Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

On 7/4/2022 at 12:45 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

They won't need them if they push through all the proposed cuts in queens...

I wouldn't be surprised if they push back procurement to end of year to coincide with the Queens bus redesign final draft release.  Let's see if the MTA is really serious about making crazy cuts after blinking in the Bronx.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 7-express said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they push back procurement to end of year to coincide with the Queens bus redesign final draft release.  Let's see if the MTA is really serious about making crazy cuts after blinking in the Bronx.

I don't understand why people continue to speculate on such things? There is nothing that states when the final draft will be released.  Highly annoying.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't understand why people continue to speculate on such things? There is nothing that states when the final draft will be released.  Highly annoying.

It's just basic extrapolation based off how the Bronx plan was carried out.  The Bronx draft came out in June 2019 with the final being unveiled on October 2019 before COVID froze everything over.  It's not unreasonable that the Queens plan will follow a somewhat similar timeline, just slightly elongated due to the sheer complexity and amount of routes in Queens versus the Bronx.

45 minutes ago, 7-express said:

It's just basic extrapolation based off how the Bronx plan was carried out.  The Bronx draft came out in June 2019 with the final being unveiled on October 2019 before COVID froze everything over.  It's not unreasonable that the Queens plan will follow a somewhat similar timeline, just slightly elongated due to the sheer complexity and amount of routes in Queens versus the Bronx.

You are basing it on something that happened pre-pandemic, when we had different leadership at the (MTA). Different times. The previous leadership had a much more stringent timeline.

@Bill from Maspeth I will respond here, as I don't believe the thread you posted in is for that purpose. Anywho, I had whole discussion with the (MTA) about the legroom a while ago and got some tweaks made. Explanation is in the article. The legroom was even worse than what it is before the tweak, but it will not be much more because of the wheelchair situation. I believe most of the earlier new express buses should've been pulled that had the issue (there was roughly 100 or so, and the new ones will have the latest configuration). They ultimately agreed with me that the legroom was an issue and went back to the older layout that the old Prevosts had, which yields a little more legroom (I do notice the difference, the difference being that before my legs were crushed against the back seat originally, versus now where I have actually a little room to move). The wheelchair rows will offer the most legroom, so you should definitely go for those if you're concerned.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/3/2/22959075/mta-will-retool-more-express-buses-for-leg-room-after-complaints

The chains should be off of the old express buses, but will remain up on the new express buses until further notice. There is a space issue that has to be worked out on the new Prevosts that doesn't exist on the old express buses.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this note in the capital plan amendment.  Any idea what it means?

"The project to purchase 23 express buses was reduced at award to 19 buses with an associated budget reduction (-$4 million), as the remaining four buses were purchased via an alternate funding source outside the capital program."

11 hours ago, 7-express said:

I saw this note in the capital plan amendment.  Any idea what it means?

"The project to purchase 23 express buses was reduced at award to 19 buses with an associated budget reduction (-$4 million), as the remaining four buses were purchased via an alternate funding source outside the capital program."

You should post the actual source as in link and what page you got it from so that there is background info.

https://new.mta.info/document/89781

I found something. My guess is that is part of the NYCT express bus order that originally slated 50 buses to go to Staten Island.  With the (MTA) taking over the SIM23 & SIM24, those 19 buses could be used to provide new buses to those lines and perhaps expand that service (which a number of riders have requested), or add service elsewhere on Staten Island or retire other fleet.  Both lines received older fleet from (MTA) Bus originally.

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 the southbound BxM3 stop at 259th St shows the BM3 to Midtown…embarrassing.

Get me a photo and I can reach out to my DOT contact and see how soon it can be fixed. They were behind with creating signage, etc. due to COVID, but hopefully are catching up on these sorts of things.

They recently fixed this signage that was missing information at 42nd & 6th for me.

295237540_10224949554658553_841478366866

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

cDSG6bd.png

@Via Garibaldi 8 and its been like this for 10 years...

LOL I just looked on Google maps. You're right. This is goof by DOT. I will put in a request tomorrow to have this corrected.  With the Bronx local bus stops being removed, it may take a while between that and them restoring stops that they accidentally removed. 

UPDATE: Put in the request. Once they inspect the location, they'll provide an update with a turnaround time. May be a few months, as they have to create new signage.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 Is there anyway you can ask the DOT to move the BxM3 southbound stop at 262nd St to the rear pole where Hudson Link boards, there’s always a Bx9 laid over or picking up people at the stop and the drivers can’t see us.

