Metro-North Beacon Line may become bike trail

Italianstallion

On 11/12/2017 at 9:39 AM, RES2773 said:

I've always loved rail trails. As long as there can be future use, I definitely support this.

If they keep one track, I'll be happy.

Be careful not to fall for the "rail-banking" BS though. Once a railroad is turned into a rail trail, it's politically near impossible to convert it back to a road. The idea that rail trails can serve as effective interim solutions before the line is economically sustainable as a road again is basically a scam, and the truck lobby fought hard to pass the rails-to-trails act knowing that once railroads get turned into rail trails, the fate of that ROW is basically sealed against ever conveying freight again.

On 11/17/2017 at 2:25 AM, bobtehpanda said:

Realistically speaking, the Beacon Line is so roundabout and passes through such lightly populated areas that I doubt it would ever need more than a single track.

You wouldn't even need that.  With the highways in the vicinity,people are going drive where there is good service. 

Example, if I lived in Stormville, I'd drive the 15 minutes to Southeast than get on a infrequently running train from Stormville to go to Southeast by way of Beekman and Whaley Lake.  

It would be no different than the commuters that live in the Danbury area that choose to commute out of Southeast for the convenience of better service and no connections.

• 1 year later...

Not to go off topic, but it's interesting that the Breakneck Ridge improvements aren't slated for another year plus.  This was supposed to start January of 2018.

For those that frequent the area, PLEASE, don't walk on, along or across the tracks!  This past weekend we encountered a few people walking along the tracks in the tunnel.  When a train comes along, the outcome usually favors the train.  I can guarantee you, the train will not swerve to avoid you.  IF you're lucky, the train will stop in time, if you're lucky.

Edited by Truckie
Vocabulary

• 8 months later...

While I support a trail off to the side, I am vehemently opposed to destroying rail lines. I am a former business owner in Beacon, NY whose business was a stone throw from the train line.

While bike trail would have benefited my business (and the new owner would benefit now), I also think it is imperative to save unused lines for future use. The tri-state area’s population is growing and we must consider the impact a train line could have.

The Beacon Line starts in Beacon, NY (intersecting with the Hudson Line) and terminates at Southeast,NY (intersecting with the Harlem Line and the Maybrook Line which takes one in Danbury). How cool would it be for someone to hop on at Beacon or Hopewell and take a train to the Danbury Fair Mall.

The resurrection of the Beacon and Maybrook lines could reduce the dependency of I-84 (a highway locals LOATHE)

On 12/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, Optheduim said:

While I support a trail off to the side, I am vehemently opposed to destroying rail lines. I am a former business owner in Beacon, NY whose business was a stone throw from the train line.

While bike trail would have benefited my business (and the new owner would benefit now), I also think it is imperative to save unused lines for future use. The tri-state area’s population is growing and we must consider the impact a train line could have.

The Beacon Line starts in Beacon, NY (intersecting with the Hudson Line) and terminates at Southeast,NY (intersecting with the Harlem Line and the Maybrook Line which takes one in Danbury). How cool would it be for someone to hop on at Beacon or Hopewell and take a train to the Danbury Fair Mall.

The resurrection of the Beacon and Maybrook lines could reduce the dependency of I-84 (a highway locals LOATHE)

While the resurrection of the line could reduce the dependency of I 84, when does it become cost effective?  The infrastructure on the existing line is all but non existent.  Significant improvements would need to be made on the existing rail and a from scratch signal system would need to be installed, complete with multiple crossing apparatus.  

As it stands, there are numerous commuters that live in Danbury that drive to Southeast to commute to NYC because the Harlem Line is more frequent than the Danbury branch.  For someone that lives in Stormville, a train ride to either Southeast or Beacon is far from direct.  Further it would painfully increase a commute to NYC compared to driving to Beacon or Southeast.  

Also keep in mind, where the Beacon Line connects with the Harlem and the Hudson is less than ideal for connecting with already existing trains and ultimately would impact existing service.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 7:39 PM, Truckie said:

While the resurrection of the line could reduce the dependency of I 84, when does it become cost effective?  The infrastructure on the existing line is all but non existent.  Significant improvements would need to be made on the existing rail and a from scratch signal system would need to be installed, complete with multiple crossing apparatus.  

