ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

9 hours ago, trackerjack said:

how do you find ur conductor's name? LOL! i'm laughing cuz i just sign in without looking for my partner's name.  is he/she on the right side of where i sign in or i have to look for his/her name on the sign in sheet too?? just look for my job #?

Lol literally above or underneath you. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, beanz said:

I wonder if people are getting enough operating time with the larger classes and shorter schoolcar schedules. A lot of students have been dropping the handle or pulling it too far and going BIE in service while posting. It's been happening so often a lot of people don't want to take students to avoid the aggravation. Speaks to a lack of familiarity with the master controller because by the time you are road posting you should at least be comfortable with it.

Eh, road posting is when someone finally starts learning how to operate and it's always been where people make mistakes. Maybe people can get a bit more comfortable operating when YX was longer, but it's still nothing like being on the road and road ops has always been a joke.

Damn it really sucks to be hearing people having incidents, just don’t let the incidents get to you! Stayed focused and operate as you were trained, mixed with what you learn road posting! None of us were born train operators and anyone down here who acts like they’ve never had an incident is a straight up bozo! The job gets better with time! If this is what you want of course!

On 10/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, beanz said:

I wonder if people are getting enough operating time with the larger classes and shorter schoolcar schedules. A lot of students have been dropping the handle or pulling it too far and going BIE in service while posting. It's been happening so often a lot of people don't want to take students to avoid the aggravation. Speaks to a lack of familiarity with the master controller because by the time you are road posting you should at least be comfortable with it.

Today some superintendents spoke to my class. They basically said we arent robots and they expect us to make mistakes bc we are new. Just be honest. They made a point to mention dropping of the handle and if it happens be honest and its okay if you drop the handle. 

11 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Those types of mistakes i really think they can understand file it under chit happens...

Some of The major ones running homesignals, splitting switches, excessive speed through work zones are the ones that are getting folks fired.

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

Eh, road posting is when someone finally starts learning how to operate and it's always been where people make mistakes. Maybe people can get a bit more comfortable operating when YX was longer, but it's still nothing like being on the road and road ops has always been a joke.

4 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Today some superintendents spoke to my class. They basically said we arent robots and they expect us to make mistakes bc we are new. Just be honest. They made a point to mention dropping of the handle and if it happens be honest and its okay if you drop the handle. 

The dropping of the handle is definitely not a big deal at all but i just think it speaks to a lack of familiarity with operating that u should have by the time u get to posting. Not that u should be super familiar but at least comfortable putting the handle to full service without looking down and that kind of thing because u have already moved the train enough times in the yard and during road ops. That's why I question the schedule because i know YX was cut down and that the classes got larger again so if there's less road op days on the calendar, each student isn't operating as much. 

But yea i have heard of some major incidents too and i just hope people can clean that up because there's no worse feeling than sitting there handing in your tools and pass. 

Man I’m loving the feeling of everything so far right now but lawd they are throwing books and packets at us left to right. I’m not even sure what to really study and what is most important to be able to pass these midterms practicals and finals. If anyone have suggestions on what to actually study so I won’t overwhelm myself that would really help. Cause I’m pretty sure we can’t store all this information in at once. So I need to know the main/important stuff to actually go over when I get home. Thanks I’m advance 

19 minutes ago, TCart said:

Man I’m loving the feeling of everything so far right now but lawd they are throwing books and packets at us left to right. I’m not even sure what to really study and what is most important to be able to pass these midterms practicals and finals. If anyone have suggestions on what to actually study so I won’t overwhelm myself that would really help. Cause I’m pretty sure we can’t store all this information in at once. So I need to know the main/important stuff to actually go over when I get home. Thanks I’m advance 

What I would do is study base on what the syllabus has for the current week. For example if this week you're having to do cuts and adds on a smee or a ntt then study that. The first practical is on preparing a train for a yard move and cuts and adds, so study that. Also you need to incorporate signals of course because how can you move a train without knowing the signals and what they mean. 

14 hours ago, beanz said:

The dropping of the handle is definitely not a big deal at all but i just think it speaks to a lack of familiarity with operating that u should have by the time u get to posting. Not that u should be super familiar but at least comfortable putting the handle to full service without looking down and that kind of thing because u have already moved the train enough times in the yard and during road ops. That's why I question the schedule because i know YX was cut down and that the classes got larger again so if there's less road op days on the calendar, each student isn't operating as much. 

But yea i have heard of some major incidents too and i just hope people can clean that up because there's no worse feeling than sitting there handing in your tools and pass. 

it's not THAT BAD......   you can keep your BOOTS though!!!!!!!  :) 

18 hours ago, thegameksk said:

yo do NOT drop the handle like do NOT drop the soap lol  no seriously. dont drop the handle. it's bad.  (u will learn sometimes its best to keep it Fred Durst)  "keep rolling rolling rolling rolling."

I went in yesterday for Medical/2nd drug test.  I passed medical but they said they will notify me when to come in for final processing.  Anyone else have this happen to them? If so, how long after did you receive a call or email to come in for fingerprinting etc? I am supposed to be in the Oct 31st training class if all goes well.  I assume this happened because the drug test expired and they need to get that cleared first before giving the go?

2 hours ago, jimmyg410 said:

I went in yesterday for Medical/2nd drug test.  I passed medical but they said they will notify me when to come in for final processing.  Anyone else have this happen to them? If so, how long after did you receive a call or email to come in for fingerprinting etc? I am supposed to be in the Oct 31st training class if all goes well.  I assume this happened because the drug test expired and they need to get that cleared first before giving the go?

What list number are you?

21 hours ago, TCart said:

What division did you end up picking? One of the guys near me is returning from leave and he was telling some of us that by the time we take the signals test we would have heard the signals they are focusing on over and over again.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:38 AM, trackerjack said:

are they really firing folks?  cuz none of my colleagues have gotten fired and they keep getting into mishaps.  also i've heard from the crew rooms that a TO derailed and nothing happened to him.......or is it not YET!!! ???

I've seen a few people getting fired so far. And some people getting platform time and probation extended and so on. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, Vinnypatron said:

Hey guy, still waiting to get called for medical :( I hate waiting really excited to start. Does anybody know the subject to the email when you get called for medical? Do they also call you like the did with pre employment 

I feel the same way. I'm waiting to see if I passed the first part to see if I get the medical email. Also worried that I had past violations on my license that are all cleared.

Hello does anyone know who I can contact about me being on the list for train operator? I was on the list for track worker and it canvassed so now I am on this list. My list number was 27** for track worker. Does anyone have anybody email or phone number I can contact 

1 hour ago, kinks007 said:

Hello does anyone know who I can contact about me being on the list for train operator? I was on the list for track worker and it canvassed so now I am on this list. My list number was 27** for track worker. Does anyone have anybody email or phone number I can contact 

Use the search function to find your name.

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/widgets/a9md-ynri?

Edited by Jericho

2 hours ago, Gullys said:

Hello everyone I was at p.s 248 my Schoolcar TSS told me  they only hiring about 40 people and also next month too

something like that not like my induction with like 100+ people 

Finished my final signal exam Friday wasn’t bad 

stay focus guys 

Maybe it’s 40 heads per class ??