The easiest solution would be to have those Bx9 drivers layover elsewhere. Moving the sign won't matter if they can layover in the entire stop. I can ask and see if Supervision can keep an eye out, assuming of course that there is somewhere else for them to layover. This is Kingsbridge Depot right?

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The easiest solution would be to have those Bx9 drivers layover elsewhere. Moving the sign won't matter if they can layover in the entire stop. I can ask and see if Supervision can keep an eye out, assuming of course that there is somewhere else for them to layover. This is Kingsbridge Depot right?

Well no, another Bx9 can’t turn around if there’s a bus parked where Hudson Link boards. But I can’t blame the drivers because they’re always running late, so I think the easiest solution would be to move the stop back a bit.

59 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Well no, another Bx9 can’t turn around if there’s a bus parked where Hudson Link boards. But I can’t blame the drivers because they’re always running late, so I think the easiest solution would be to move the stop back a bit.

The issue is moving bus stops generally speaking requires the approval of the (MTA), unless it's specifically the DOT that is overseeing a project where they are making changes to the street and removing or moving bus stops, such as along Northern Blvd. It's a long, complicated process. Assuming that the (MTA) even can be convinced that there is an issue, they then have to send someone out to survey the stop, then assess if it makes sense to move the stop, then figure out where to move it, send the request to DOT and then the stop could be moved, but DOT has up to at least 90 days from then (could be more with the pandemic). I just know because I had a BxM1 stop moved at 86th and 3rd and it took months. Right now I have been having a long discussion with them about the SIM6/SIM11 stop at Lex and 33rd. They have been adamant about keeping it there despite the stop being filled with garbage and being next to two parking garages. They also refused to move the SIM stop at 5th and 32nd. They did get buses that were parking there out of the stop at our request (myself and another advocate had been working on it and I took it up), but CVS trucks will still park there to unload, so there are always a few stops that are a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

Got on a CP bus this morning and for the first time in a long while, the first 3 rows on each side were blocked off by chains/stuff the driver was carrying with him.  Just a tad annoying a bus with 35 people on it.  I have the bus number and run time/route if you need it for anything.

7 hours ago, 7-express said:

Got on a CP bus this morning and for the first time in a long while, the first 3 rows on each side were blocked off by chains/stuff the driver was carrying with him.  Just a tad annoying a bus with 35 people on it.  I have the bus number and run time/route if you need it for anything.

Was it an old express bus of a new one? Chains are only supposed to be on the new express buses (should be the first two rows) and that is because of the space between the first few rows and the bus operator. Chains should not be on any of the old express buses. Personal belongings should be put in the overhead bins. Since things have been developing with this, I confirmed recently with the (MTA) since a number of commuters were inquiring in my group about it.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Was it an old express bus of a new one? Chains are only supposed to be on the new express buses (should be the first two rows) and that is because of the space between the first few rows and the bus operator. Chains should not be on any of the old express buses. Personal belongings should be put in the overhead bins. Since things have been developing with this, I confirmed recently with the (MTA) since a number of commuters were inquiring in my group about it.

It was a newer Prevost express bus.  First two rows behind the driver and 3 rows on the opposite side were chained off.  Is this because they don't have the shower curtain installed yet like on the MCIs?  Not that I see any driver use it on the MCIs outside of one time...

13 minutes ago, 7-express said:

It was a newer Prevost express bus.  First two rows behind the driver and 3 rows on the opposite side were chained off.  Is this because they don't have the shower curtain installed yet like on the MCIs?  Not that I see any driver use it on the MCIs outside of one time...

It's because on the newer express buses, the distance is closer to the bus operator in terms of the first few rows in front. It's evident when you board and exit the bus too. It's narrower. I was told that the chains will remain on the new express buses until further notice. I believe the ones that were outfitted with the new floor to ceiling shields offers better protection, but the new express buses that have those "shower curtains" have to be pulled over time and retrofitted with the new shields. Obviously if the seats are blocked off then it doesn't matter if personal belongings are in them, as they are not supposed to be used to sit in (unless the driver allows it of course).

On 8/29/2022 at 5:04 PM, 7-express said:

I did reach out today to my folks about this because I've been boarding a number of the old express buses where seats are blocked with personal belongings, which should not be happening. Will continue to monitor.

How has service been in terms of the QMs running on-time?

