ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, underground traveler said:

But also keep in mind that this exam was only the third open competitive exam for T/O position in transit history. Its been predominantly, promotional only for good reason.

If some folks keep screwing up(consistently) they'll do their best to keep it that way...

Getting past Schoolcar for new hires should be the hardest thing if you ask me...

Oh that and getting up to go to work lol...

39 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

If some folks keep screwing up(consistently) they'll do their best to keep it that way...

Getting past Schoolcar for new hires should be the hardest thing if you ask me...

What's annoying is that they talk as if only O/C T/O's keep messing up, but there are countless stories of T/O's hired before the O/C exams dropping the ball and only getting away with it bc people didn't use camera phones then.

And yes, there are numerous examples of O/C guys screwing up. But I know a promotional T/O in my induction who has a worse record than I do.

I've met a C/R who had gone to T/O and demoted himself back because he couldn't stop from hitting multiple homeballs.

There's the C/R who split multiple switches in CIY as well.

I took a promotional T/O with over 20 years as a student reposting on his pick job recently, and how he operated through flagging made me almost flip out.

It's not always as black and white as they show it.

3 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

What's annoying is that they talk as if only O/C T/O's keep messing up, but there are countless stories of T/O's hired before the O/C exams dropping the ball and only getting away with it bc people didn't use camera phones then.

And yes, there are numerous examples of O/C guys screwing up. But I know a promotional T/O in my induction who has a worse record than I do.

I've met a C/R who had gone to T/O and demoted himself back because he couldn't stop from hitting multiple homeballs.

I took a promotional T/O with over 20 years as a student reposting on his pick job recently, and how he operated through flagging made me almost flip out.

When you have close to 50 percent of operating titles with less than 6 years on the Job you get these things...

I was from one of the first OC classes in 2001 ill say this they are better Now than it was Then...

We was a bunch of hot messes...

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

the hardest thing is being XX.  being bounced everywhere and at random times.  i heard XX is a living hell for 4-5 sometimes 6 years?  i know 3 T/Os are quitting soon and going back to their old jobs because it's impacting their home/family life too much than they expected.  which i understand but.....it's sad u know?

34 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

the hardest thing is being XX.  being bounced everywhere and at random times.  i heard XX is a living hell for 4-5 sometimes 6 years?  i know 3 T/Os are quitting soon and going back to their old jobs because it's impacting their home/family life too much than they expected.  which i understand but.....it's sad u know?

What is XX? Does that mean you don't get to make your own schedule?

21 minutes ago, d4rkst4r said:

What is XX? Does that mean you don't get to make your own schedule?

Transit will make your schedule. Railroading is not easy on family life.

They will determine your tour and RDO up to a weekly basis. Example: If you're sent to the midnight tour, your first day of the week may report at 10pm at 207 St Terminal and your fifth day, you will report at 330am at Coney Island Stillwell Avenue terminal.

2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

And let me make something else clear: I've had my fair share of noticeable errors on the road too. But just b/c we are open competitive doesn't mean we're just all screwups.

2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Mannnn listen smh a lot of these people carrying on as if being a C/R or Cleaner makes you a better T/O than someone from O/C list. Again ME lol I don’t pay it any mind I know why I had my incidents I had, ask them though and they have all the excuses in the world because they know they can go back in title. All the real major incidents I heard about in school car and posting was from promotional people! 🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Transit will make your schedule. Railroading is not easy on family life.

They will determine your tour and RDO up to a weekly basis. Example: If you're sent to the midnight tour, your first day of the week may report at 10pm at 207 St Terminal and your fifth day, you will report at 330am at Coney Island Stillwell Avenue terminal.

That is brutal.  I'm wondering if this is really for me with that kind of schedule.  The pay, benefits, and pension seem to be worth it though.

28 minutes ago, d4rkst4r said:

That is brutal.  I'm wondering if this is really for me with that kind of schedule.  The pay, benefits, and pension seem to be worth it though.

The job certainly isn’t for everyone.

You need to evaluate for yourself if the long hours and random report & clearing locations will be something you can handle/work into your life. XX isn’t exactly hell, but it’s no cakewalk either, there are easy days and there are hard days.

Also, simply being off XX isn’t a magic flip of the switch where you suddenly have the best schedule for you, you can get stuck with an open job that reports/clears far from your home with hours that are completely foreign to you. The immediate benefit of being off XX is the increased predictability and structure in your work schedule.

Outside of schoolcar, you will not have weekends off for a good couple of years unless the crew office wills it during XX. You will, more likely than not, have to work major holidays. You will end up working some 12, 13, 14 hour days from sitting on board all day and getting placed into a full job or the railroad blowing up. You will end up traveling to and working every terminal in the city in your respective division, regardless of where you live. You will miss events/gatherings/celebrations in your life. You will have weeks where all you did was work, you’re exhausted and only want to sleep on your RDO’s. You will experience fatigue and boredom in this job, and you must do everything in your power to fight it so you can stay on point. There are better jobs out there.

However, you also will have a union backed job with a relatively low barrier of entry that allows you to easily tap 6 figures annually should you want to. You will receive a pension at the end of your years of service. You will receive a paycheck every 2 weeks, and checks from transit don’t bounce. You will have job security, more than the private sector or even the administrative end of the public sector because without the operational titles, the MTA lose revenue. You will receive benefits for you, your spouse, and your children. You will have a pretty cool job that can prove to be cathartic to other stresses in life; imagine cruising around under the city with all green signals, nobody to bother you, just you and your thoughts, peace and solitude. You will have avenues for progression if you figure T/O isn’t for you; take exams for TD, TSS, TW/O, if you don’t want to operate. There are much worse jobs out there.

