ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TCart said:

Do we have to wear our boots we got from the allowance the first week at Ps 248 ? Because if the first week is going to be pretty much paper work I’m thinking we can wear any black boots correct ? 

As soon as you get the boots in the mail you must wear them right away, they're part of your uniform. 

@Schecter thank you. And first day at the school can we bring our Bag with our supplies in it ? I personally have a KaKa bag with the straps that can be hidden packed with materials I think I would need. But the paper says no backpacks or bag with wheels allowed. Just wondering if that specific bag is allowed since I can carry it in hand ? 

9 hours ago, TCart said:

@Schecter thank you. And first day at the school can we bring our Bag with our supplies in it ? I personally have a KaKa bag with the straps that can be hidden packed with materials I think I would need. But the paper says no backpacks or bag with wheels allowed. Just wondering if that specific bag is allowed since I can carry it in hand ? 

You can bring any bag you want they won't say anything.

I don't want to say this here but i will..

Listen Folks some of the new people aren't taking this job serious and they are finding themselves on the unemployment Line..

LOTS of operational incidents and some of them think "Oh im new they let me slide"...

NO they WONT...

If there something wrong with the train you don't feel right call it in let them figure it out we aren't RCIs here..

Please don't think "I'm a TO now i can adjust" next thing you know there's a incident and you'll say "There was something not right" They'll  just say "You should have called it in"..

Make sure as a TO you are aware of the proper stop car marker for the Line you are operating on especially with trains that have enablers(There's been incidents of TO overrunning or stopping short Doors being opened) there's a good chance some of ya'll are going to be working with fresh out of Schoolcar CRs so look out for each other, You are a team...

Edited by RTOMan

3 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

I don't want to say this here but i will..

Listen Folks some of the new people aren't taking this job serious and they are finding themselves on the unemployment Line..

LOTS of operational incidents and some of them think "Oh im new they let me slide"...

NO they WONT...

If there something wrong with the train you don't feel right call it in let them figure it out we aren't RCIs here..

Please don't think "I'm a TO now i can adjust" next thing you know there's a incident and you'll say "There was something not right" They'll  just say "You should have called it in"..

Make sure as a TO you are aware of the proper stop car marker for the Line you are operating on especially with trains that have enablers(There's been incidents of TO overrunning or stopping short Doors being opened) there's a good chance some of ya'll are going to be working with fresh out of Schoolcar CRs so look out for each other, You are a team...

Some people not taking the job seriously ? Cool. I will !!! Call me for my medical !!!

11 minutes ago, Amonroe90 said:

Some people not taking the job seriously ? Cool. I will !!! Call me for my medical !!!

There a reason why they are up so high in that List and its not just people "quitting in masse" as the crew room lawyers have been saying...

TA str up terminating folks...

I wonder if people are getting enough operating time with the larger classes and shorter schoolcar schedules. A lot of students have been dropping the handle or pulling it too far and going BIE in service while posting. It's been happening so often a lot of people don't want to take students to avoid the aggravation. Speaks to a lack of familiarity with the master controller because by the time you are road posting you should at least be comfortable with it.

Edited by beanz

2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

there's a good chance some of ya'll are going to be working with fresh out of Schoolcar CRs so look out for each other, You are a team...

There's a reason why I suggest looking at your conductor's name when you sign in. Write it down if you can remember it just in case, and it tells you if he or she is probationary as well. At some point, find them and see if they're seasoned or brand new. I've had times where I was a few months out of schoolcar, but I was the *senior* crew member on the train.

3 hours ago, beanz said:

I wonder if people are getting enough operating time with the larger classes and shorter schoolcar schedules. A lot of students have been dropping the handle or pulling it too far and going BIE in service while posting. It's been happening so often a lot of people don't want to take students to avoid the aggravation. Speaks to a lack of familiarity with the master controller because by the time you are road posting you should at least be comfortable with it.

Definitely not enough operating time in schoolcar. We had some road days but half our road days were canceled. Road ops you do only like 8 station stops a day. Not enough. The real familiarization is happening during road posting and that's why a lot of people are making these mistakes in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, TOSironi said:

Definitely not enough operating time in schoolcar. We had some road days but half our road days were canceled. Road ops you do only like 8 station stops a day. Not enough. The real familiarization is happening during road posting and that's why a lot of people are making these mistakes in my opinion. 

You are absolutely correct about not enough operating time in school car.  We have two weeks of Road Operations, then only 3 weeks of Road Posting and 1 week of CBTC training.  A lot of students in my class and sister classes are super nervous because of the lacking of training time.  The pressure is insane especially when you hear the reports of all the other incidents that have been happening to other classes that have not even been out that long.  I really don't know what to say, but I can't imagine management is shocked at how many people are making mistakes when they have condensed the training so much.

The pressure, lack of sleep, consistently different schedule every day... like... what did they think was going to happen?

Edited by mimic101

You will have a good chance to learn on how to operate in customer service when you're road posting. 3 weeks is not really enough. They should do more road posting and way less yard posting , yard familiarization,  yx...since I've been out I haven't been in the yards except for put in and lay ups. Luckily once you're out they will keep on the sake tour and rdos for the most part so your sleep schedule should be better than posting and yx (when they change your tour every week). IMHO 1 week of cbtc training is too long...you can learn to operate in cbtc in a day or 2 I think a week in a class is unnecessary.  More road posting in general would be way more helpful l.

Edited by TOSironi

13 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

There's a reason why I suggest looking at your conductor's name when you sign in. Write it down if you can remember it just in case, and it tells you if he or she is probationary as well. At some point, find them and see if they're seasoned or brand new. I've had times where I was a few months out of schoolcar, but I was the *senior* crew member on the train.

how do you find ur conductor's name? LOL! i'm laughing cuz i just sign in without looking for my partner's name.  is he/she on the right side of where i sign in or i have to look for his/her name on the sign in sheet too?? just look for my job #?

15 hours ago, RTOMan said:

There a reason why they are up so high in that List and its not just people "quitting in masse" as the crew room lawyers have been saying...

TA str up terminating folks...

are they really firing folks?  cuz none of my colleagues have gotten fired and they keep getting into mishaps.  also i've heard from the crew rooms that a TO derailed and nothing happened to him.......or is it not YET!!! ???

42 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

how do you find ur conductor's name? LOL! i'm laughing cuz i just sign in without looking for my partner's name.  is he/she on the right side of where i sign in or i have to look for his/her name on the sign in sheet too?? just look for my job #?

Um, generally, if your conductor reports the same time as you, then s/he should be above or below your name.....................................

7 hours ago, trackerjack said:

are they really firing folks?  cuz none of my colleagues have gotten fired and they keep getting into mishaps.  also i've heard from the crew rooms that a TO derailed and nothing happened to him.......or is it not YET!!! ???

Trust me they are...

22 hours ago, beanz said:

Those types of mistakes i really think they can understand file it under chit happens...

Some of The major ones running homesignals, splitting switches, excessive speed through work zones are the ones that are getting folks fired.