ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

6 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

You can actually go further than that before taking a brake depending on the train, but for the sanity of the new people, it’s always best to brake when comfortable and adjust from there.

i wishi can brake at the 6-8 car marker.  but no bawls.  none.   do you really shave that much time off the stop if u brake post-conductor's board?

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, just got this email for anyone wondering about list numbers.

MTA New York City Transit is considering you for a position as a Train Operator from Exam 7604, List 61XX and invites you to our facility at 180 Livingston Street (between Smith and Hoyt Streets), 5th floor on 11/22/2022 at 6:30:00 AM to start the pre-employment process.

My neighbor received a phone call  and email from MTA to report to 180 Livingston. About a year ago, they suffered a amputation is currently in rehab on the road to recovery with a prosthetic leg.

Would having the prosthetic instantly disqualify them ? or since the job is mostly sitting while using your hands mostly, would that not be a factor ? I told them to still go, cause in the email, it stated that ....."Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with a disability to enable him or her to take the examination, and/or to perform the essential functions of the job"  What is the MTA hiring process for ones with disabilities ?

9 hours ago, arestab said:

Today, just got this email for anyone wondering about list numbers.

MTA New York City Transit is considering you for a position as a Train Operator from Exam 7604, List 61XX and invites you to our facility at 180 Livingston Street (between Smith and Hoyt Streets), 5th floor on 11/22/2022 at 6:30:00 AM to start the pre-employment process.

I was just going to say how they skip me. Lol. I’m out of the country but I see they sent my email yesterday. One step closer. List #59XX. I go on Nov 16. I have a work thing that day but this trumps that.

1 hour ago, StepInStandClear said:

My neighbor received a phone call  and email from MTA to report to 180 Livingston. About a year ago, they suffered a amputation is currently in rehab on the road to recovery with a prosthetic leg.

Would having the prosthetic instantly disqualify them ? or since the job is mostly sitting while using your hands mostly, would that not be a factor ? I told them to still go, cause in the email, it stated that ....."Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with a disability to enable him or her to take the examination, and/or to perform the essential functions of the job"  What is the MTA hiring process for ones with disabilities ?

That's rough. We have a TSS down here who came as a c/r with a partially missing arm. So no, a disability wouldn't disqualify you off the bat. Not to mention running afoul of established laws against discriminating against the physically handicapped.

But as a train operator you will have to climb up and down trains and between them as regular duties. And walking the structure is way more common. It's tricky.

10 hours ago, trackerjack said:

i wishi can brake at the 6-8 car marker.  but no bawls.  none.   do you really shave that much time off the stop if u brake post-conductor's board?

probably not much. I take a min brake entering the station every time and I'm still on schedule most of the time. So to me it's not worth the risk of a station overrun. Maybe once I have more experience and I'm not on probation I'll try starting to brake later.

12 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Not much, even if you’re running hot they’ll just hold you at gap stations anyway. It’s honestly more of an adrenaline / skill test thing than anything else in my opinion. Transit doesn’t pay me more to be fast; if anything it helps them justify cutting jobs.

I'm comfortable enough to take timers at their posted speed, but that's because i have been on the same 2 lines(A, C) for the better part of a year. I know the timers well and i know which ones not to test. I make up all the time i need to make up by taking gt35s at 35 instead of 28 as is recommended by the majority of the folks down here.

With station stops I'm more conservative given my history lol. I don't think coming in at 35 and braking at the CR board saves u that much time, at least not more than taking timers at the speed posted.

Even with all that, they just gonna hold u outside the terminal anyway. That's fine with me cause when they gap me i just use it as a pit stop to stretch and drink some water. 

Edited by beanz

3 minutes ago, JPkim1130 said:

Orientation is 8am to 4pm ??  8hrs long??
Do you need to wear dark grey and dark navy pants for zoom meeting?
Or I can wear just regular clothing?

zoom meeting wear whatever you want ( or dont wear since u dont have to turn on your camera on the zoom meeting)  :)

Also, would someone be able to explain the change in pay?

The original posting says "current minimum salary is $32.51", the above posting says "Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81", but when I look at my list number the salary listed next to my name is "37.49", can someone clarify ? New to this-- thank you :)

5 hours ago, arestab said:

Also, would someone be able to explain the change in pay?

The original posting says "current minimum salary is $32.51", the above posting says "Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81", but when I look at my list number the salary listed next to my name is "37.49", can someone clarify ? New to this-- thank you :)

The original posting wasn't updated from 2016 I think. The starting pay is 37.49 and it goes to 39 once you finish schoolcar, then I believe 39.90 after 230 something days on the road. 

1 hour ago, drob said:

Hello guys  just got the letter to start the preemployment  process , appointment is 11/9.  Do I need to do the drug/alcohol test on my own before the appointment date? thanks 

Nope, you will be doing the drug test over at 180 Livingston street on your scheduled date.

10 hours ago, Joeycuz21 said:

Was concerned about past driving records and being qualified.  .  Could anyone describe a list of violations and how long on driving record.  

I don't think they really care much as long as you don't have probably anything too crazy and make sure all tickets are paid off.

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I don't think they really care much as long as you don't have probably anything too crazy and make sure all tickets are paid off.

I’m guessing what they’re looking for are DWI, or DUAI, which I can see would raise a huge red flag working amongst the metropolitan transit system.