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I did reach out today to my folks about this because I've been boarding a number of the old express buses where seats are blocked with personal belongings, which should not be happening. Will continue to monitor.

I haven't had any significant issues recently, but traffic and usage has been at summer levels so we shall see what happens after labor day

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I haven't had any significant issues recently, but traffic and usage has been at summer levels so we shall see what happens after labor day

There was a very late QM5 to Midtown (the 7pm). Not sure what the story was.

One step forward, two steps backwards. The positive is that they seem to finally be reprogramming the screens on the new express buses to address the Stop Requested issues so that when you request a stop, the Stop Requested alert remains on the screen from the time the bell is rung until the time the bus reaches the stop. Noticed it last weekend when I was coming home on the express bus. Took them long enough, ax I had been following up with their tech folks for a while. In the bad side, these express buses have ongoing problems. The latest is that a number of them leak, like this one. Bus is only about six years old. Second bus this week...

302752173_5346701612104019_2737282283186

Yesterday I was on a new one and I thought something was going to fall from the overhead area and hit me. Kept hearing the strangest sounds from the overhead area. The screws on some of the new ones fall out leaving sections of the overhead area just dangling. Shoddy manufacturing...

23 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My early AM buses have been fine and on-time...usually about 25-35 people on my bus depending on the day.  My early PM bus have been okay too save for a few times 59th Street and the bridge get backed up to hell (today was one, which caused a net 30 minute delay).  I have noticed some QM2s opting to continue taking 59th Street instead of 57th Street going east, which causes delays on some days adding 5-10 mins to the run.

Of course this is with summer level traffic so we'll see what happens after Labor Day when supposedly more people return to work and school is back in full force.

I'm just dreading UN week coming up in late September.  I'll probably bail on the express bus those days and find a better way east during the PM rush.  It's too bad they can't make more runs SX for that week to try and avoid some of the insanity.

22 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One step forward, two steps backwards. The positive is that they seem to finally be reprogramming the screens on the new express buses to address the Stop Requested issues so that when you request a stop, the Stop Requested alert remains on the screen from the time the bell is rung until the time the bus reaches the stop. Noticed it last weekend when I was coming home on the express bus. Took them long enough, ax I had been following up with their tech folks for a while. In the bad side, these express buses have ongoing problems. The latest is that a number of them leak, like this one. Bus is only about six years old. Second bus this week...

Great news that the Stop Requested sign will stay up instead of being covered up by ads.  I was on one earlier this week and it was annoying that it didn't switch to saying Stop Requested until the driver was pulling into the stop itself.  The new Prevosts out of CP seem fine to me besides that on the few times I've had them.  AC seems a bit better than the MCIs and the suspension is much nicer/smoother compared to the usual bumpy ride when you're sitting on top of the rear wheels.  The narrow front door turn is a bit annoying and I sometimes forget there is another step up after the driver to get into the passenger area.

10 minutes ago, 7-express said:

My early AM buses have been fine and on-time...usually about 25-35 people on my bus depending on the day.  My early PM bus have been okay too save for a few times 59th Street and the bridge get backed up to hell (today was one, which caused a net 30 minute delay).  I have noticed some QM2s opting to continue taking 59th Street instead of 57th Street going east, which causes delays on some days adding 5-10 mins to the run.

Of course this is with summer level traffic so we'll see what happens after Labor Day when supposedly more people return to work and school is back in full force.

I'm just dreading UN week coming up in late September.  I'll probably bail on the express bus those days and find a better way east during the PM rush.  It's too bad they can't make more runs SX for that week to try and avoid some of the insanity.

UN week won't be as terrible. Fewer people working in the office. I think office occupancy is something like 30%, maybe a little higher. I am going back to work from home permanently soon, but currently only in the office once or twice a week. Counting down the time... 

4 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Great news that the Stop Requested sign will stay up instead of being covered up by ads.  I was on one earlier this week and it was annoying that it didn't switch to saying Stop Requested until the driver was pulling into the stop itself.  The new Prevosts out of CP seem fine to me besides that on the few times I've had them.  AC seems a bit better than the MCIs and the suspension is much nicer/smoother compared to the usual bumpy ride when you're sitting on top of the rear wheels.  The narrow front door turn is a bit annoying and I sometimes forget there is another step up after the driver to get into the passenger area.

Excellent. I kept hounding their tech team about it via e-mail and they kept promising that they were working on it.