As it stands, there are numerous commuters that live in Danbury that drive to Southeast to commute to NYC because the Harlem Line is more frequent than the Danbury branch.  For someone that lives in Stormville, a train ride to either Southeast or Beacon is far from direct.  Further it would painfully increase a commute to NYC compared to driving to Beacon or Southeast.  

Also keep in mind, where the Beacon Line connects with the Harlem and the Hudson is less than ideal for connecting with already existing trains and ultimately would impact existing service.

As you mentioned, it does need to prove to be cost effective before a major upgrade makes sense—that I agree. However, I think it would irresponsible to replace it with other uses. Hudson Valley’s population IS growing. In my mind, it’s smarter (and cheaper) to have an extensive renovation, then create something from scratch (when the time comes).

On 1/2/2020 at 5:51 AM, Optheduim said:

As you mentioned, it does need to prove to be cost effective before a major upgrade makes sense—that I agree. However, I think it would irresponsible to replace it with other uses. Hudson Valley’s population IS growing. In my mind, it’s smarter (and cheaper) to have an extensive renovation, then create something from scratch (when the time comes).

Exactly.

I don't dislike trails, but I do when it involves converting a rail into a trail completely. Rails and trails should co-exist, so for when the time comes, it's cheaper to reactivate the line instead of redoing it all from scratch.

Look at the Rockaway Beach line, people want to turn it into a full park meanwhile the Q52/Q53 are absolutely packed to the max with passengers during rush hour. What's better, a dam park or an actual rail line?

On 1/6/2020 at 6:39 AM, Lawrence St said:

I don't dislike trails, but I do when it involves converting a rail into a trail completely. Rails and trails should co-exist, so for when the time comes, it's cheaper to reactivate the line instead of redoing it all from scratch.

And what part of the Beacon Line warrants keeping the rails intact?

1 hour ago, Lex said:

And what part of the Beacon Line warrants keeping the rails intact?

All of it! Why would we want less train service? At very least, why wouldn’t we at least want this in our back pocket for later use? Sorry to introduce politics in this matter, but if the green new deal ever came to fruition New York would at least have some skeleton to work with for a build-out.

2 hours ago, Optheduim said:

All of it! Why would we want less train service? At very least, why wouldn’t we at least want this in our back pocket for later use? Sorry to introduce politics in this matter, but if the green new deal ever came to fruition New York would at least have some skeleton to work with for a build-out.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

As said above, all of it. 

Look at all these rail lines that were abandoned/torn down that we are asking to restore service to today. NYWB, Putnam Divison, etc.

Hate to break it to you both, but Dutchess is no Westchester. Pretty much anything of note (and where people are looking to go) exists well south of this near-abandoned rail line (itself pretty far south within the county), and not much has changed since passenger service ended in 1927. At this point, any reactivation for passenger service requires concerted efforts by developers, businesses, communities, and the county government to justify it. Seeing that no such efforts exist, we'd be better off perishing the thought.

35 minutes ago, Lex said:

Hate to break it to you both, but Dutchess is no Westchester. Pretty much anything of note (and where people are looking to go) exists well south of this near-abandoned rail line (itself pretty far south within the county), and not much has changed since passenger service ended in 1927. At this point, any reactivation for passenger service requires concerted efforts by developers, businesses, communities, and the county government to justify it. Seeing that no such efforts exist, we'd be better off perishing the thought.

My business is walking distance to this line, I know the area very well. Your point is valid, but oddly, didn’t the MTA instal fiber optics along this line like 3 years ago (please verify this statement)? Clearly they still have some plan for this line...

CORRECTION TO MY LAST POST:

The MTA instal fiber optics along this line in 2007. If revived (including the Maybrook Line), Beaconites could take the train to Danbury where there is work and a large shopping mall. Furthermore, it takes strain off of i-84—which would be tremendously helpful in the winter.

fiber optic source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon_Line