ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

On 8/5/2022 at 6:05 AM, Imhim said:

I’m sure the times change and vary but when I started in 2018 we had school car M-F 7am-3pm. Some Fridays you have road days so you might start earlier. The weeks also change based on ya schedule which you will get once you start and are assigned TSS’s after you pick divisions. Your calendar they give you will have your start time and reporting locations for the entire school car. 

I wish it was still like this.  I'm in the A division and our schedule is 7am-3pm.  Our road days are in the middle on the week from 9am-5pm and then the next day a 7am start.  If you have a long commute the schedule is brutal. 

Last week on Saturday July 30th, we had our first practical on new tech.  Next week Saturday August 13 we have our second practical on SMEE and then our first signals midterm that following Monday.  The schedule is so condensed.  There is so much to know.  It feels demoralizing at times.  My group are doing very well, everyone passing the practice signals exams at the Sim and we all passed our practical.  But it still feels so condensed and like you have no time to absorb the stuff you're learning. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, mimic101 said:

I wish it was still like this.  I'm in the A division and our schedule is 7am-3pm.  Our road days are in the middle on the week from 9am-5pm and then the next day a 7am start.  If you have a long commute the schedule is brutal. 

Last week on Saturday July 30th, we had our first practical on new tech.  Next week Saturday August 13 we have our second practical on SMEE and then our first signals midterm that following Monday.  The schedule is so condensed.  There is so much to know.  It feels demoralizing at times.  My group are doing very well, everyone passing the practice signals exams at the Sim and we all passed our practical.  But it still feels so condensed and like you have no time to absorb the stuff you're learning. 

Cuts and adds on new tech...how nice of them lol

Don't worry, even if u don't think u are absorbing it, u are. I'm surprised at some of the stuff i still know. If you've gotten this far you will be fine.

You gotta think of all this as a 1000 piece puzzle. They just dropping pieces in front of u on the table that don't look like anything u know, but eventually the picture will start to take shape. Its overwhelming at first, but it really isn't difficult. Hang in there.

Edited by beanz

14 minutes ago, beanz said:

Cuts and adds on new tech...how nice of them lol

Don't worry, even if u don't think u are absorbing it, u are. I'm surprised at some of the stuff i still know. If you've gotten this far you will be fine.

You gotta think of all this as a 1000 piece puzzle. They just dropping pieces in front of u on the table that don't look like anything u know, but eventually the picture will start to take shape. Its overwhelming at first, but it really isn't difficult. Hang in there.

Appreciate the encouragement OG.  My group refuses to fail and we've been working hard together so we're all on the same page.  At least we have that going for us and I am blessed lucky to be in group that I am. 

Just now, mimic101 said:

Appreciate the encouragement OG.  My group refuses to fail and we've been working hard together so we're all on the same page.  At least we have that going for us and I am blessed lucky to be in group that I am. 

Having a good group is huge. shared information, venting, and just talking about the small stuff once you are out on your own really helps. Think of it as a support group for the bad times and just friends to celebrate the good and don't let the end of schoolcar be the end of the chat.

I encourage everybody coming in now to make sure whatever class u get into, get those numbers as soon as u know who your classmates are and form those group chats. there's always going to be people who want no parts of it, but everybody doesn't have to be in it. They are a major tool in your success.

55 minutes ago, mimic101 said:

Stick through it trust it’s gonna all make sense when you come out on your own. Operating is the best way to put everything together! Wish they gave us more train time in school car. Good luck and keep thinking positive!!!

8 hours ago, Newyork4 said:

Wish ppl stop wasting other ppls times and opportunity for this job, for those that actually want the job and those getting called and leaving. Bad enough transit takes a sh!t long time to contact you, This is not a cake walk 9 -5 ,, ya be all over the place with no time for personal time unless you become a senior  senior employee. TRY LIRR or Metro North all ya be crying , Rto subways is cake. Stop wasting people's time for those that are dedicated and willing to do the job. 

Eh I get you being frustrated BUT if the opportunity presents itself, and it’s your turn on the list, you’re gonna wanna take it to see if it’s for you or not. Don’t get me wrong, you should know whether it’s for you or not in the first few months, but it takes some people longer. And to be fair, unless you work in transit already, there is no way to know or predict what this job entails until you’re in training for it. I don’t think it’s a waste of time because who is going to want to miss a great opportunity and sit back and wonder if they made a mistake not going for the job without trying? 

