ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, NewOP718 said:

What’s Sub C and is it a desirable division or are you guys being sarcastic lol

"Sub C" is Work Trains. Don't worry about if until you're two years out of schoolcar. :-)

Some people love it and throw away their brake handles, a few people try it out, hate it, and run right back to the road. I was drafted and did the posting and didn't like it, but after doing it, I have even more respect for the motormen who stay in it. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NewOP718 said:

What’s Sub C and is it a desirable division or are you guys being sarcastic lol

People who go to work trains do one of two things. 
Either they never go back to the road, or they go back to the road immediately. It’s not for everybody. 

14 hours ago, trackerjack said:

do you have a current job at the moment?  are you seriously unhappy where you are? (current job)

there are things to consider once you get the 'call'

Yes i work for the post office currently and who likes working at the post office lol i want this job because of the pay and benefits just like anybody else 

55 minutes ago, Nyhoneydip said:

Yes i work for the post office currently and who likes working at the post office lol i want this job because of the pay and benefits just like anybody else 

That’s funny I work at the Westchester p&dc myself for the last 17 yrs and am leaving for this TO position myself!! 

1 hour ago, Nyhoneydip said:

Right! We all want more money and better benefits and the post office is not providing that 🤣

Damn everybody trying to leave the Post Office. lol. The MTA hiring processing is really long and tedious. Great money and benefits but we cant bullshit like how we can at the Post Office. lol

3 hours ago, misslo said:

Damn everybody trying to leave the Post Office. lol. The MTA hiring processing is really long and tedious. Great money and benefits but we cant bullshit like how we can at the Post Office. lol

That's the only thing ima miss lol I'm at work right now chilling 😩 i just know it won't be like that with mta but idc the money is worth it 

4 minutes ago, Nyhoneydip said:

That's the only thing ima miss lol I'm at work right now chilling 😩 i just know it won't be like that with mta but idc the money is worth it 

Once u get comfortable operating a train, that time is a breeze. Becomes monotonous and boring because it's so easy. So even though u operating, in a way u are just chillin. The hardest part of this job is the commute to work and the commute home when u don't have any set schedule or location, but once u have the seniority to have some consistency, shit is not hard work in my opinion. I been working days off for some extra Christmas money and leave time and i never did that for any job before. Just come in, bang out your 2 or 3 trips and sign out n go home. Easy breezy. All about perspective. Some people are just a little spoiled and never worked any actual hard jobs before so this seems like a lot but I've done it all from delivering papers to driving 2 hours to Connecticut to deliver frozen foods to standing on my feet 8 hours doing security. This is one of the easiest jobs I've had.

Edited by beanz

3 hours ago, beanz said:

I been working days off for some extra Christmas money and leave time and i never did that for any job before

In contrast, I've been here three years, and I've yet to do an RDO. The opportunity costs were lower at my old job as it was 15 minutes away from home, I basically goofed off at the desk, and I could work a quick 4 to 5 hours and go home. An RDO is basically a long commute + doing actual work even if it's on the line that you've picked and know super well.

8 hours ago, beanz said:

Once u get comfortable operating a train, that time is a breeze. Becomes monotonous and boring because it's so easy. So even though u operating, in a way u are just chillin. The hardest part of this job is the commute to work and the commute home when u don't have any set schedule or location, but once u have the seniority to have some consistency, shit is not hard work in my opinion. I been working days off for some extra Christmas money and leave time and i never did that for any job before. Just come in, bang out your 2 or 3 trips and sign out n go home. Easy breezy. All about perspective. Some people are just a little spoiled and never worked any actual hard jobs before so this seems like a lot but I've done it all from delivering papers to driving 2 hours to Connecticut to deliver frozen foods to standing on my feet 8 hours doing security. This is one of the easiest jobs I've had.

You are so right in your comment about some folk probably never worked liked this before hence the rotten whiny attitudes.. I worked for (in no order)UPS USPS delivered furniture, pumped gas, delivered groceries, delivered newspapers.. Was even a messenger all of the above jobs was harder than what I’m doing now… Oh I forgot I was a plumbers Apprentice for five years before I graduated to a full journeyman for two years before TA called I gave that up to come down here..So when I here the whining or see it on Facebook like this job is the worse on the planet  I just shake my head and keep on trucking.. If those whining so much can do better they wouldn’t be here and that’s a fact…

5 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

In contrast, I've been here three years, and I've yet to do an RDO. The opportunity costs were lower at my old job as it was 15 minutes away from home, I basically goofed off at the desk, and I could work a quick 4 to 5 hours and go home. An RDO is basically a long commute + doing actual work even if it's on the line that you've picked and know super well.

For me i live close to both Bedford park and 207, so i pick something in the AMs (i regularly work PMs) on my second RDO and just do it while the family is at work n school. No long commute and I'll pick a line i love like the B and the day flies by. 

