Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Queens express re-design plan is complete garbage. #Fin. 

I actually like a lot of proposed route changes. They make a lot of sense... The issue is below with the spans/frequencies:

277672246_10224329414275431_386444213144

-QM3 service would be eliminated

-QM20 service off-peak would be eliminated

-QM4 off-peak & weekend service would be eliminated

-QM15 off-peak & weekend service would be curtailed with longer waits (90 minutes vs 60).

-QM2, QM5, QM6 off-peak/weekend service would be curtailed.

-QM1 service to Fresh Meadows would run 7 days a week, but only every 90 minutes on weekends and every 60 minutes off-peak.

38 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I actually like a lot of proposed route changes. They make a lot of sense... The issue is below with the spans/frequencies:

-QM15 off-peak & weekend service would be curtailed with longer waits (90 minutes vs 60).

-QM1 service to Fresh Meadows would run 7 days a week, but only every 90 minutes on weekends and every 60 minutes off-peak.

QM3, QM20 service id leave alone. 
QM15 definitely needs 60 minutes service. 
modify QM4 off peak/weekend to 60 mins 

QM2, QM5, QM6 patrons would raise hell on their off peak/weekend service. 

I agree with you on the QM1 service for 60 mins. 

The QM2 cuts are not ideal with the midday/off-peak cuts.  The QM20 is basically unchanged from the previous draft plan, which is complete trash because it goes from an all-weekday line to just a few runs during the peak hours.  Definitely a setback to me and my commute if implemented as-is.

As for the return routing along the LIE instead of Northern Blvd, I don't see how this would save any time but this could also be them getting ready to cut lanes from Northern Blvd.

The more I look at the plan the more it' feels like the MTA took a hands off approach with the express buses really just minor adjustments with some service cuts slipped in to see if people will notice. Like the fact they still didn't match the stops on Linden Blvd with the QM21 and 63 and then decided to remove the Main St stop on the QM68 but not the QM21. They didn't put in the effort to make proper off peak express routes like the did with Staten Island and it shows. Putting all the buses on the LIE is just as bad as putting them on Queens Blvd. It seems they really didn't put as much effort on this part of the proposal as they did with the local buses.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

QM3, QM20 service id leave alone. 
QM15 definitely needs 60 minutes service. 
modify QM4 off peak/weekend to 60 mins 

QM2, QM5, QM6 patrons would raise hell on their off peak/weekend service. 

I agree with you on the QM1 service for 60 mins. 

I am LIVID about this QM1 proposal BS...correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading tells me that Union Turnpike would only have service from Manhattan until 7 pm all 7 days per week?? Are you kidding me?? The 8:10 QM5 I regularly take is PACKED, and the vast majority of customers get off before 188th street. And don't get me started on the 60-90 minute headways at all times. Meanwhile, the service east of 188th street stays mostly the same in terms of times service span. Why don't they just have those buses also stop on Union Tpke after 7 pm, like they do now? In other words, if they want to split service east vs. west of 188th street, fine, but only do that during peak hours if it means screwing over everyone west of 188th street off peak and on weekends. 

It seems like they are getting ready to ax half of the EXP B/Os based on the amount of cuts that are coming

When is this horror show set to be implemented? I will sure as h*ll be writing in complaints and attending the zoom meetings about this

Edited by QM1to6Ave

12 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I am LIVID about this QM1 proposal BS...correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading tells me that Union Turnpike would only have service from Manhattan until 7 pm all 7 days per week?? Are you kidding me?? The 8:10 QM5 I regularly take is PACKED, and the vast majority of customers get off before 188th street. And don't get me started on the 60-90 minute headways at all times.

It seems like they are getting ready to ax half of the EXP B/Os based on the amount of cuts that are coming

When is this horror show set to be implemented? I will sure as h*ll be writing in complaints and attending the zoom meetings about this

That is not right. They are keeping the spans but dramatically slashing the frequencies, so off-peak AND weekends, the QM1, QM5 and QM6 will only run every 90 minutes. They will have the QM1 run 7 days a week to cover service up to 188th St and then have the QM5 and QM6 stop making pick-ups after 188th St. 

I was reviewing everything in my office today, but I have to get some stuff off of my iPad here at home.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That is not right. They are keeping the spans but dramatically slashing the frequencies, so off-peak AND weekends, the QM1, QM5 and QM6 will only run every 90 minutes. They will have the QM1 run 7 days a week to cover service up to 188th St and then have the QM5 and QM6 stop making pick-ups after 188th St. 

I was reviewing everything in my office today, but I have to get some stuff off of my iPad here at home.

Got it...but in terms of when service ends, it seems to end at 7 pm on the QM1, but at 12/12:30 am on the QM5/6, correct?

2 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Got it...but in terms of when service ends, it seems to end at 7 pm on the QM1, but at 12/12:30 am on the QM5/6, correct?

Yeah, the QM5 and QM6 will still run until the same times that they do now, but yes, the QM1 would end earlier. 

I'm insanely busy with work right now, but we'll carve out time to get fliers out and circulate them and do some other things. I wanted to start today, but was slammed with work. 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, the QM5 and QM6 will still run until the same times that they do now, but yes, the QM1 would end earlier. 