18 hours ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

Eh I get you being frustrated BUT if the opportunity presents itself, and it’s your turn on the list, you’re gonna wanna take it to see if it’s for you or not. Don’t get me wrong, you should know whether it’s for you or not in the first few months, but it takes some people longer. And to be fair, unless you work in transit already, there is no way to know or predict what this job entails until you’re in training for it. I don’t think it’s a waste of time because who is going to want to miss a great opportunity and sit back and wonder if they made a mistake not going for the job without trying? 

Considering the mindset of some of these young folk out here i see it myself first hand...

They aren't going to care until they see them bills plie up and that job they thought was the answer for TA..

Wasn't the answer....

21 hours ago, mimic101 said:

You'll get it have faith in yourself...

As my Motor Instructors said to us looking all bewildered(all open competitive never operated a train in their lives) way back in 2001...

"This Job isn't rocket science but in the beginning it will LOOK like it"...

They was right...

20 hours ago, beanz said:

Having a good group is huge. shared information, venting, and just talking about the small stuff once you are out on your own really helps. Think of it as a support group for the bad times and just friends to celebrate the good and don't let the end of schoolcar be the end of the chat.

I encourage everybody coming in now to make sure whatever class u get into, get those numbers as soon as u know who your classmates are and form those group chats. there's always going to be people who want no parts of it, but everybody doesn't have to be in it. They are a major tool in your success.

That's exactly what we did we all got our numbers shared info had study groups(on our own time) and it worked out great... 

We actually made a complete listing of every line in the A Div, all the points of no return, timers, fast stations, train types how they operate(R62 1345 WE ALL HATED) anything quirky made copies and shared it amongst ourselves.. 

"Your classmates will be your best friends down here never forget them"

I havent..

We all shared a bond being open competitive, and seeing the dislike we had it just made us all bond together more...

On 8/6/2022 at 6:32 AM, Keikyu Motorman said:

There were perfectly viable XL and RDO jobs on the second vacancy list that went unawarded...

True i noticed that too.  I thinks its  because a lot of new XX people don't wanna bother with it. Maybe they got what they wanted on the preference sheet and they are hoping the crew office will keep them on these tours and RDOs. Other people don't see XL as any better than XX so they don't bother. Then some people bid but they only bid on super senior jobs that they have no chance of getting. 

On 8/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, mimic101 said:

Hey don't feel demoralized bro, I'm in the class ahead of you and we are currently YX. The more you work on your own the more confident you'll feel operating, things are going to start clicking. At the end of my shift on Friday I was asked to take a light train for a replacement from Church Ave to Jamaica Yard and back via the F line. I was nervous at first trying to remember where to announce myself and punch, but now I feel a lot more confident. It's not as bad as some people think.

2 hours ago, rondread445 said:

Hey don't feel demoralized bro, I'm in the class ahead of you and we are currently YX. The more you work on your own the more confident you'll feel operating, things are going to start clicking. At the end of my shift on Friday I was asked to take a light train for a replacement from Church Ave to Jamaica Yard and back via the F line. I was nervous at first trying to remember where to announce myself and punch, but now I feel a lot more confident. It's not as bad as some people think.

I worked with a YX person in the Yard last week man knew his stuff.. Right mindset at that...

6 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

True i noticed that too.  I thinks its  because a lot of new XX people don't wanna bother with it. Maybe they got what they wanted on the preference sheet and they are hoping the crew office will keep them on these tours and RDOs. Other people don't see XL as any better than XX so they don't bother. Then some people bid but they only bid on super senior jobs that they have no chance of getting. 

If i had a chance to keep my RDOs considering how the crew office is and with new folks coming out..

Id get off that XX as soon as i could, with set days off you can plan things...

S/S or S/M or F/S(Lets be honest that's what they most want) isn't a safe bet.

Edited by RTOMan

On 8/5/2022 at 11:46 AM, beanz said:

It's been said before but i hope all of u coming in have your expectations of the job set correctly. There's been a lot of talk of new people quitting deep into training or after they complete it.

XX life is tough, especially if you have little kids, but remember that the sacrifice is FOR them and for yourself. Just push through and before you know it you'll have some stability. You just have to find your niche and what works for you and the job can be a great job.

Training is tough but very doable. Being extra extra is tougher but also doable if your head is in the right place. Remember that nothing great comes easy. Time moves on regardless and in 5 years do u want to be saying "man i wish i had stayed at that transit job" or do u want to be saying "I'm so glad i stayed". 