21 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

You are so right in your comment about some folk probably never worked liked this before hence the rotten whiny attitudes.. I worked for (in no order)UPS USPS delivered furniture, pumped gas, delivered groceries, delivered newspapers.. Was even a messenger all of the above jobs was harder than what I’m doing now… Oh I forgot I was a plumbers Apprentice for five years before I graduated to a full journeyman for two years before TA called I gave that up to come down here..So when I here the whining or see it on Facebook like this job is the worse on the planet  I just shake my head and keep on trucking.. If those whining so much can do better they wouldn’t be here and that’s a fact…

Bro listen I'm about to get a little deep for the people coming in.

I lost both of my grandfathers to COVID within 4 months of one another. It gave me such perspective. My OGs came to this country to give us better opportunities and a better life. One of them was a tobacco farmer in DR who worked sun up to sundown 6 days a week to provide for his 9 children in a small rural town, then he came to this country at retirement age to continue working so he can try n bring all of his kids here from over there. Worked in a supermarket kitchen for another 10 years past his retirement age. The other was in the military in DR and then came here to work in factories and grocery stores his whole life well beyond 65 years old because he never had such a thing as a pension. Neither one of them ever saw more than 10 bucks an hour and they busted their asses down to the bone to provide for their kids.

Here i am, making 40 an hour to move a train back n forth. Hardest I'll work is doing a put in. If they can both see me now making such a nice living for my daughters while barely exerting myself, and i have the nerve to complain about it, they would shake their heads in embarrassment. The only thing i hate about this job is right now i have to work PMs which sucks because i love to be at home at night with my family, but that's gonna change very shortly.

All about perspective like i said.

Edited by beanz

1 hour ago, beanz said:

Bro listen I'm about to get a little deep for the people coming in.

I lost both of my grandfathers to COVID within 4 months of one another. It gave me such perspective. My OGs came to this country to give us better opportunities and a better life. One of them was a tobacco farmer in DR who worked sun up to sundown 6 days a week to provide for his 9 children in a small rural town, then he came to this country at retirement age to continue working so he can try n bring all of his kids here from over there. Worked in a supermarket kitchen for another 10 years past his retirement age. The other was in the military in DR and then came here to work in factories and grocery stores his whole life well beyond 65 years old because he never had such a thing as a pension. Neither one of them ever saw more than 10 bucks an hour and they busted their asses down to the bone to provide for their kids.

Here i am, making 40 an hour to move a train back n forth. Hardest I'll work is doing a put in. If they can both see me now making such a nice living for my daughters while barely exerting myself, and i have the nerve to complain about it, they would shake their heads in embarrassment. The only thing i hate about this job is right now i have to work PMs which sucks because i love to be at home at night with my family, but that's gonna change very shortly.

All about perspective like i said.

yea.....different generation u know?  more of a sacrifice.
a few of us have had cushy office jobs making the same pay.  so it's always about perspective.  if you came from a cushy job.....transit is horrible.  if you worked hard in a rough job previously then transit is a cakewalk.  grass is/was always greener on the proverbial side.
And yes there are folks who left the rotten hole for better careers, i know 3 already personally in my induction. 
point is.....one must becareful for what they wish for!!!
and yes i'm still in the hole cuz i'm not good enough to get a better job.  i'm just not smarter nor handsome enough.  also my gut definately hinders me from being a cutie pie during interviews!!  
my gut be plastering folks on the platform like MOOOOOVE!!!!

2 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

yea.....different generation u know?  more of a sacrifice.
a few of us have had cushy office jobs making the same pay.  so it's always about perspective.  if you came from a cushy job.....transit is horrible.  if you worked hard in a rough job previously then transit is a cakewalk.  grass is/was always greener on the proverbial side.
And yes there are folks who left the rotten hole for better careers, i know 3 already personally in my induction. 
point is.....one must becareful for what they wish for!!!
and yes i'm still in the hole cuz i'm not good enough to get a better job.  i'm just not smarter nor handsome enough.  also my gut definately hinders me from being a cutie pie during interviews!!  
my gut be plastering folks on the platform like MOOOOOVE!!!!

Listen if i made even close to the same in my previous job which was in an office setting, i wouldn't be here. I took a court assistant exam a while back and they have been sending me a lot of letters asking if I'm still interested for different courts. I imagine it's 9 to 5 or something close and no weekend work, but I'd lose something like 40k a year in salary. Comfort is nice but when u have a family and want to see them living a nice life, it's nothing to sacrifice your own for them. I know it's not always easy when u are xx, but it really does get better. In contrast, at my previous office there were older folks with 30 years in still being treated like trash. So while it was nice n comfy, your seniority means nothing in office settings or corporate America and here your seniority means a whole bunch.

18 hours ago, beanz said:

This just helped my anxiety in regards to what i will expect working there because some of these comments had me scared 

14 minutes ago, Nyhoneydip said:

This just helped my anxiety in regards to what i will expect working there because some of these comments had me scared 

It’s really not a hard job. The hardest part after schoolcar is staying aware and careful while operating. 

Edited by Jay-Oh

2 hours ago, Nyhoneydip said:

Don't listen to these negative ass people who have nothing nice to say. They complain but still are here, take it for your experience don't let these negative ass people tell you how to feel about a job.

2 hours ago, Nyhoneydip said:

Don't listen to these negative ass people who have nothing nice to say. They complain but still are here, take it for your experience don't let these negative ass people tell you how to feel about a job.