Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Morning trips on the QM1 have been all filled for the most part, but at night all hell breaks loose. I put on BusTime in my office immediately before 4pm religiously, and start checking what’s coming and what isn’t, or I go to a random stop and start checking, and no matter what I make a point to check for EVERY QM1. The last two days, the 4:00 and the 4:30 have come. I note the time, bus # etc in my iPad to keep it for the Comptroller’s Office to show them how horrendous service has been on some lines. After 4:30 there seems to be SEVERAL QM1 buses missing, and yes this is strange because the 4:00pm and the 4:30pm are supposed to have second trips at 6:30 and 7pm respectively. I’m not sure if the drivers are screwing around or what, but that is VERY possible. I remember the first weekend we started monitoring service, we picked a Saturday because there was a detour along 6th. We tried to take TWO QM5 trips to Glen Oaks and could NOT get either trip, one at 6th and 42nd and the later one at 3rd and 57th. We NEVER got the one at 3rd and 57th, yet he pops up on BusTime going to Queens. Monday morning I buzzed my contact and told him, and he confirmed that the trips were missing but didn’t elaborate and apologized. Just imagine being chewed out about missing trips before the (MTA) Board, and that weekend you have trips that go missing. It’s like putting salt in an open wound. lol

Now that 3pm guy listen to this. I see the SAME bus later after having taken a trip with the QM6 to North Shore Towers. This bus is now a QM6 to Midtown (as I’m sure you know, the QM5 can turn into QM6s and vice versa). I board the bus to see who the driver is. It’s not a rookie. The guy is definitely a vet. The guy looked at me wondering if I was an (MTA) guy checking service but one of those undercover types looking to bust a driver doing something wrong. I could tell by the way he was eyeing me. When I got off at 57th and 3rd, I made a point to be a smart @ss and ask him point blank if he was the 3pm bus? He said no in a curt tone. I don’t buy that because that bus laid over right by North Shore Towers (kept tracking it on BusTime) and he had a nice long break, so I would be shocked if drivers were switched. Sunday morning I had a rookie on the QM6 and took her again to Midtown. 30 minutes late both ways. I suspect that that’s part of the problem too. Lots of newbies. She didn’t do anything more than 20 tops even though there was no traffic. Seemed like she was still in training the way she acted.

Some depots have not only new drivers but new management too, so it’s a bit of a mess, not to mention guys being promoted.

If you have the run sheets, you can actually verify without needing to ask the B/O. For the BC depots, they're out there (for the most part) in public. For the others, not really.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If you have the run sheets, you can actually verify without needing to ask the B/O. For the BC depots, they're out there (for the most part) in public. For the others, not really.

Yeah, I know that. I did that on purpose. I didn’t expect an answer, nor need one. I’ve figured out quite a few runs just by taking and tracking service as to what does what, but yes you are correct. A lot of trips were discussed already anyway as to what does what directly with the MTA, as we discussed specific trips, what they did, and why they had problems. I’d also be an idiot to say exactly what I know and don’t know. Sometimes it’s best to play stupid and see how people react. I don’t run the group by myself, and each of us has experience dealing with one thing or another. In any event, that isn’t that important. What’s important is what is coming and what isn’t and why. I have retired B/Os in the group and current ones if I really needed to pick someone’s brain or get additional info. Don’t need it. I will say that we have great people in the group that I talk to daily about the ins and outs and what’s happening. The run sheets don’t tell the whole story, that’s for sure. lol Hell if I was desperate I could just call up my uncle and ask him stuff. He was a B/O for over 20 years. He doesn’t even know I run the group. lol As I said, I can get things I need if I really need it.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

43 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Is Queens getting a redesign like Staten Island?  If they are, do you have any idea when it would take place and what kind of modifications to routes they would make?

ALL boroughs are getting a redesign. The Bronx is up next and we will be watching CLOSELY because so far these redesigns have been SERVICE CUTS. Staten Island continues to see horrendous service. If this is what they’re calling a “success”, God help us all. 

On 1/12/2019 at 1:50 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

ALL boroughs are getting a redesign. The Bronx is up next and we will be watching CLOSELY because so far these redesigns have been SERVICE CUTS. Staten Island continues to see horrendous service. If this is what they’re calling a “success”, God help us all. 

Don’t ask God for help, ask ——- for help. He has all the money in the 🌎 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by FLX9304

Latest developments:

-We have been in talks with the Riders Alliance about perhaps working together.  We will talk further at an upcoming workshop.

-Senator Alessandra Biaggi has agreed to join our Express Bus Advocacy Group. She represents a number of areas without subways such as the BxM1, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4, BxM8, BxM9, BxM10 and BxM18.

Just announced by James Oddo:

Per James Oddo: ATTENTION SIM2 & SIM5 express bus customers: We have heard you!

The MTA is adding 2 Staten Island-bound SIM2 trips at 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. AND one Staten Island-bound SIM5 trip at 5:05 p.m.

These will be implemented tomorrow (Jan. 17).