PEOPLE LISTEN TO THE VETS ON THE JOB... if your really about making a life, push through focus and focus. THIS JOB is that place. If you happen to know any TO speak with them, ask them questions see if they'll let you peak at their "bible" anything to solidify yourself. This opportunity is not to be taken for granted. They make you jump through hoops and have a slow process for a reason. It actually weeds out the half steppers BUT once your on and working, there is another phase you will go through and your going to question your decision, again this is about testing what your made of. If your not built like that OR don't have the "bigger picture" mindset your gonna fold. Dig deep, focus and learn, also don't be a " I'm not here to make friends" type. Dealing everyday with the general public is already tough and the misery loves company crowd are everywhere. A Good Morning or kind spirit goes a long way down there and know that ONE DAY someone you spoke too and have built a genuine bond with could turn out to be that person who could help you in a situation that you would't otherwise know how to handle.  

7 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

I think some people just don't understand how the bids work, some of the jobs available may not actually work well for them, and some people have relatively lucky with the crew office. And yes, there are some swinging for the fences for jobs that they'll *never* get. As for XL, I think the problem is that the way the districts are split, they're not ideal. Queens is a gamble with jobs on the G, stuff at 95th St, or Stillwell Fox jobs for example. Or the South uptown reports for somebody that's walking distance to Stillwell. Even in the A, there isn't an easy way to pick a district without the risk of working on the dreaded 1 or 6. 

OTOH, confirmed RDOs make life a lot easier.

28 minutes ago, ealfinez said:

PEOPLE LISTEN TO THE VETS ON THE JOB... if your really about making a life, push through focus and focus. THIS JOB is that place. If you happen to know any TO speak with them, ask them questions see if they'll let you peak at their "bible" anything to solidify yourself. This opportunity is not to be taken for granted. They make you jump through hoops and have a slow process for a reason. It actually weeds out the half steppers BUT once your on and working, there is another phase you will go through and your going to question your decision, again this is about testing what your made of. If your not built like that OR don't have the "bigger picture" mindset your gonna fold. Dig deep, focus and learn, also don't be a " I'm not here to make friends" type. Dealing everyday with the general public is already tough and the misery loves company crowd are everywhere. A Good Morning or kind spirit goes a long way down there and know that ONE DAY someone you spoke too and have built a genuine bond with could turn out to be that person who could help you in a situation that you would't otherwise know how to handle.  

If one don't come down here jaded from all the negative nellies, Debbie downers they see all over the book and choose what works for them they'll be fine...

Ill help anyone who asks or needs it...

Those "Know it alls" or "Yeah i got this" type of mindset ill pass..

Ill let PS 248 or 2 Broadway deal with those types, they serving up humble pie often in those places...

34 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

I think some people just don't understand how the bids work, some of the jobs available may not actually work well for them, and some people have relatively lucky with the crew office. And yes, there are some swinging for the fences for jobs that they'll *never* get. As for XL, I think the problem is that the way the districts are split, they're not ideal. Queens is a gamble with jobs on the G, stuff at 95th St, or Stillwell Fox jobs for example. Or the South uptown reports for somebody that's walking distance to Stillwell. Even in the A, there isn't an easy way to pick a district without the risk of working on the dreaded 1 or 6. 

OTOH, confirmed RDOs make life a lot easier.

yeah I agree. That's why I just went for XL without worrying about the days off. Having set days off help me set time for a mini vacation too by taking a couple of AVA around my weekend. 

9 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

Yeah I was the only conductor in my class to win something a week out of school car because I was going for XL. Some sweet jobs are almost impossible to get with our seniority. But XL can be good cause I was able to pick the North which is way closer to my home. Starting off, the best thing to do is try to make your commute as easy as possible! 

On 7/30/2022 at 10:25 AM, FilippoSironi said:

oh wow! They are really making you redo the whole schoolcar although you just graduated a few months ago?? Maybe they just make you take a refresher course? 

So I had someone from the employment office tell me even after being reinstated to the list I won’t get called again until next year because I’m not on the current DCAS list they received. I’m trying Ms Olha and emailing DCAS back to see if this was accurate cuz that would suck if it is true. 

16 hours ago, JDS1057 said:

So I had someone from the employment office tell me even after being reinstated to the list I won’t get called again until next year because I’m not on the current DCAS list they received. I’m trying Ms Olha and emailing DCAS back to see if this was accurate cuz that would suck if it is true. 

wth so now you have no job until next year?

5 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

wth so now you have no job until next year?

I’m hoping someone from DCAS or Olha gets back to me, I mean I’m still with my old job and I can stay here long term if I wanted to but I don’t want to lol they not giving me anymore bonuses and no retirement package either. So worst case I can wait it out but still was hoping to get back to TO this year 

Hey I am almost finish with my 30 days with cpap for the conductor position. But at the same time I’ve been called in for the train operator pre employment process when I submit the report can I request them to change me to that position instead