Theres a reason so many people bitch and moan about the job, yet they’re still here collecting their paychecks. 
Do what’s best for you and your family, either take the job or don’t. If you do, come down here with eyes wide open. Know and expect the challenges everyone has brought up, then you’ll be pleasantly surprised when the easy days come. You’ll be pleasantly surprised that you’re able to get off XX and pick a job with a not so terrible schedule close to home after only 2-3 years of randomness. 

Take the time to carefully consider the pros & cons. I’m biased, so I would suggest you take the plunge, eat the shit sandwich for a few years then eat caviar for the rest of your life after. If you absolutely can’t afford to work a fluctuating schedule or can’t afford to work weekends/holidays; then unfortunately this job is not for you. Transit does give religious exemptions when it comes to scheduling, so if the reason you can’t work weekends is related to religion, they will work with you on that provided you give them proof.

I wish you the best of luck.

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

You need to evaluate for yourself if the long hours and random report & clearing locations will be something you can handle/work into your life. XX isn’t exactly hell, but it’s no cakewalk either, there are easy days and there are hard days.

Also, simply being off XX isn’t a magic flip of the switch where you suddenly have the best schedule for you, you can get stuck with an open job that reports/clears far from your home with hours that are completely foreign to you. The immediate benefit of being off XX is the increased predictability and structure in your work schedule.

Outside of schoolcar, you will not have weekends off for a good couple of years unless the crew office wills it during XX. You will, more likely than not, have to work major holidays. You will end up working some 12, 13, 14 hour days from sitting on board all day and getting placed into a full job or the railroad blowing up. You will end up traveling to and working every terminal in the city in your respective division, regardless of where you live. You will miss events/gatherings/celebrations in your life. You will have weeks where all you did was work, you’re exhausted and only want to sleep on your RDO’s. You will experience fatigue and boredom in this job, and you must do everything in your power to fight it so you can stay on point. There are better jobs out there.

However, you also will have a union backed job with a relatively low barrier of entry that allows you to easily tap 6 figures annually should you want to. You will receive a pension at the end of your years of service. You will receive a paycheck every 2 weeks, and checks from transit don’t bounce. You will have job security, more than the private sector or even the administrative end of the public sector because without the operational titles, the MTA lose revenue. You will receive benefits for you, your spouse, and your children. You will have a pretty cool job that can prove to be cathartic to other stresses in life; imagine cruising around under the city with all green signals, nobody to bother you, just you and your thoughts, peace and solitude. You will have avenues for progression if you figure T/O isn’t for you; take exams for TD, TSS, TW/O, if you don’t want to operate. There are much worse jobs out there.

Theres a reason so many people bitch and moan about the job, yet they’re still here collecting their paychecks. 
Do what’s best for you and your family, either take the job or don’t. If you do, come down here with eyes wide open. Know and expect the challenges everyone has brought up, then you’ll be pleasantly surprised when the easy days come. You’ll be pleasantly surprised that you’re able to get off XX and pick a job with a not so terrible schedule close to home after only 2-3 years of randomness. 

Take the time to carefully consider the pros & cons. I’m biased, so I would suggest you take the plunge, eat the shit sandwich for a few years then eat caviar for the rest of your life after. If you absolutely can’t afford to work a fluctuating schedule or can’t afford to work weekends/holidays; then unfortunately this job is not for you. Transit does give religious exemptions when it comes to scheduling, so if the reason you can’t work weekends is related to religion, they will work with you on that provided you give them proof.

Thank you for that! Very useful info for someone like myself who took a leave of absence from his current job and starting school 6/20. 

3 hours ago, dincena said:

Thank you for that! Very useful info for someone like myself who took a leave of absence from his current job and starting school 6/20. 

Another thing I would add is the health insurance is a hell of a lot better than what you'd get in the private sector. You can looked at the plans marked with TWU on the Aetna website. You'll be selecting which plan you'll want when you get to schoolcar. Though the dental and vision plan does could definitely be better.

10 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.  It was extremely helpful.  What do these mean: TD, TSS, TW/O? 

14 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

And let me make something else clear: I've had my fair share of noticeable errors on the road too. But just b/c we are open competitive doesn't mean we're just all screwups.

You Folks haven't heard anything  i can tell yall ALL some stories from my OC Class of 2001..

Some of them right now are TSSs heck one of em might be yours...

15 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Those days are over i was XX for Five years like most of my classmates..

Most folks will be picking in two years...

Yes you can get bounced around and yeah there will be tough days but it nothing and i mean NOTHING like how it was when i started in 2001.

44 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Those days are over i was XX for Five years like most of my classmates..

Most folks will be picking in two years...

Yes you can get bounced around and yeah there will be tough days but it nothing and i mean NOTHING like how it was when i started in 2001.

Yeah I agree I think from starting in 2018 I might have been XX for a year a half and even that wasn’t bad I just grabbed jobs off the vacancy bid. You have to do your research and make the best of your situation! I get it there will definitely be bad days but what job where you aren’t the CEO that don’t consist of bad days lol