The MTA, ATU Local 726 and me and my team will continue to work this redesign until we get this right

The Express Bus Advocacy Group has been calling out Oddo on social media and we will continue to do so. Staten Islanders need MORE relief!! We will continue to push for more service and more importantly push to get the MTA to FILL ALL TRIPS!! Unacceptable to have so many missing buses!!

Upcoming topics for next MTA meeting:

We will split the meeting into two segments - The DOT first and then questions regarding service (the agenda will be modified given the ongoing issues)

DOT segment:

-HOV lane possibilities and expansions (Expansion of hours on Gowanus); HOV possibilities on Deegan, Bruckner, Cross Bronx and LIE/Horace Harding Expressway

-Identify issues along Queens Blvd and Northern Blvd that hinder QM express bus service and consider TSP for segments of Queens Blvd and Northern Blvd if HOV lane on the LIE is not an option

-Put QM2/QM20/QM32 back on 57th street going to Bay Terrace

-Traffic mitigation for QM15, QM16 and QM17 riders. We now have A LOT of riders in our group from the Rockaways or Howard Beach/Lindenwood that complain about 2 hour commutes going to Queens. Must be addressed.  Additionally, we will inquire about having the QM15 run on Sundays and be extended to the Rockaways in some fashion. This would also provide express bus service 7 days a week along Woodhaven and Cross Bay Blvd.

-Double bus lanes on 6th Avenue

-Additional proposals for bus lanes

-Traffic Signal Priority (TSP) proposals for specific express bus lines and where the DOT is with the project (currently NO express bus uses TSP)

-Requests for more bus shelters at specific bus stops with a list provided

-Staten Island bus stop restorations

-BxM3 bus stop for Broadway and West 261st street.

MTA segment:

-Staten Island express bus issues. What is being done to address ongoing gaps in service and what is the cause of them. Is it traffic? Lack of maintenance? We see gaps in service at 5 in the morning. Inexcusable....

-Return of SIM2 off-peak in some capacity. Unacceptable to have all SIM2 service eliminated. We need something back serving the South Shore

-Ulmer Park Depot situation - Ongoing service issues with the X27, X37, X28 and X38

-QM1, QM5 and QM6 and Union Turnpike corridor.  We will discuss the issue with missing PM trips on the QM1. We want them all filled and we want to know why we see 2 - 3 PM trips regularly unfilled.  QM5 and QM6... HORRENDOUS schedules to Queens.  Buses are often times 20 minutes late before they even reach Union Turnpike and Main Street, and finish 20 - 40 minutes late, even during times when there is no traffic. Schedules must be changed.

-BxM2 issues with 04:05pm trip to Riverdale. Often a 50 GAP in service because the bus is either a no-show or runs 20 minutes late. Possibility of an earlier Southbound trip on BxM1 that skips Inwood.

-Request for QM2 00:00 restoration and two BxM10 trips - 21:45 and 22:45 to Morris Park/Eastchester

-Discussion to restore X18 and X14 for North Shore

Other news:

-The new 05:30 BxM8 to Midtown has a been a big hit with Pelham Bay and City Island riders (yes City Island - some people drive to Pelham Bay for the BxM8)

Just now, trife86 said:

Actually tell them we need triple bus lanes so hopefully one of them might be clear enough to drive through haha.

Speaking of which the (MTA) pushed for no right turns during peak hours. DOT balked... I'm going to bring that up and see what they say. These cars all turning clog up BOTH bus lanes.  They need to find a remedy for that.  If they're going to take up both of them ticket them. You don't need your car blocking BOTH bus lanes to make a turn.  The other thing is the idiots blocking the box. They haven't been enforcing anything, so the morons blocking the box also block BOTH bus lanes rendering them useless.

I'm also going to be inquiring about where the DOT is regarding putting cameras back on buses so that they can catch offenders and snap license plates.  I've been taking photos of offenders in bus lanes and the cops have been cracking down here and there but we need continued enforcement to stop this crap. Too many drivers abusing the bus lanes and the HOV lanes.

@QM1to6Ave FYI... Don't expect a 7pm QM1... For the last three days now there has been NO 5:30pm, NO 6:30pm and NO 7:00pm.  3059 did the 4:30pm, but was sitting at the terminal after 6pm. No way he's coming back to Manhattan. I'd be shocked if he did.

Tonight we have started reaching out to elected officials about this problem via social media and asking them to join our Advocacy Group.

Funny how the 7pm trip was filled tonight after my two posts... I also reached out to David Weprin for starters...

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@QM1to6Ave FYI... Don't expect a 7pm QM1... For the last three days now there has been NO 5:30pm, NO 6:30pm and NO 7:00pm.  3059 did the 4:30pm, but was sitting at the terminal after 6pm. No way he's coming back to Manhattan. I'd be shocked if he did.

Tonight we have started reaching out to elected officials about this problem via social media and asking them to join our Advocacy Group.

Funny how the 7pm trip was filled tonight after my two posts... I also reached out to David Weprin for starters...

Ha, I noticed the same thing...left the office a little early today and was hoping to catch the 6:30 QM1. Of course it wasn't there, so I got stuck on a packed QM5

On 1/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The MTA is adding 2 Staten Island-bound SIM2 trips at 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. AND one Staten Island-bound SIM5 trip at 5:05 p.m.

