ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

They finish your background investigation during your first year. Employees have been disqualified and/or fired for discrepancies in the past. 

What if you genuinely missed one work history that was years ago or just forgot when exactly you were hired for it etc. They wouldn’t make an exception? I’m just wondering cause not sure how many people have that perfect of a memory to remember back to when they finish high school. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dincena said:

I'am also list # 38** Pre employment on 4/5. Haven't heard anything since. Any info if you do stop by Livingston greatly appreciated! I will try and go on Tuesday as that's my next day off and ask some questions as to where we stand.

So I went in there and the security guard and lady of front desk asked me if I had an appointment. I explained to them that I had my drug test back in 4/4 and I gave them the excuse that HR asked me to bring some missing paperwork. Unfortunately, they didn’t let me in and talked to HR. She told me to wait for the medical test email and to bring in all missing docs by then. I also ask her if she knew where we were in the list # and the lady just said she didn’t know. 

23 hours ago, Imhim said:

You good? Why you feel like you’re suffering? The job isn’t easy at first but trust in terms of understanding terminology, procedures, getting comfortable operating that will come with time. Also if you feel like you’re struggling speak to your TSS’s they’re more than willing to help! 

it's been very rough.....i don't think XX is right for me.  please tell me if really does get better? 
i heard 4-5 more years of XX.  if this is the truth....i might have to consider getting a new profession or go back to the employer.
had a classmate legit quiet cry/tears after clearing then only having less than 6 hours of sleep then waking up and doing it all over again.  if you're commute is 2+hours....the 10-12 hour minimum between jobs doesn't really help if you know what i mean?

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

it's been very rough.....i don't think XX is right for me.  please tell me if really does get better? 
i heard 4-5 more years of XX.  if this is the truth....i might have to consider getting a new profession or go back to the employer.
had a classmate legit quiet cry/tears after clearing then only having less than 6 hours of sleep then waking up and doing it all over again.  if you're commute is 2+hours....the 10-12 hour minimum between jobs doesn't really help if you know what i mean?

In this case your classmate is supposed to call the crew office and tell them they didn’t get enough sleep and cannot work like that, that’s a safety hazard they’re supposed to change the job or put you on board for a later start time that gets you the 10-12 hrs window. That’s happened to me and I’ve called them and they’ve done just that. I honestly would say I prolly was XX for 2 picks so that’s one year maybe Year and a half. I understand how you could be feeling but trust those times of being XX for 4-5 because that seniority list wasn’t moving is gone! You have a lot of ppl taking promotions, other retiring, plus you can always bid on vacancy jobs. There’s options, I wouldn’t advise you to just give up! 

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

Is the long commute due to where you (and your classmate) live in general or the far reporting locations the Crew Office give you? Generally, when you first come out, they will throw you everywhere they please, but as time goes on they'll start to keep you close. I do have to warn that even when you do finally get to pick years down the road, chances are you are taking what little remains and they might not be ideal for your living situation either.

That said, this is why the Crew Office will generally give those in XX jobs later in the day as the week goes by so you have time to recover.

If you think your situation will be better by switching divisions, I highly advise you keep that in mind when the next pick after comes to put in a request.

I had won a job off the vacancy bid with 1.5 hour commute each way and it was brutal so I can definitely understand your situations.

3 hours ago, Imhim said:

In this case your classmate is supposed to call the crew office and tell them they didn’t get enough sleep and cannot work like that, that’s a safety hazard they’re supposed to change the job or put you on board for a later start time that gets you the 10-12 hrs window. That’s happened to me and I’ve called them and they’ve done just that. I honestly would say I prolly was XX for 2 picks so that’s one year maybe Year and a half. I understand how you could be feeling but trust those times of being XX for 4-5 because that seniority list wasn’t moving is gone! You have a lot of ppl taking promotions, other retiring, plus you can always bid on vacancy jobs. There’s options, I wouldn’t advise you to just give up! 

Thank you for this.  I was wondering what you would do in this situation. I'm not in class yet but I live 2+ hours from the numbered stations so now I know how to handle it.

5 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Did you get the division that is near your house?

6 hours ago, trackerjack said:

What is XX exactly ? And what is the typical schedule for a new employee? since they have a 10-12hr min between jobs @trackerjack

T.I.A

8 hours ago, trackerjack said:

FWIW, XX can be weird. Some people luck out with decent jobs with workable commutes, others perpetually see Board with long waits for jobs. It's admittedly the luck of the draw, and hopefully, it works out for you. The job is admittedly easier if you have a car and can secure parking, or you're willing to pay for Uber to shorten the commute time back home, or if you have a supportive person in your life to take over some errands so you can maximize your sleep time.

Mentally pencil in roughly 3 years to pick, and honestly make use of the bid sheets at the start of each pick so you'll have some consistency. The Temporary Bids can be secret gold mines if you find something that works for you. I went the bid route this pick, and it was probably the best thing that I did for myself.

Edited by Keikyu Motorman

2 hours ago, Mikepro6 said:

What is XX exactly ? And what is the typical schedule for a new employee? since they have a 10-12hr min between jobs @trackerjack

T.I.A

It's the eXtra eXtra list. It's where new employees are placed until they're able to secure enough seniority to pick a job. After schoolcar, there really isn't a typical schedule as you're basically given jobs two days in advance which can vary by start time. As a PM person, I had jobs that started as early as 1230 and as late as 2100 (9 PM). It all depends on the needs of the crew office for that day.

8 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Call the crew office, and the keyword you want to use is “unsafe” due to lack of sleep. It’s not fun, it’s not comfortable, and it’s not conducive to quality of life, but it does get better with time. 3 years here and I’m going into my 2nd pick. The crew office shenanigans tone down after maybe a year or so. I stopped seeing the Bronx and Washington Heights (I live in Coney Island) quite as much. Also, I bought a car specifically to travel to and from work. If you work PMs, the traffic to work sucks, but if you get out anytime after 10pm, you’ll cut a 2 hr subway ride home down to a 30-45 min drive.

21 hours ago, TA718 said:

What if you genuinely missed one work history that was years ago or just forgot when exactly you were hired for it etc. They wouldn’t make an exception? I’m just wondering cause not sure how many people have that perfect of a memory to remember back to when they finish high school. 

I was wondering the same thing

21 hours ago, TA718 said:

Overall the requirement is “Having one year of full-time work experience with one employer” so hopefully this is just something to make a big deal of because it’s earlier for “them”. Otherwise everyone would just list one job. Lol. Sounds strange tho. 

On 5/11/2022 at 3:57 AM, Surendra said:

How is that schoolcar training? How technical is it? Is it a pain in the ass to pass? Do you have a chance if you do not pass? Should I know anything before I start the training like the signals or do they teach you whatever you need to know? 

School car is what you make it...

That's the best answer i have ever gotten..

13 hours ago, trackerjack said:

It gets better..

I was XX for Five years as most of my classmates those days are gone...

That's a violation and the crew office needed to be notified (you got people who crew up jobs there who ARENT in RTO) so they need to be corrected informing them helps they'll change it.

The commute unfortunately nothing can be done about it as long they give you that time off between jobs.