ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

9 hours ago, iag48st said:

I live close to every terminal in the Bronx (10min avg commute) and I got pushed into B. 

this really sucks...... and there is no way around it.  i would have quit too honestly.  commuting time is life minutes u will never get back.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

this really sucks...... and there is no way around it.  i would have quit too honestly.  commuting time is life minutes u will never get back.

Especially with our long hours of work….

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

is work trains fun / easier?  or does it have its own annoyances?  work trains sounds amazing....no customers.....no worries over running a station!!

It has its own challenges, but it depends on the TO, it’s not for everyone.

However; what I will say is that almost all the TO’s I know that went to worktrains never came back to the road.

1 hour ago, iag48st said:

Especially with our long hours of work….

If you can, just suffer it for a few years, before you know it - you’ll be picking jobs out of the BX and Washington Heights.

Keep in mind that there are times where divisional transfer spots are available, even as XX. There are options.

Also, from my understanding, the commute from the BX to queens isn’t too bad compared to Brooklyn as long as you drive.

Edited by Jay-Oh

I'm in Queens and was placed in the A division.  My commute time is usually 1hr 40min to 2 hr to the Bronx yards then the same for going home.  In total around 4 hours of commuting each day.  It's honestly brutal.  The training it self doesn't make me tired, it's the commuting.  Every day I think about quitting. 

However, I tell myself that if I do make it out of school car that I'll move to somewhere in the Bronx.  I'm not sure if that is a good idea, but I'm sure that I'll have to report to the Brooklyn and Queens locations for jobs.  I honestly have no idea what to do, but I know that I cannot keep up this commute for long. 

15 minutes ago, mimic101 said:

I'm in Queens and was placed in the A division.  My commute time is usually 1hr 40min to 2 hr to the Bronx yards then the same for going home.  In total around 4 hours of commuting each day.  It's honestly brutal.  The training it self doesn't make me tired, it's the commuting.  Every day I think about quitting. 

However, I tell myself that if I do make it out of school car that I'll move to somewhere in the Bronx.  I'm not sure if that is a good idea, but I'm sure that I'll have to report to the Brooklyn and Queens locations for jobs.  I honestly have no idea what to do, but I know that I cannot keep up this commute for long. 

either move to bx for a div or transfer to the b div

2 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

either move to bx for a div or transfer to the b div

You can only transfer when you’re able to pick in the other division. Taking into account all the new hires… that’s going to be many years…….

2 hours ago, mimic101 said:

Moving to the Bronx or westchester will be the better plan. I’ve never had a job out of Brooklyn. Once in a blue I’ll get a job on the 7/3. 

6 minutes ago, iag48st said:

You can only transfer when you’re able to pick in the other division. Taking into account all the new hires… that’s going to be many years…….

Not true. Just put in a request before it's time to pick in whichever division you want to go to.

Edited by Jericho
Clarified.

17 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not true. Just put in a request before it's time to pick in whichever division you want to go to.

First time I’ve heard that. My whole CR class got drafted to B except for me because I was out sick during school. Almost four years later and a few of them are still unable to transfer over despite writing g2s, speaking to Supt etc.

Just now, iag48st said:

First time I’ve heard that. My whole CR class got drafted to B except for me because I was out sick during school. Almost four years later and a few of them are still unable to transfer over despite writing g2s, speaking to Supt etc.

You have to send an email to the pick office. Be on the lookout for the next memorandum about it before picking starts again.

You have to be able to pick in the division you are transferring to.

There are times when a division is so short that they ask for volunteers, and you can transfer as XX, but that doesn't happen often.

Otherwise, you can't transfer while being XX.

Edited by beanz

Just now, beanz said:

You have to be able to pick in the division you are transferring to.

There are times when a division is so short that they ask for volunteers, and you can transfer as XX, but that doesn't happen often.

Otherwise, you can't transfer while being XX.

Exactly. 

14 hours ago, mimic101 said:

Would driving make it easier ?

On 7/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, dincena said:

I was just inducted into the June 20th class. I made it into the B, alot of people behind me were forced into the A

Really? That surprises me. Usually it's the other way around. Some people in my induction who got the A were even put into the B after they had already almost finished schoolcar.

39 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

As of this week I have graduated schoolcar and I'm now officially an XX train operator. Thank you to everybody on this forum for the help. 

Amazing!! Congratulations brother! What division were you in and what was your class start date?

9 hours ago, Mikepro6 said:

Would driving make it easier ?

Driving early in the mornings isn't bad.  Finding parking can be tricky though.  The only issue with driving is going back in the afternoons and dealing with that rush hour traffic is rough.  Plus you have to pay for gas and with these prices it's insane.  As for now I am resigned to taking the train, BUT I am using those 4 hours to study. 

After you finish school car, you can submit a parking permit that takes about a month and a half to process according to my TSS and that will allow you to park in the MTA parking spaces.  Therefore, I am deciding between moving and getting car and in all honestly, I'd rather just move.  Both are expensive options, but moving for me is far more appealing.

3 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

As of this week I have graduated schoolcar and I'm now officially an XX train operator. Thank you to everybody on this forum for the help. 

Congratulations!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, mimic101 said:

permit that takes about a month and a half to process according to my TSS and that will allow you to park in the MTA parking spaces. 

You don't have to wait to finish schoolcar to apply for the parking permit. I did it way before i finished.

1 hour ago, mimic101 said:

Driving early in the mornings isn't bad.  Finding parking can be tricky though.  The only issue with driving is going back in the afternoons and dealing with that rush hour traffic is rough.  Plus you have to pay for gas and with these prices it's insane.  As for now I am resigned to taking the train, BUT I am using those 4 hours to study. 

After you finish school car, you can submit a parking permit that takes about a month and a half to process according to my TSS and that will allow you to park in the MTA parking spaces.  Therefore, I am deciding between moving and getting car and in all honestly, I'd rather just move.  Both are expensive options, but moving for me is far more appealing.

Congratulations!!!!!!

You can apply for the parking permit during school car, mine came pretty quick. There are also some yards that'll let you park inside without showing your permit, just need to show your pass.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:25 PM, trackerjack said:

is work trains fun / easier?  or does it have its own annoyances?  work trains sounds amazing....no customers.....no worries over running a station!!

Never getting to top pay - which still requires 238 days in revenue service.