That's my biggest issue with the cuts...the slashed frequencies are horrible, but having no service at all after 7 pm is going to kill ridership, especially since so many jobs have more flexible hours outside of traditional working times.

Honestly, if this goes into effect as is, it's another reason pushing me to move out of Queens or switch to a mostly remote job based out of NYC, which will lead the city to lose money from me.

Edited by QM1to6Ave

7 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's my biggest issue with the cuts...the slashed frequencies are horrible, but having no service at all after 7 pm is going to kill ridership, especially since so many jobs have more flexible hours outside of traditional working times.

Honestly, if this goes into effect as is, it's another reason pushing me to move out of Queens

My interview with Greg Mocker tonight:

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/queens/mta-proposal-would-remove-more-than-1600-bus-stops/

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Honestly, if this goes into effect as is, it's another reason pushing me to move out of Queens or switch to a mostly remote job based out of NYC, which will lead the city to lose money from me.

It was stated in the slide deck that they're still using pre-pandemic ridership data, which is definitely crap for express bus ridership decisions since people are still figuring out return to office this year and what that will look like.

In my eyes, the Queens express bus redesign will have to end up like the Bronx one...relatively frozen besides a couple minor changes.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I want what these guys at 2 Broadway are smoking

13 hours ago, 7-express said:

The QM2 cuts are not ideal with the midday/off-peak cuts.  The QM20 is basically unchanged from the previous draft plan, which is complete trash because it goes from an all-weekday line to just a few runs during the peak hours.  Definitely a setback to me and my commute if implemented as-is.

As for the return routing along the LIE instead of Northern Blvd, I don't see how this would save any time but this could also be them getting ready to cut lanes from Northern Blvd.

Also just noticed that they removed the QM2 weekend routing through Mitchell-Linden.  Not sure why they did this besides a slight run time improvement but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when they have the opportunity to gain a few extra customers when the QM20 isn't running.

Also, will the DOT be okay with re-routing so many QMs down 57th Street after past resistance to moving buses from 59th Street?  Also not sure how the Queensboro Bridge deck replacement plays a role in this with the staggered work due to take place through 2023.

4 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Also just noticed that they removed the QM2 weekend routing through Mitchell-Linden.  Not sure why they did this besides a slight run time improvement but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when they have the opportunity to gain a few extra customers when the QM20 isn't running.

Also, will the DOT be okay with re-routing so many QMs down 57th Street after past resistance to moving buses from 59th Street?  Also not sure how the Queensboro Bridge deck replacement plays a role in this with the staggered work due to take place through 2023.

If they put this in the plan, then they should've definitely spoken with the DOT about this, but I will not assume that they did because they made proposals in the Bronx Express Bus Redesign that was contingent on them speaking with the DOT, only to find out that they hadn't had any communication about their proposals. lol

That said, the amount of QM express buses coming across 57th St in this plan would be greatly reduced, so it wouldn't matter.

4 hours ago, 7-express said:

That bridge traffic due to the replacement is pretty bad, and it will only get worse. Between all the traffic and these cuts, I may end up moving to a place with better commuting opportunities or switch to a mostly virtual job. I've had enough with this nonsense as EXP service just continually declines

51 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That bridge traffic due to the replacement is pretty bad, and it will only get worse. Between all the traffic and these cuts, I may end up moving to a place with better commuting opportunities or switch to a mostly virtual job. I've had enough with this nonsense as EXP service just continually declines

Not looking forward to it on my end.  I'm back to the office next week and will be riding again so I'll see how bad traffic is.  Though I plan to be on the earlier buses in an attempt to beat some traffic.

37 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Not looking forward to it on my end.  I'm back to the office next week and will be riding again so I'll see how bad traffic is.  Though I plan to be on the earlier buses in an attempt to beat some traffic.

In my experience, the traffic starts after about 2 pm most days and lasts until about 10 pm (because of the bridge repairs)...it's horrible.

I'm not sure if this is mentioned, but if the MTA wants better express service, my proposal will be to run buses anytime of the day (at least 30 minutes). This especially includes the QM21 from Baisley Park, the QM3 from College Point, and the QM24/34 and QM25 from LaGuardia. 

Also regarding about the Queens bus redesign, I am concerned on how express service will remove many stops, in order for the MTA to have flexible service. An example would be that I rode on the QM6 back to Manhattan from LIJ Hospital. During my ride back home, there was no one on each stop after LIJ, making it feel like a Super Express. The routes should also not cut back times, and rather do 24/7 bus service, just like with other local/limited routes around the city. I don't know if the idea would be perfect, but this is just my proposal.

6 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I'm not sure if this is mentioned, but if the MTA wants better express service, my proposal will be to run buses anytime of the day (at least 30 minutes). This especially includes the QM21 from Baisley Park, the QM3 from College Point, and the QM24/34 and QM25 from LaGuardia. 

Also regarding about the Queens bus redesign, I am concerned on how express service will remove many stops, in order for the MTA to have flexible service. An example would be that I rode on the QM6 back to Manhattan from LIJ Hospital. During my ride back home, there was no one on each stop after LIJ, making it feel like a Super Express. The routes should also not cut back times, and rather do 24/7 bus service, just like with other local/limited routes around the city. I don't know if the idea would be perfect, but this is just my proposal.

Simply put, no $$$$$ for those type of service increases.

I'm replying to your first paragraph btw.