These will be implemented tomorrow (Jan. 17).

Just checked BusTime and the 2 and 2:30 SIM2 trips aren't there.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Just checked BusTime and the 2 and 2:30 SIM2 trips aren't there.

Wouldn't shock me.  There's a bunch of missing buses tonight already. I don't know what in the hell is going on, but this agency has a chronic problem making service.  That much is true.  Even at 5 in the morning, we have tracked certain lines and there are several buses missing, OR we have passengers tell us, yeah my daughter takes the 5:15 BxM9 in the morning, and the bus didn't show up so it was standing room only. Ridiculous... 

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Wouldn't shock me.  There's a bunch of missing buses tonight already. I don't know what in the hell is going on, but this agency has a chronic problem making service.  That much is true.  Even at 5 in the morning, we have tracked certain lines and there are several buses missing, OR we have passengers tell us, yeah my daughter takes the 5:15 BxM9 in the morning, and the bus didn't show up so it was standing room only. Ridiculous... 

The 5:05 PM SIM5 did come...

But is running 10 minutes late, leaving it bunched with the 5:15 PM bus.

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The 5:05 PM SIM5 did come...

But is running 10 minutes late, leaving it bunched with the 5:15 PM bus.

Tonight's service is the pits and I don't understand it at all. @QM1to6Ave I spoke with David Weprin's office a few minutes ago via social media about the QM1 and I'm trying to get him to join the group so that he can see the MESS that you've been dealing with for months. It's really ridiculous. Tonight I didn't see a 4pm bus.  The next two buses came.  They haven't had one night now in WEEKS where they've been able to fill all seven PM trips. 

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Tonight's service is the pits and I don't understand it at all. @QM1to6Ave I spoke with David Weprin's office a few minutes ago via social media about the QM1 and I'm trying to get him to join the group so that he can see the MESS that you've been dealing with for months. It's really ridiculous. Tonight I didn't see a 4pm bus.  The next two buses came.  They haven't had one night now in WEEKS where they've been able to fill all seven PM trips. 

No 5:30 PM QM1 either, and the 4:30 PM and 5 PM buses are around 15 minutes apart. Saying the 4:30 PM trip won't get to it's terminal until around 6:05 PM. I don't expect a 7:00 PM trip either. And since the 4 PM trip wasn't filled today, the 6:30 PM might not show up either.

If my predictions are true, that's more than half of the QM1 buses that were missing tonight.

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

No 5:30 PM QM1 either, and the 4:30 PM and 5 PM buses are around 15 minutes apart. Saying the 4:30 PM trip won't get to it's terminal until around 6:05 PM. I don't expect a 7:00 PM trip either. And since the 4 PM trip wasn't filled today, the 6:30 PM might not show up either.

If my predictions are true, that's more than half of the QM1 buses that were missing tonight.

I didn't expect a 7pm last night either but yelled and screamed on social media about what a mess the QM1 has been now and then it was sent out. Worse of all they aren't even turning the QM5 trips into via Fresh Meadows trips to accommodate the QM1 riders that need Fresh Meadows. There is no way in hell anyone can defend the amount of trips that go missing on that line every single day.  If you can't make service during rush hour on 30 minute headways, you clearly have a chronic problem.  

It's not the bus operators either. This is a managerial problem.  They just cannot consistently fill trips for days in a row. Now I sit and make bets on which trips won't be filled every night because it's become so predictable now.

So to recap the QM1 tonight, per BusTime: No 4pm, no 5:30pm and no 6pm. Already three out of 7 trips not filled. David Weprin is supposed to be joining the group now. Just talked with one of his staffers and showed him the letter that my Assemblyman wrote to the Comptroller's Office about how horrendous service has been. 

As the letter says below, even using the (MTA) 's own metric, since August 2017, they haven't been able to get on-time performance above 70%, and dropped below 50% for the last three months available in 2018. I can believe it because looking at the trips that I've taken and logged, often times on-time performance was well below 50%.

49938009_10215622992740334_6050449115685

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No 6:30 pm bus either...left the office early again, and sure enough, no bus. Luckily I'm making a stop in Forest Hills tonight, so I jumped on a QM4 which is currently nice and empty. 

What's also interesting is that the QM31's actually get filled very consistently. They seem to run like clockwork most nights. The whole thing just makes no sense!

Edited by QM1to6Ave

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

No 6:30 pm bus either...left the office early again, and sure enough, no bus. Luckily I'm making a stop in Forest Hills tonight, so I jumped on a QM4 which is currently nice and empty. 

Not surprised.  There hasn't been a QM1 bus since 5pm.... Just think about that. Almost TWO hours during rush hour with no QM1 service. I'm going to see if they send out the 7pm bus now because the 4:30pm came.

That's nice of them to send out the last bus....

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not surprised.  There hasn't been a QM1 bus since 5pm.... Just think about that. Almost TWO hours during rush hour with no QM1 service. I'm going to see if they send out the 7pm bus now because the 4:30pm came.

7 pm bus is running. I guess they figure that's a good enough percentage LOL