly once a conditional offer of employment is extended, you are encouraged to gather these documents now."    Im just going not going to drink to much

14 minutes ago, underground traveler said:

Ohhh ok This is what they wrote in the email "Upon receipt of your drug/alcohol test results, you may be extended a conditional offer of employment and be invited to return to continue the pre-employment process. The conditional offer letter will advise you about specific materials you may be required to bring at that time. These materials may include originals of certain documents such as a social security card, certificates and letters that may be relevant to your application. Because the pre-employment process may move quickly once a conditional offer of employment is extended, you are encouraged to gather these documents now."    Im just going not going to drink to much

Alcohol test is during a random when you're hired or incident testing, never did the breathalyzer test during my pre employment, only once for a random and the drug test.

1 hour ago, underground traveler said:

They don't give you breathalyser in pre-employment and even if they did nothing would show up 2 days later. Enjoy you Mothers Day. 

6 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

They don't give you breathalyser in pre-employment and even if they did nothing would show up 2 days later. Enjoy you Mothers Day. 

Yeah unless you're slamming drinks left and right at a frat party you're good.

3 minutes ago, underground traveler said:

Lol I just assumed it was the regular alcohol urine test not a breathlyzer. And thank youuu 

oh no no. It's just a breathalyser (but not fore pre-employment) .  I think it'd show up for a long time on a urine test but they don't do that for alcohol since you're allowed to drink just not to go in under the influence or hungover. Weed is a no no.  

6 hours ago, Imhim said:

Are some of those people in those titles that you Mentioned are really that bad?  :(  Makes me anxious.
When you say Schedule Card, is that your schedule for that particular day and everyday is different?
Is it possible to perform on this job without talking to any of your co-workers?  I just want to operate the train as best as I can without dealing with co-workers (also hopefully not dealing with violent EDPs too! )

1 minute ago, lizzydriver said:

Are some of those people in those titles that you Mentioned are really that bad?  :(  Makes me anxious.
When you say Schedule Card, is that your schedule for that particular day and everyday is different?
Is it possible to perform on this job without talking to any of your co-workers?  I just want to operate the train as best as I can without dealing with co-workers (also hopefully not dealing with violent EDPs too! )

why wouldn't you wanna talk with your co-workers??

18 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

why wouldn't you wanna talk with your co-workers??

Personal + Past experiences has lead me to live this life of solitude.  At my current job I am the only employee who loves to be by herself, reading books during lunch in the cafeteria.  Operating inside of that train operator's room/cab sounds like a good career for me.  Do you like the break rooms where you work?
side note: i drive uber too.... i like getting folks from point A to point B and i hate small talk with customers.  but most customers are quiet, which i love :)

Edited by lizzydriver
addition

5 minutes ago, lizzydriver said:

Personal + Past experiences has lead me to live this life of solitude.  At my current job I am the only employee who loves to be by herself, reading books during lunch in the cafeteria.  Operating inside of that train operator's room/cab sounds like a good career for me.  Do you like the break rooms where you work?

Yeah there are a lot of nice people in the crewrooms. In schoolcar you definitely have to speak to your classmates and the TSS all the time. 

4 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

Yeah there are a lot of nice people in the crewrooms. In schoolcar you definitely have to speak to your classmates and the TSS all the time. 

Just avoid the Crew Room Lawyers. They usually have no clue what they are talking about, and are the ones who are getting into trouble.

5 hours ago, lizzydriver said:

side note: i drive uber too.... i like getting folks from point A to point B and i hate small talk with customers.  but most customers are quiet, which i love :)

Honestly, this position may work well for you. You don't have the same degree of interaction with the public that conductors have, and while you work with your partner, most times, it's you alone in the cab moving the train. The crew rooms can be noisy with lots of conversation and loud TV, and while I can't attest to the state of the women's locker rooms, some of the male locker rooms are quieter than the crew rooms. With that said, don't expect to have much reading time with breaks down here unless you're a quick reader. Sometimes, you'll luck out with yard work or a long break or a drop, other times, you're stuck with a quick 20 minute lunch.

9 hours ago, underground traveler said:

TA's standard is .02 which is much stricter that the state standard of .08. So to be safe, you *should* be good to go for Tuesday, but stay off the sauce from Monday onward.

With that said, I've switched to alcohol free beer and wine. :-)